SkydiveStMarys

What book is on your night stand?

I think so too. Though, if your not someone that is familiar with or someone that has no idea what drug/alcohol addicition is all about it might not be such a page turner. It would give you insight though into that world if you needed it. It is a great personal account coming from and out of the depths of such a horrid disease.

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

I think she said it was on Oprah's list or something? The only book I've read that she recommended ended up being one of my favorite books--another Barbara Kingsolver book, "Poisonwood Bible."

I'm also on my 5th or 6th Goosebumps series...lol. That's what my child likes read to him at bedtime...heh.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I've been working on The Know-It All by AJ Jacobs for forever. Fortunately it's one of those that lends itself to picking up and putting down without losing much.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

ghost rider by niel peart.(the drummer of the band rush).teenage daughter got killed in a auto accident on the way to college and a year and 10 days later his wife died of cancer.he took a bmw motorcycle on the road for 15 months and put 15 k on it on what he called the healing road.pretty heavy stuff.and i have a iris johansen book i'm reading too.

Spinter Cell by Tom clancy

These I havn't read yet.
Polar Shift by Clive Cussler
Pandora Star by Peter F. Hamilton
CUSP by Robert A. Metzger
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

ghost rider by niel peart.(the drummer of the band rush).teenage daughter got killed in a auto accident on the way to college and a year and 10 days later his wife died of cancer.he took a bmw motorcycle on the road for 15 months and put 15 k on it on what he called the healing road.pretty heavy stuff.and i have a iris johansen book i'm reading too.

I meet him in 95 and, at the moment, I cannot think of a bigger jerk.:|:|:|

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

"Blind Man's Bluff", a story of cold war submarine ops.Amzing things that went on in the shadowy world of submarine espionage. I highly recommend it.

Also Carl Sagan's "The Demon-Haunted World, Science as a Candle in the Dark." This book and Jared Diamond's "Collapse" should be required reading in High School. Check them out.B|

The Demon-Haunted world is a great book, I agree every high school person should read it......I have read all of CS books.:)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

At any given time, there are at least several books on my night stand. I tend to read books over and over too. I try to rotate new ones into the mix.

Currently:

Broca's Brain (Carl Sagan)

Contact (Carl Sagan)

You Shall Know Our Velocity (Dave Eggers)

Irish Fairy & Folk Tales (Yeats)

Babylon Revisited and other stories (Fitzgerald)

None of those are new to me...maybe I should make a trip to the bookstore. :)

My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk

A Slice of Life edited by Bonnie Marranca; a collection of essays about food and/or eating my academics, artists, chefs, and writers

Chinese Films in Focus: 25 New Takes by Chris Berry
news essays about films that have been done to death....great, great, great stuff

Oh, and Skydiving Magazine. It's horrible because I read it cover to cover in a few hours and then I have to wait 30 days or so till the next issue shows up.

There are 5 or 6 pregnancy and baby books on our night stands... :S wife is 15 weeks preggers so... :)

Congratu-freakin-lations! Is this your first? We've got 4 beautiful rugrats ourselves. You're gonna love it.:)

Yup, first and most likely ONLY one... :S wife is going nuts with all the emotions and hormones and shit, but we'll enjoy the baby after its born... :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I don't really have a nightstand, but my desk is right next to my bed, so I guess that counts... It has a lot of books on it, but the only thing I am currently reading is an article on bioethics that I printed from the Kennedy Institute of Ethics Journal.