davidlayne

Airborne PT Test

When I went through jump school, 15 years ago or so the requirements were the same as basic training. They weren't interested in whether or not you could max out the requirements just that you were able to do the minimum standards. However, they were very strict in form and alot of people did a lot of pushups that didn't count.

1 mile? I'm scratching my head here trying to remember if we did anything less than two miles the whole time I was in? Are they lowering the standards again?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

If they still do it like they did in 1996 when I went............it's not really about the run TIME. You should NEVER run faster than 15:54. The problem is.........the 200+ yd uphill sprint.........followed by jogging in place so you don't cross the line before the 15:54 time;) Sometimes I was literally running as fast as I could just to keep up with the "slinky" effect of the formation. :S

1 mile? I'm scratching my head here trying to remember if we did anything less than two miles the whole time I was in? Are they lowering the standards again?

I don't know. It's over 30 years since I was in Airborne. The reason I asked is that my wife is running and I told her that her times would be good enough to qualify her for Airborne school. It made her feel good and got me some brownie points!
I don't care how many skydives you've got,
until you stepped into complete darkness at
800' wearing 95 lbs of equipment and 42 lbs
of parachute, son you are still a leg!

If they still do it like they did in 1996 when I went............it's not really about the run TIME. You should NEVER run faster than 15:54. The problem is.........the 200+ yd uphill sprint.........followed by jogging in place so you don't cross the line before the 15:54 time;) Sometimes I was literally running as fast as I could just to keep up with the "slinky" effect of the formation. :S

I can easily meet the "female" standard, and I'm over 60. With a bit of practice I'm sure I could meet 15:54.

Why do girls get off lightly?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

In 1992, I actually had to go running at nights to stay in the shape I was in after AIT. I went from running my best 2 mile of 11:10 to being able to walk the formation runs. I also remember having to do one whole pull up to get into chow. One! And there were people who couldn't do that!:S

I do recall some pretty good sessions in the pit though. But overall, I thought the PT standards were kind of a joke in Airborne School.

Now R.I.P. was another story entirely!

F*#k it man. Just make sure your in Damn good shape can run like a Bat out of Hell. Be able to put up with a bunch of things rolling in dirt, being dragged etc. 20 yrs ago for me and it wasnt too Bad considering I came from a LRRP unit based in Germany and we Run our Asses off all the time no shit. Set goals for yourself. 1. Try and run 2 miles in less than 12min flat. 60-100 Correct pushups. 60-100 Correct setups. Then get your mind right and smoke Airborne school ok.
>:(:|:)

As I recall, the PT test scores are a minimum 180 score (60% or more per segment, PU, SU, Run, based on age) and a four mile run in 36 minutes or less.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

However, they were very strict in form and alot of people did a lot of pushups that didn't count.

this is key.. particularly for taller people or anyone that does a variant (but still regulation) push up and may get the shaft by DIs who misapply 'the standard'.

Best bet is to do 'perfect' push ups to the minimum then crank out the rest however is most efficient for you..

when i went we trained by working on consistent 28 min 4 mile times.

60 points?
Based on age?
When did they lower that standards this time?

Just six months ago it was 70 points per catergory and all in the 17 to 21 year old catergory at that (but the 22 to 26 year old group is tougher).

The Ft. Bening Home page link will give the most upto date info.

Airborne School is a different animal. Airborne is a different animal too.

You probably know far more as a skydiver than the average Paratrooper when it come to the dynamics of parachuting.

The training is not really to tough physically, morning PT isn't to turn you in to a PT stud (or stud-et) but just to keep you from getting fat and lazy.

What will get you is the "slinky effect" during the runs and the various PLF training apperati.

I taught there for 4 years and put many a skydiver through.

I will tell you the same thing I told them;

1. It is only 3 weeks long, go back to skydiving after graduation do not risk an injury from the weekend jumps that do not let make your school jumps and you fail to graduate.

2. After you make your 1st qual jump than you can experement and sit fly jumps 2 to 5, but do not try and present you belly! (if you do you will only do it once!;))

3. No matter what your Skydiving Instructor or master rigger said, the guy yelling at you in the BLACK HAT is right (at leas tfor that moment).

4. Keep your feet and knees together, hit, shift, rotate, kick it up and over, activate, recover and move out! ( during the first week "and move out" will be replaced with READYYYYY SLIP! [ you will learn to hate it:P])

Remember the contaxt of this training also.
It is geared toward an Airborne Brigade being delivered to a target DZ (typically an airport) and that is 3500+ Paratroopers being dumped out mass exit at 500' AGl in the dark of night, with out lights.

Have you ever done CRW with a round? I have its kind of fun, unless your the one that did the last leap frog rotation.

You'll do fine! Have fun and say hey to MSG Warner for Me (he is the Master, Master Trainer for the BN, the one that puts the Black Hats in the front leanen' rest!)
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

60 points?
Based on age?
When did they lower that standards this time?

How the heck should I know? I haven't been yet. :S:P The army has been successful at preventing me from jumping. Unless they put a school in Iraq, I'll be out another year. [:/]

If I re-up, I'll re-class and force a reassignment to Bragg. I'll be old, old, old then too. ;)
Make light!

Why re-class?
Far more 11B1/2/3/4 "Papa" positions in the 82nd than not ;).

Indeed. We'll see how my body holds up. I've not been doing this for years like everyone else it seems. Now, if only I can get my rank to catch up with my age... :S:ph34r::)
Make light!

The real deal is you have to be able to run at least a 7 minutes mile to hang in the runs at Airborne School. Technically, all of the runs are a 9-minute/mile standard; however, they mess with you by picking up the pace and then slowing down to the 'ol Airborne Shuffle so they can maintain the light time standard.

You wouldn't have to sustain that 7 or sub 7 min/mile pace - you'd just have to keep it for about 3/4 of the mile. The longest run I ever had to do there was 5 miles and that was because it was a PayDay run.

Good for your wife for running!!!:)

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

In 1992, I actually had to go running at nights to stay in the shape I was in after AIT.

Me too. Now granted this was 1977 and my mind may be foggy, but my son who went to airborne then SF confirmed he had to do the same thing. Compared to what I did going through SF (which was more about the fast ruck sack march) Airborne PT was a joke.