ChrisL

Good god. The gear industry has gone insane!

I am aware of that little problem...
However, you can always marry a Russian babe and get dual citizenship so you can jump their gear. :D

Their attitude is weird though. My dealer does some business with them. And it appears to me that the Russia is a BIG market on it`s own, so they don`t have to sell their gear outside and get it TSO-d.
Russian collegues, correct me if i`m wrong.

dudeist skydiver #42

The Australian, Canadian , New Zealand, South African and most of the European Union merely photo-copied American Technical Standard Orders for parachutes.
However, the Europeans are now disagreeing with FAA TSO standards, so it is unclear whether European-made gear can be jumped from American-registered airplanes by American-registered citizens.

Would a European rigger please explain the latest developments with European regulations?

The Australian, Canadian , New Zealand, South African and most of the European Union merely photo-copied American Technical Standard Orders for parachutes.
However, the Europeans are now disagreeing with FAA TSO standards, so it is unclear whether European-made gear can be jumped from American-registered airplanes by American-registered citizens.

Would a European rigger please explain the latest developments with European regulations?

EASA send us back to our NAA and the agency is not involved anymore with sport parachutes. The agency just kept emmergency parachutes under its scope. So, in France as exemple we used the QAC 121 which is based under the AS8015/B. The only difference is where we have to send the paperwork for approval. It must be the same for German and England which are the other EEC manufacturer countries, I do not know about Spain. The only problem is now to get TSO approval because several countries doesn't have any agreement with the FAA. France has it, but not easy to handle.

Manufacturing still under Part 21/G with the EASA and under the control of our NAA. This is a bit crazy..
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468

While that might get you an excellent Russian wife, it still doesn't let you jump non-TSOed gear.

Why? When I come to the USA, i can claim that I`m Russian and jump whatever gear I want. Who can deny me my right as foreign citizen to do that?

OTOH here in Serbia the problems are other way around... Local lawmakers are "re-inventing hot water" and making local regulations more strict even than the ones in USA. Like 10 night jumps for any instructor rating (even static line), enforcing tandem passenger weight /age limits more strict than the ones given by manufacturer...

Maybe I`ll go to the States, get my ratings and pretend to be an American when jumping here. It would be a lot easier.
:)
dudeist skydiver #42

I figure then, but maybe i`m wrong, that almost all USA DZ-s have such a waiver (considering that in your country you can sue anybody for about anything, no offence). We have them waivers here too. Photocopied yours.

So i guess there is no problem then for Russian/USA citizen to come make some jumps at USA DZ with his beautiful wife Ivana wearing their Paraavis gear? If they sign a waiver.
dudeist skydiver #42

If you look at the FAR's as soon as you get your US citizenship you basically can not jump non-TSO'd gear anymore. This means that nice new reserve you might have been fine to jump as a Russian citizen is not legal anymore once you get your US Citizenship paperwork approved. Most DZ's will not know if you get citizenship so its more of them not knowing more then anything else. Now if you were staff or something like that and they tracked your citizenship for taxes then they might know and then not allow you to jump the gear to stay within the FAR's.

All DZ's have a liability waiver but you would need to talk to the FAA to get a waiver to jump the rig as a US citizen.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

If you look at the FAR's as soon as you get your US citizenship you basically can not jump non-TSO'd gear anymore. This means that nice new reserve you might have been fine to jump as a Russian citizen is not legal anymore once you get your US Citizenship paperwork approved. Most DZ's will not know if you get citizenship so its more of them not knowing more then anything else. Now if you were staff or something like that and they tracked your citizenship for taxes then they might know and then not allow you to jump the gear to stay within the FAR's.

All DZ's have a liability waiver but you would need to talk to the FAA to get a waiver to jump the rig as a US citizen.

Do the FARs not have requirements for either citizens or residents?

Hey Phree, i supposed this is the case. I have dual citizenships and had problems with different issues. The Army service.
Basically one country says that it does not care if you are citizen of another country and you served. The second you became their citizen, their laws apply to you and they see you ONLY as their citizen. Resident or not.

It seems that this is the case for skydiving equipment too...
dudeist skydiver #42

Before my tandem jump I wanted a new truck (mine has 190,000 miles on it) a new TV, upgrade my PC, etc.... but my biggest concern now is my RW suit...

Welcome to the club. I delayed my PC upgrade by 2 years to help pay for skydiving. I replaced a 2002 PC in 2008 instead of 2006.

I sold my entire Star Trek DVD collection (STTNG and STOS) for almost a grand, before DVD prices depreciated significantly, so that paid for almost a third of my used rig too.

It's a good 'ol Vector2 though - but does what it's designed to do and has been extremely reliable.

You`re right. Like I wrote in my previous post.
If you`re "dual", the government does not care for your other county regulations. Obey ours!

(but i could jump if i just keep mu mouth shut... no comprende senor.);)

dudeist skydiver #42

Hey Phree, i supposed this is the case. I have dual citizenships and had problems with different issues. The Army service.
Basically one country says that it does not care if you are citizen of another country and you served. The second you became their citizen, their laws apply to you and they see you ONLY as their citizen. Resident or not.

It seems that this is the case for skydiving equipment too...

Mandatory military service was eliminated in most of NATO (most of Western Europe, Canada and the USA) a long time ago.
Amusing tale, a French freind said that his manadatory military service consisted of one day listening to the sales pitch about how great a career he could enjoy in the French Army. He said "thank you very much" and returned to his civilian job.
Tee!
Hee!

(alhough we hijacked this thread a loooang time ago...)
Here, you have two choices: 6 months service with gun in your hand, or 9 months without gun and doing stupid things like cleaning poo after old people in some retirement home.
My dad was an army guy so i know the drill and I have no problem with guns, but if i go to army who will pay my bills and keep me my job. Aaaaaa, nobody?
Same story like the guy from your post...
dudeist skydiver #42