matt6242

please educate, holes inside cells on ribs.

I hope this is not a dumb question but something I have never paid much attention to until now. I just noticed today that the oval shaped cut outs inside the ribs on my brand new katana ( 35 jumps) 2 of them appear to have some fraying and slight minor tears ( when I say tears mabey 2 mm.) It was just one of those things that caught my eye while I was packing.
I opened up my other canopy, a Stiletto which has about 500 jumps to see what the cut out's looked like on it, and a few of them had some fraying and real amall tears.
To be entirely honest I am really not 100% sure what those cut-outs puprose are or even their offical name.Those who know me know I am a freak about caring for my gear. I just want to make sure there is nothing wrong my my canopies especially my new one. Those cut outs have no reinforced seams or stitching so I would guess they dont undergo much stress??
Riggers please educate me, and thanks in advance.

They are called "cross ports" and they help your canopy open. After a few hundred jumps they can become a little frayed.

If you have the experience to jump a katana you had better spend some time learning about you gear. It is not rocket science and just might save you life someday.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Thanks for your reply, and while not a pro by any means I spent 500 jumps on the stiletto just got a Katana. I am not a rigger and have not really paid attention to the Cross Ports. Thats why I asked.
Thanks for making me feel dumber.

Try not to be so sensitive. Sparky means what he says, at the experience levels it should take to jump a Katana, you really ought to know a bit more about your gear, and I'll bet if he was in your neck of the woods, and you asked nice, or showed an interest, he'd be the first guy to help you out.:)
Cross ports allow airflow to pass between cells, to equalize the pressure within the canopy. They aid in inflation of the parachute. Without them, your parachute would be much more likely to inflate asymmetrically. They tend to fray because they are cut out within the weave of the fabric, and they are not "finished". A little fray is ok, even a little tear, but a larger tear (over 1 inch) may warrant attention.

Knowing more about your gear, will also help you use it better, and know what maintenance needs to be done, BEFORE, you have a problem.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

As others have said, they are called "crossports" and they help pressurize the canopy by allowing air to move laterally. And as others have said, more gear knowledge is a good thing. I'm going to diverge from some of the other posters here and say that your interest in the question is good and reflects a desire to understand your gear. It is to be commended. Heck, there are plenty of people with your experience who don't even know how to pack, and that level of ignorance is a real shame. That you are packing and looking and questioning is super-sweet!

Most of us start our skydiving career with tons of questions, and as they are answered we slip into a bit of complacency. Then, as we gain experience our curiosity is poked, and we ask questions again. That's all normal. I'm glad to hear you stumbled upon those crazy looking holes deep inside your parachute. Discovering the crossports may well be the catalyst that gets you thinking about all the other small things that make a parachute perform. Heck, that little discovery might start you on the road to becoming a Master Rigger.

For others who are reading this and wonder what the heck we are talking about, try checking out the inside of your parachute. When it's unpacked go ahead and climb inside the cells. You can do that. Honestly, as long as the parachute isn't super tiny you can open a cell and stick your head and arms all the way inside. Take a look around. Do it near a window or other light source and see the way the material shows construction technique or wear. Then lay it out flat as if it is flying and look at the entire top surface, then flip it over and check the entire bottom surface. See the way the lines are attached. It's pretty cool. This kinda stuff isn't just for experienced skydivers. If you are student sitting on the ground on a nasty weather day grab and instructor and check out the parachute together.

Now, once you have done all of that, it's reasonable to assume the lines may have become tangled. DO A COMPLETE LINE CONTINUITY CHECK. Seriously and for real, do a line check. If you need help, ask a rigger. I'll say it again, after messing around with the canopy do a line continuity check.

So there you have it. I tend to check the inside of my main parachutes at least once a year, usually when I'm doing my pre-season reserve repack, or if I have a super slammer of an opening or the parachute seems to be flying weird. And of course I always check the inside of my reserves on every repack.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Thanks Tom,

I apreciate it very much. I'm kind of like Tom Cruise in Day's for Thunder, I am pretty good at drivin them fast, just dont ask me how to change the oil.

"Days of Thunder" was a movie. The game we play is for real and much more dangerous.

Sparky

Thanks Tom,

I apreciate it very much. I'm kind of like Tom Cruise in Day's for Thunder, I am pretty good at drivin them fast, just dont ask me how to change the oil.

"Days of Thunder" was a movie. The game we play is for real and much more dangerous.

Sparky

:o

Yeah... and next you're gonna be telling us that Tom Cruise didn't really learn to fly an F-14 so he do the flying scenes in Top Gun!

:P

:P

... but seriously.

Over the years, I've heard more than one "experienced" skydiver ask "what are these holes inside my canopy", only to have "crossports" explained to them. :D Maybe its not mentioned in every FJC or folks forget, but I'm always surprised at the number of supposed "experienced" jumpers that don't know what crossports are. :S

The last time I ran across an "experienced" jumper that didn't know what crossports were was when my buddy Geoffray was packing his Sabre2-170 with about 200ish jumps on it and he had to get inside it to get some lumber out that he drug back from the landing area. His "discovery" of lots of holes inside his canopy scared him and he cried out for help across the packing area. I went to look and found another "experienced" jumper that didn't know what crossports were. :D Unfortunately, my good nature got the better of me and I quickly explained what they were... :):D:P:S:ph34r:.

:)

a little later I thought that I should have told old Mikey that his canopy was ruined and un-jumpable, but I'd give him $40 for it...

Thats what I would have done. But I would have no use for a Sabre-2 170.:)
Sparky