Solan

Want to buy a Fullface Helmet, what is a good one?

Hi. I am looking for a fullface helmet for FS. But not sure what to buy. I have been looking at Z1 ,OXYGEN A3 and Mamba. What I would like to have is a fullface helmet that have a good view angle and mounting for protracker inside helmet or outside if it is known as a good support for it.
Any feedback will be apprecated.

Best Regards
Solan

All of those are good and have the features you want. You'll really need to try them on to decide which one you like best though.

I have a Z1. It's about 6 or 7 years old now with maybe 1000 jumps on it. Works fine... haven't had any problems. I see a lot more issues with oxygn visors... Problems with them coming open. Mamba visors seem to get scratched up really quickly.

But they're all good. If you want to look like a 4-way pro, you NEED an oxygn. No question. :P

Dave

I have a Freezr II and I like it a lot. Simple helmet latch, fits my head. Both the Freezr I and II fit people with big heads (like me.)

I've also used an Oxygn (didn't like it) and two Factory Divers - the original and the FP1. I still use the Factory Diver for tunnel flying.

I've had the same Factory Diver for 500 jumps now. I think I've changed out the visor twice because of scratches, but that's not a big deal to do. It works fine for me, even for freeflying.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

500 jumps on a 2nd hand Z1, and only just coming round the change the visor.

If I was to buy new now, Id probably go with a factory diver. They are alot more solid compared to the Z1, and have a much more secure way of attaching to your head (grip tape instead of eleastic). IMO, the oxygn visor isnt as good as the Z1, and more fiddly to put back together.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

I had a Factory Diver that I bought used. I put about 350 jumps on it and then I bought an Oxygn A3. I'm from Wisconsin and jump all winter long. I wanted to get something that I could flip the visor up on those few jumps that it starts to fog/ice up under canopy during the winter vs propping the helmet on my head and hope it doesn't fall off. Otherwise I would have stuck with my Factory Diver.

A few people at my dz have Z1's and one person has replace his with a Factory Diver and one is keeping their eyes open to replace it. The complaint is that there's too much to do to secure it (getting the chin/neck material out of the way, tightening it, then there's the strap, etc).

A few people at my dz have Z1's and one person has replace his with a Factory Diver and one is keeping their eyes open to replace it. The complaint is that there's too much to do to secure it (getting the chin/neck material out of the way, tightening it, then there's the strap, etc).

Very strange. I set the elastic tension when I bought mine nine or ten years ago and haven't adjusted it since. I just put it on and go.

I have an Oxygen with over 700 jumps on it that I use for belly and I LOVE IT!!! Contrary to what others have said or implied, the face shield is NOT hard to replace, very easy actually and the tension adjustment is a snap as well. I also have a Factory Diver that I use for tunnel and sit flying, I really like it as well. Now other members of my team use Oxygen, Z1 and Mamba and each of them love thier helmet.

My advice to you is to try on the various full face helmets, find which of them fit you best, then demo those helnmets.

In answer to your question - The best helmet for you is the one you like.
-----------------------------------
"There are two kinds of skydivers in this world, the kind that skydive to enrich their lives and the kind that skydive to define their lives. Don't be the latter."

I set the elastic tension when I bought mine nine or ten years ago and haven't adjusted it since. I just put it on and go.

And that's why yours has lasted 9 or 10 years. People that tighten it on every jump destroy the collar.

I do think the oxygn has a better system for tightening. The chin strap on the Z1 is basically useless because the helmet can rotate forward and off. I've seen people leave the chin strap secured and still put the helmet on and take it off. But it works ok.

Dave

Factory diver is probably best with the face shield removed ( wear goggles or sunnies ). Also have a snap installed on the velcro strap to keep it from blowing off.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

The chin strap on the Z1 is basically useless because the helmet can rotate forward and off. I've seen people leave the chin strap secured and still put the helmet on and take it off. But it works ok.

Dave

The chin strap on the Z1 is not useless, it works great for securing the helmet to the chest strap for take off if you choose not to wear on the ride to altitudeB|
Kirk
He's dead Jim

The chin strap on the Z1 is basically useless because the helmet can rotate forward and off. I've seen people leave the chin strap secured and still put the helmet on and take it off. But it works ok.

Dave

The chin strap on the Z1 is not useless, it works great for securing the helmet to the chest strap for take off if you choose not to wear on the ride to altitudeB|

Serves the same purpose as a hockey helmet chin strap.

I own a Z1 full face and love it. I've seen the Mamba, and it looks comfortable, but I still like the overall design of the Z1 better.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

As you are in full progession I wouldn't not recommend you a full face helmet. That will limit the communication (visual and aural) with your coach or freefall partner. Moreover, if you have a malfunction a full face helmet will not help you to locate your cutaway and rerserve handles. I was coaching a girl (with about 40+ jumps) 2 weekends ago when she grabbed a full face helmet fo her jumps with me. I asked her to get a more conventional helmet for the reasons I mentioned. Same remark for the coach. PFF instructors for better communication purpose don't use generally a full face helmet. You have to resist to the trend : FASHION VERSUS FUNCTION
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Go somewhere, try them on, see what fits. It depends in some ways on your head shape.

I can wear a medium Freezr, but need an XL Oxygn, and was uncomfortable with the Z1. But that's my head. So see what fits well, and maintain it well.

Oxygn helmets can have problems with the rubber gasket sticking. I use a little bit (very little) of plumber's grease every few weeks, and that makes it slide more easily. It doesn't deteriorate the rubber, either. Works for me.

The main reason I don't own a Freezr is because mine walked away. It probably has the best head protection (which isn't saying much) among the fullface helmets.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I recently switched from a Z1 to a Factory Diver and I love it. It fits much better and is much more secure. With the Z1 I had, if you pushed the sides in while wearing it, it would easily slide right off. I recommend a Factory Diver and getting a snap put on it.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

Can anyone recommend a full face that fits well over glasses ? I tried on a Mamba once, but had to take my glasses off in order to put it on, and then again before taking it off. And no, I don't want contacts either. Anybody with glasses flying a comfy full face out there ?

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !