Broke

New appreciation of riggers

Ok so I had the bright idea of not backing my main before leaving skyfest. Then I had the bright idea of deciding to cut away my main from my contain so I wouldn't have my rig sticking out of my gear bag with my main inside the gear bag. I think after probably 30 continuity checks and twisted risers I am just about ready to connect my main to my container. It was definitally a learning experiance, and when I go to pack my rig I'll find out if I did it right.

Thanks to all my rigging friends. :D

I think I need to really learn how to daisy chain my lines

looks good to me what do you think

cell phone pics suck
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

roflmaO dude!!! A story I think that we can all sink our teeth into at some point in our careers of jumps!! However my S.Rigger saved my butt with one of His A.I.R.s.... It was such a clean chop, I didnt even notice how rough the situation could have been!!! WooHoo!!!

THX mi amigo Hector M.!! Dios ben diga!

Welp I was doing one last continuity check before packing. I must have twisted my riser, because my steering lines were in front of my C and my D lines. That would have been an interesting opening. Definitally would have been a spinning mal if I hadn't checked, checked, and checked again.

Lesson learned:
You can never check something too many times on the ground.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Hehe... I'm glad you've had this revelation, a lot of people never do. I'm also happy that you decided to stick with it and figure everything out for yourself... and double/triple/quadruple checked everything until you were satisfied. A lot of people don't have the ambition to do that either, a neverending source of frustration to riggers.

Sometime when you're at the DZ and it's raining or something, I suggest you shanghai a rigger into showing you how to connect/disconnect mains and do a continuity check... maybe that way it'll take a bit less time next time!;)

"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

there is a really cool quick way to do a continuity check, but i can never remember how to do it. has to do with lying the canopy on it's side with the lines crossed or something like that. was really cool when it was shown to me. I wish i could remember how to do it.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

It is the 4 line check.

Lay a canopy on its side (can be done PRO or hung up too). Take the out side lines on the front and rear riser for the side you have up, trace the lines from the canopy to the riser (or vise versa) as lone as you see no twists tha tside is good, flip the canopy and repeat. The nto check the brakes trace from the riser to the tail as long as you only have the brak lines and no suspension lines when you hit fabric you should be good.

With experience you can do this every time you pack and not lose any time, I do.
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Isn't that the main packing endorsement including disconnecting and reconnecting risers part of the A license requirments ?
To make sure your are OK with the 3 rings, go on the UPT Vector website. There have pictures showing how to do it. I suggest you as soon as you have landed to: 1) uncollapse you slider 2) do your brakes 3) gather the canopy starting from the lines at the 4 risers and make big stows until your reach the attachment point of the lines. If it is the last jump of the weekend and want to pack at home after an inspection, then this time, do the 3) with daisy chain and lock the last link of the daisy chain with the slider. If somebody is to pack your canopy, he/she will be very happy to have the items 1), 2) and 3) done without daisy chain.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I don't think the actual disconnecting and reconnecting was the issue. I think it was the fact that his lines were a complete mess when he went to reconnect them. It just took him forever to make sure that they were straight before he reconnected everything. At least that's how I read it.

Then I had the bright idea of deciding to cut away my main from my container... I think after probably 30 continuity checks and twisted risers I am just about ready to connect my main to my container.

Learn to daisy-chain your lines. And put a rubber line stow band around the end of your risers to keep them together in the proper orientation, without twists. Do this when the canopy is removed, and it keeps things orderly and greatly simplifies putting it back together again.

I corrected your spelling:

"A lot of people don't have the ambition to do that either, a neverending source of REVENUE to riggers."

Now that I look at it again, I see that I made quite a greivous spelling error.:D

I never charged for much other than reserve repacks and patches and such, because I've never been a full-time rigger and therefore didn't need to to pay the rent. I don't expect everyone to know everything about their gear, but I do get frustrated when somebody with 1000 jumps needs help hooking up a 3-ring.:S Even if they're paying.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

Thanks for the tip I'll remember that next time.

As for the other continuity checks people were talking about would that be similar to the line check when one is flat packing.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192