rustymurray

Harness too tight

Hi all,I've just bought a second hand rig,It's a two year old Icon the only problem being the harness is too tight at the shoulders,I can still jump it it's just a little uncomfortable.(It was a bargain and I needed a rig badly for a holiday)My question to all the riggers out there:how essy is it to modify if at all?The harness part that goes around the shoulders is long enough it's just the strap that joins the hip ring to the back of the container needs to be lenghtened,is it worth my while trying to get it sorted or should I just put up with it?

Hi all,I've just bought a second hand rig,It's a two year old Icon the only problem being the harness is too tight at the shoulders,I can still jump it it's just a little uncomfortable.(It was a bargain and I needed a rig badly for a holiday)My question to all the riggers out there:how essy is it to modify if at all?The harness part that goes around the shoulders is long enough it's just the strap that joins the hip ring to the back of the container needs to be lenghtened,is it worth my while trying to get it sorted or should I just put up with it?

Your best bet I would say is to take it to a qualified master rigger and ask them what you can have done to it.

Im sure they will be able to help you out.

Modifying/replacing any part of the main lift web is a major task. You might want to just sell the rig and buy one that does fit. The amount you will spend with the mod probably exceeds the amount you would pay selling buying something that does fit.

-Michael

Modifying/replacing the main lift web is a task of varied difficulty, depending on the type of rig, and type of articulation. Often it is more financially viable to have a MLW altered rather than purchase a new H/C. Average modification charges for a MLW seem to be about $150 to $200.

The OP is asking about a change to the Laterals, the difficulty of which again depends on the specific type of Rig. It often requires lifting the back pad, which can be complicated if it's padded, and if the laterals have any sort of cover or stiffner that will add difficulty as well. "Average prices are similar for this kind of work.

I'd advise the OP to contact the manufacturer, or an experienced master rigger with the facilities to do harness work and see what they say.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Your best bet I would say is to take it to a qualified master rigger and ask them what you can have done to it.

Im sure they will be able to help you out.

So basically, your answer to his question is to ask someone else?

Just posting for the sake of posting? And to top it all off, you made me post off topic because I had to point out you made a non-informational post. :S

Modifying/replacing any part of the main lift web is a major task. You might want to just sell the rig and buy one that does fit. The amount you will spend with the mod probably exceeds the amount you would pay selling buying something that does fit.

-Michael

Ok, first off replacing the laterals is generally easier and less time consuming than tearing in to a MLW. Most of the work is done with e thread and regular industrial machines, on most rigs some 7 class work will be needed. Reinstalling a MLW requires seperating the back pad from the MLW in several hard to get to places additionally many times housings have to be removed and reinstalled. The pain in the ass factor for complete MLW reinstall is quite high.

As far as being more expensive than buying a new rig, there is nothing further from the truth than that statement. You may wan't to consider a little more fact checking before dispensing rigging advice and possibly a rating wouldn't hurt either.:|

Mick.

-Michael

I had a complete harness replacement on a 1997 Javelin for $250 + shipping. That included new cutaway and reserve handles due to updates in the harness configuration.

As for the OP, all that shit should have been dealt with before buying the rig. It was not such a good bargain if the damn thing does not fit your needs.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

-Michael

I had a complete harness replacement on a 1997 Javelin for $250 + shipping. That included new cutaway and reserve handles due to updates in the harness configuration.

As for the OP, all that shit should have been dealt with before buying the rig. It was not such a good bargain if the damn thing does not fit your needs.

Sparky

My, feeling grumpy today are we :)

Mick

-Michael

Ok, first off replacing the laterals is generally easier and less time consuming than tearing in to a MLW. Most of the work is done with e thread and regular industrial machines, on most rigs some 7 class work will be needed. Reinstalling a MLW requires seperating the back pad from the MLW in several hard to get to places additionally many times housings have to be removed and reinstalled. The pain in the ass factor for complete MLW reinstall is quite high.

As far as being more expensive than buying a new rig, there is nothing further from the truth than that statement. You may wan't to consider a little more fact checking before dispensing rigging advice and possibly a rating wouldn't hurt either.:|

Fact checking?

Are you arguing that this is a minor task/repair?
In my country it would be classed as major repair work must be done by a Rigger B. This doesn't seem like a Senior rigger task

I never said buy a brand new rig. My advice was to sell it and buy another rig that fits properly and I believe the difference between those two prices will still be very small. I frequently talk to people who resell a rig and purchase something similar (for a downsize) and break even. Since it's a backup rig and he probably has some luxury of time I stand by my advice.

Before you criticize my rigging advice please make sure the advice is wrong and not your reading comprehension. For the record I'm grumpy too.

-Michael

Fact checking?

In the US it can be done by the manufacture where a rigger ticket is not needed. In most cases it will be done quicker and with less cost.

And just to keep facts straight, riggermick at one time was a “manufacture” of harness/container systems. He got his “Master” riggers ticket while you were still in grade school. I would think this gives his the latitude to question your rigging knowledge and advice.

Sparky

So what most of ye are saying is just live with it,like I said in the beginning it's not too bad just a little tight when hanging round waiting to get on the plane,it's ok in the air,if I thought I could fix it for €150 or thereabout I would.Unfortunatly I didn't have the time or the cash to get a custom made harness and being over 6 foot it's hard to get second hand gear that fits perfect so I have to make do,thanks for the advice.

I didn't see anyone recommend just living with it. Call Aerodyne and see what it would cost to get the laterals lengthened. When I got my first rig (a Reflex), it got send back to fliteline to get a smaller harness. I don't know what the final bill was.... the seller paid for it. But it wasn't TOO expensive. Only problem I had was that fliteline went out of business while they had my rig... took a bit longer than expected. :)
Dave

And just to keep facts straight, riggermick at one time was a “manufacture” of harness/container systems. He got his “Master” riggers ticket while you were still in grade school. I would think this gives his the latitude to question your rigging knowledge and advice.

I respect the fact that Mick has been in this game much longer than me. To suggest that I need to do fact checking and get a rating without checking his own facts offends me. I don't mind being criticised but if you do make sure you have something valid to complain about.

I try my hardest to answer every question correctly and many times this leads me to open a book and do actual research to ensure advice I dispense is technical and correct.

To assume

I respect the fact that Mick has been in this game much longer than me. To suggest that I need to do fact checking and get a rating without checking his own facts offends me. I don't mind being criticised but if you do make sure you have something valid to complain about.

I try my hardest to answer every question correctly and many times this leads me to open a book and do actual research to ensure advice I dispense is technical and correct.

To assume

Michael, just realize that some knowledge can only be acquired hands-on. Books can teach you theory and application in a controlled environment. I salute you on motivation/desire/ability to learn. But don't be that eager to dispense book quotes as personal advise.

My tendency to recommend selling a hastily bought rig and buy a similar one that fits correctly is based on the fact that skydiving gear holds its value very well. One can respectfully disagree on my opinion and state their reasons. This is after all this post is about.

Dispensing book quotes as personal advice is something entirely different and you'd be hard pressed to find examples of that. Sure I have opinions but I'm able to back them up.

-Michael

To assume

wow, I didn't realize you were so sensative and easily 'offended'. My most humble apologies to you. Also you are quite right about the rating thing, I should have checked your profile. One does not generally see such inexperience coupled with a rating, so I made an assumption that was incorrect. once again my apologies. I do have to state however that you are indeed giving advice on equipment with regards to replacement over repair, which by your statement to the origional reply shows. It also shows a marked lack of understanding as to the cost and complexity of harness adjustment over entire rig replacement. For the record English is my first language and I do seem have a somewhat reasonable grasp of it. Once again my apologies to you.

Mick.

To suggest that I need to do fact checking and get a rating without checking his own facts offends me. I don't mind being criticised but if you do make sure you have something valid to complain about.

I am sorry to have offended you. But the fact remains you do not have the knowledge or the experience to challenge someone of Mick’s background. Like me you hold a Senior Riggers Cert. That is just a lic. to start learning. After you have practiced your craft for 5 or 10 years and been exposed to some of the many rigging problems out there you will have a reason to be offended. Jmo

Sparky

To suggest that I need to do fact checking and get a rating without checking his own facts offends me. I don't mind being criticised but if you do make sure you have something valid to complain about.

I am sorry to have offended you. But the fact remains you do not have the knowledge or the experience to challenge someone of Mick’s background. Like me you hold a Senior Riggers Cert. That is just a lic. to start learning. After you have practiced your craft for 5 or 10 years and been exposed to some of the many rigging problems out there you will have a reason to be offended. Jmo

Sparky
[email]

also, as you age your skin gets thicker and it takes a whole lot more to offend you. Your epidermis sould be about a foot thick shouldn't it?:|:)

Mick.

ALL of the mods i've had done to my containers in the past have been done by the Manufacturer / OEM. It would costs approx $400.00 foa a new harness, depending on your goofies you put on it, ie: hip/chest rings, hard housings, RSL, SkyHook. I know the rig i'm building now will employ the SkyHook System, but will be a Javelin Container.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

A simple harness re-size may only cost $100.
However, if it has hip rings, replacing the main lift webs may cost as much as $250.
The best person to answer your question is your friendly neighborhood master rigger.

Your second choice would be to get measured for a new ICON harness and submit that order form to Aerodyne along with a letter explaining your dilemma. The factory will quote you on the cost of re-sizing your existing harness.

hey there. i bought a used rig a couple of years ago, and just replaced the harness last month. it was significantly less expensive and less of a pain in the arse then dealing with buying/selling. i highly recommend checking with the manufacturer(or your local master rigger).... i feel like i have a new rig that was made for me! if the container suffices, why waste time and $$ on a new one when you can have a new harness? that is the part of the system that is made for each specific body type, not the container...