Chrissay

What's the BEST MP3 player?

I have a rio carbon too, i've only had it for a couple of weeks, but it seems pretty good... it cost me £100, 5gb, 20hrs battery life, easy to use, pretty small, drag and drop, plays MP3 and WMA...

Does it support podcasting? To me that is way more important than supporting WMA. Out of all my audio files (too many Gig) I have exactly one WMA file. I have far more acc files, but mostly MP3s.

But podcasts kick ass.

I never said that it was iPod specific. However, in my experience, it's easier to do all that with an iPod than with some of the other players out there. My brother is constantly struggling with his sony player, always reading the manual, and usually cursing at it. I've never even opened the instructions for my iPod. I've never needed them. It's so incredibly intuitive, and ease of use means a lot to me. I don't want to fight with a device to get it to do what I want. The iPod just works. Consistently.

My dad LOVES his iPod, and my dad is computer stupid. He uses computers like oversize typewriters and generally can't do a damn thing with them. I'm constantly getting phone calls from him about how to make his Dell do what he wants. I haven't gotten a single phone call about the iPod. Not one. He's downloading and uploading music and making playlists and everything all by himself, which is wonderful from my perspective, because he never does anything except the most basic computer stuff without help.

I have a rio carbon too, i've only had it for a couple of weeks, but it seems pretty good... it cost me £100, 5gb, 20hrs battery life, easy to use, pretty small, drag and drop, plays MP3 and WMA...

Does it support podcasting? To me that is way more important than supporting WMA. Out of all my audio files (too many Gig) I have exactly one WMA file. I have far more acc files, but mostly MP3s.

But podcasts kick ass.

Apparently so, but i haven't tried yet :$

But podcasts kick ass.

I love how everyone acts like a podcast is something new. Its a frickin recorded sound file. Its been around for years. Winamp has had streaming personal audio channels (shoutcast) for quite some time. :ph34r:

You kids and your old fangled technology. :ph34r::D:P
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

I love how everyone acts like a podcast is something new. Its a frickin recorded sound file. Its been around for years. Winamp has had streaming personal audio channels (shoutcast) for quite some time.

You kids and your old fangled technology.

Yeah, well, you know...I thought MP3 players were relatively new too...:o

With all the stuff mentioned about Ipods vs Mp3 players. The main thing to consider is functionality vs $. When you buy an Ipod you get lots of storage etc and no tuner unless you want to shell out more $ for one. My mp3 player Iriver has one included but im limited to 1GB of space. So it really all boils down to want you want in a player. Me personally 1GB is plenty for me and sometimes I want to listen to 105.9 The Rock. :)

I was on the site a few weeks ago where a guy ran a stress test on the Nano. The thing was taken through the rigors, everything from dropping from a chair at an elevation of three feet to getting driven over by a car! IT STILL WORKED!!! To completely break it they had to drop it from a 4 story bulding. That's why I think this whole thing about people getting upset by the screen getting scratched is just a smear campaign.

I've dropped my ipod from about 6 feet twice onto a concrete floor by accident, and I was like holy shit thats money down the drain now, only to pick it up and find it was completely undamaged and worked fine. So yea they are definitely durable, if you only have 500 songs it's probably not worth it though... unless you plan on building that collection extensively in the near future. But I don't have any problems with itunes, I have about 4000 songs atm and its all good. I don't really understand what all the fuss is about!
You'r probably best with a cheaper 1gb player though with your collection.

Here's what I like about the Ipod, Itunes. The reason I switched to Ipods a year ago was because I had started purchasing tracks off the new and improved Napster only to find out that they were WMA files and they wouldn't work on my Iriver mp3 player. I went online to see if there was a way I could hack the license and I got nothing. From what I read, they wanted me to buy a Napster player.

So the next day I downloaded Itunes and the love affair was born. I love the fact that the day that U2's last album came out I rolled over to the other side of my bed, booted up my laptop and downloaded the entire album before I had even went to the bathroom! Now I know that folks like GTA are going to say that there are other packages out there that make Itunes look like crap but I've never had a problem with Itunes so I continue to use it. And yes, I love the podcasting stuff too. So far I have a mini for working out and a 40gb hog for when I go on long business trips. Is it perfect? No. I have a laptop and a desktop and I wish I could transfer songs from one to the other. And I also wish there was a better way to backup songs. I bought a 140gb external hard drive to put all my songs and ahem...pr@n on and it crapped out. I lost all my Chasey Lain videos.....my life is ruined.

Here's what I like about the Ipod, Itunes. The reason I switched to Ipods a year ago was because I had started purchasing tracks off the new and improved Napster only to find out that they were WMA files and they wouldn't work on my Iriver mp3 player. I went online to see if there was a way I could hack the license and I got nothing. From what I read, they wanted me to buy a Napster player.

So the next day I downloaded Itunes and the love affair was born. I love the fact that the day that U2's last album came out I rolled over to the other side of my bed, booted up my laptop and downloaded the entire album before I had even went to the bathroom! Now I know that folks like GTA are going to say that there are other packages out there that make Itunes look like crap but I've never had a problem with Itunes so I continue to use it. And yes, I love the podcasting stuff too. So far I have a mini for working out and a 40gb hog for when I go on long business trips. Is it perfect? No. I have a laptop and a desktop and I wish I could transfer songs from one to the other. And I also wish there was a better way to backup songs. I bought a 140gb external hard drive to put all my songs and ahem...pr@n on and it crapped out. I lost all my Chasey Lain videos.....my life is ruined.

Dude, I never said I didn't like iTunes. Take that up with Thantanos.

In fact, I think iTunes is a great piece of software. Personally I used MediaMonkey for my library management, but that is mostly cause I found it first. It is a pretty great piece of software itself anyway. I just don't think iPod is the end all, be all of mp3 players.

And podcasting? NOT an iPod thing. Hell, not even iPod specific. Its a recorded sound file. that is it. The only thing the iPod made was the name.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

You do realize that this exactly one of the reasons I hate the iPod??
You say you couldn`t play your legally purchased WMA files.. so your solution was to buy an iPod?? Not much of a solution considering the iPod definitely will not play those songs either.

You do realize that those songs in WMA format will play on almost every other Player on the Market other than the iPod??

As for iTunes
Lots of people like it. Thas great for them.

My issue is that I dont like it. I dont think that it is necessary (and it is not for other MP3 Players). It does have allot of bells and whistles and you can do neat things with it if you have time to sit and play with it. I dont.
All I want to do is copy a few files from my hard drive to my MP3 Player and maybe delete a few files off the MP3 player. That’s it. Nothing more. Being forced into using a huge application like iTunes for that is ridiculous. I dont give a shit about a "Library" that must be maintained or creating "Playlists".

Apple is forcing people into a false dependence on their software (and Music Store). Other MP3 players work just fine with iTunes as well but do not try to force you in to using it. (Yes, I know you can use other Applications like MediaMonkey and others instead but if you dont want to deal with ANY of these for your simple tasks, you are screwed with an iPod).

Now back to original point...
iTunes (for those who like it) works just fine with other MP3 players, However other MP3 players do not REQUIRE a program like iTUnes for simple everyday tasks.
iPods are designed to have a short life (Non-replaceable Battery).
Ipods dont play other common files types such as WMA.
podcasts are NOT limited to iPod and will play on ANY MP3 player. Granted that iTunes is a great way to manage podcast subscriptions but that has nothing to do with the iPod.. iTunes works just as well with other MP3 players.

These are all negatives and reasons why other MP3 players are better.
Still no one has given a single reason why iPods are better. "I love my iPod/iTunes" is not a valid reason. Why is your iPod better than less expensive models?? What does it do that the others dont??I can name MANY things that the others do that the iPod doesnt.

I personally think iPods and MP3 players in general are on the way out as MP3 players will be just another function of your Cell phone in a year or two. Why carry a Cell phone, MP3 Player and Digital camera when you can have all in one.

Of course apple is already ahead of the Curve on this too by partnering with Cingular on their MP3 phone and AGAIN forcing you to use iTunes.

(I love being able to argue without having to go into Speakers Corner;))

Apple isn't forcing people to do anything.

OK.. How about restricting your options. Is that better??

Want Music on your Cingular phone?? Gotta use iTunes.

OH.. BTW.. Still not a single reason the iPod is better.

Line up kiddies... Rev Jobs has more Kool-aid on the way. Keep on drinkin. ;)

OK.. How about restricting your options. Is that better??

Want Music on your Cingular phone?? Gotta use iTunes.

And if I want music on my Verizon phone? iTunes won't work with my Verizon phoneB| Wait, I am mistaken, no music is available for Verizon phones (yet, that I am aware of).

And if I want a Big Mac, why can't I go to Burger King?

So you're gonna shit on Apple for making a brilliant business move? There are other phones out there that can play MP3s. Cingular and Apple made a business decision, I don't know how you can criticize them for it.

Incidentally, I hear that the interface for that phone sucks.

Zen Micro 6GB or new 8GB Color Photo version of Zen Micro.

I rip all my CDs in lossless WMA for home listening, then downconvert to 320kbps for the Zen. Windows Media Player works seamlessly with the Zen. I don't download 128kbps files since they sound bad to me.

Really push your player experience by getting a pair of Shure E3C earphones. They sound awesome.

My whole point is WHY DO I HAVE TO HAVE ANY SOFTWARE??

Other Players.. Plug it in.. Move files.

Just catching up on an old thread but your comments puzzle me? Do you not realize that when you are using explorer you are in fact using software?

iPod - Plug it in.. wait for iTunes (Or other application) to load, Update Library and Play lists, Transfer files.

Does it really take that much less time open the files in your preferred software vs. the itunes? How old is you PC?
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.