Lawdog1

"Entry Level" elliptical?

Ok to prevent the anticipated flames . . I am not looking to change gear. This just a question for the sake of my curiosity for those that may have personal knowledge.

Is there such a thing as an entry level elliptical? Obviously not x-braced, or as ground hungry as a Katana seems to be. But a canopy that will ease someone into the world of high performance elliptical 9 cells? A Nitron? A Saffire? ( described as lightly elliptical but so is my spectre) A Vision?

Yes I know wing loading is a huge, maybe the biggest, factor so don't go there.

Just looking for info about designs in general

me too,

im asking his question except more enthusiastic..(and you can flame me all you want)

What is wrong with the canopies you guys are currently jumping? Why not stick with them for a few hundred more jumps and learn to fully fly them before moving to something else? Seems like everyone is in a race these days to downsize and jump the latest radical canopies and end up either dead or injured.

me too,

im asking his question except more enthusiastic..(and you can flame me all you want)

What is wrong with the canopies you guys are currently jumping? Why not stick with them for a few hundred more jumps and learn to fully fly them before moving to something else? Seems like everyone is in a race these days to downsize and jump the latest radical canopies and end up either dead or injured.

Its post like these that i never refer new jumpers to dz.com.

Ok to prevent the anticipated flames . . I am not looking to change gear. This just a question for the sake of my curiosity for those that may have personal knowledge.

Is there such a thing as an entry level elliptical? Obviously not x-braced, or as ground hungry as a Katana seems to be. But a canopy that will ease someone into the world of high performance elliptical 9 cells? A Nitron? A Saffire? ( described as lightly elliptical but so is my spectre) A Vision?

Has anybody of those that are making the you shouldn't be flying that comments considered that he really might just be wondering?!?:S

I'm not instructor mind you but here is my experience. I have a sabre2 -170 which is semi-elliptical. A few weeks back I let our camera guy take my rig as his wasn't packed. I took his Sabre 150 up next load. Really didn't like the way it flew. Toggle pressure and response was much slower. Despite being 20sq ' smaller it didn't seem to fly that much quicker. The sabre1 is not tapered.

So maybe try a few on a semi-elliptical if you haven't already.

-Michael

me too,

Wow. Welcome to Dropzone.com

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

not sure if it is true but JumpShack say their Firebolt can be a novice level canopy and it is ellipical. This when loaded under 0.85:1. I have been interested to find out so have a demo 182 on its way for low time jumpers to try out. Also, I have seen many people struggle to pack a brand new Sabres - in fact I was one many years ago. The firebolt is hybrid so should make it easier for newer jumpers. I will let you know.

Rob

Good question ;)
IMO
1. have a real reason to get a fully elliptical canopy (trying to look cool is not the one)
2. have 400-500 jumps total (and 150-200 within last year)
3. check manufacturers recommendation for WL
4. talk to your local canopy pilots whom you trust.

I think the spirit of the original question is what the hierarchy of canopies tends to be.

Just throwing it out there, does the following seem about right?

7 cell:
1) Older Models (accuracy canopies)
2) Spectre Class
3) ?

9 cell:
1) Student (Manta/Navigator)
2) Sabre Class (Pilot, Safire1/2, Sabre1/2)
3) Stilleto / Katana / XFire1/2 / Mamba
4) X-Braced

Again, just guessing, but I think the question is, especially in the step of 2 to 3 of the 9 cell category, is there anything in between or is it baptism by fire?

This is all assuming starting at one level's min recommended jump#, WL and moving within the same class to the top end of the WL spectrum along with being able to fly the canopy to the limit requiring a new class. That question as was suggested is probably the first to ask.
-Patrick

7 cell:
1) Older Models (accuracy canopies)
2) Spectre Class
3) ?

9 cell:
1) Student (Manta/Navigator)
2) Sabre Class (Pilot, Safire1/2, Sabre1/2)
3) Stilleto / Katana / XFire1/2 / Mamba
4) X-Braced

This makes no sense. There are almost universal airfoils you can you from student to ballistic WL e.g. Cobalt, Firebolt.

I don't think we need these categories.
I like Icarus' WL explanation much.
There are other approaches in others countries, they have a list what canopies can someone use under 250 jumps and
The question is still out there, what he wants from his next canopy.

OK, not to flame you, but maybe "warm you up" a bit...I glanced at your profile, and...

what's with the 126 sq ft reserve with a 1.31 WL at 100 jumps? I sure hope you don't have to make a no-hands, no-flare landing, or set it down in a postage-stamp sized out - each of which is very possible with a reserve landing...

...just friendly food for thought....
(P.S. - my reserve is larger than my main - there's a reason for that...)

Is there such a thing as an entry level elliptical?

Honestly, I don't know. However, by the time many jumpers start looking seriously at ultra-high-performance canopies, they have a good idea what they want to be able to do with it.

The circles of people in specific disciplines of the sport vary. Many folks will talk with each other to get some ideas, and demo canopies from the manufacturer.

Some, will not do that, and play the odds. You may have seen the type, 300 jump-sky-god "ready" to fly a napkin sized Velocity. :o Candidates for Darwinism.

Then, there are many in-between. The first elliptical I ever jumped was a Stiletto. I didn't fly any super crazy patterns with it, but really enjoyed the openings, and flare power etc.

The product line has expanded greatly the past six or seven years. The sport has evolved too. One high-performance canopy pilot I know and think knows his stuff pretty well migrated from a Sabre to Stiletto to Velocity.

Everyone's results will vary. Another experienced canopy pilot I know plans on getting a Katana (up from a Safire2).

So, the argument could be said, no - there isn't an "entry" level elliptical. On the other side, some could say yes - the products like the Safire2, Sabre2 and Pilot being semi-elliptical are a step toward that design, and they handle being flown aggressively about as well as conservatively...

Doesn't really answer your question...All shapes and sizes.B|
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

You DO realise that it is posts like these that lead to the "I'm not an instructor/have low jump#s but" type of reply, don't you? :P

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

>Is there such a thing as an entry level elliptical?

Most canopies nowadays are elliptical/tapered to some degree. Some good mid-experience mildly elliptical canopies include:

Silhouette (I have two and like them)
Pilot (have had 3 over the years)
Safire2
Spectre (7 cell, pretty docile at larger sizes)

Vision or Nitron would be a step above them.