maurice1369

What type of BOC pouch do you have?

Well guys, since I started the poll I will be the first to answer.

I used to have a Cordura BOC pouch about a month ago until I had a premature opening at 9000 feet then I had my rigger replace it with a double layer spandex pouch.
EXPECT THE WORST, HOPE FOR THE BEST!!!

I have Spandex on my Mirage.

Going back to
maurice1369 original post, from my knowledge, Wings is the only one to use the cordura BOC. My one scary situation with Spandex was about a month ago. I ordered the FF hacky. When wingsuiting, I used to let the FF tab flap out of the container B/C it added to my already complicated pull sequence during a WS deployment. . Last month I went to transition to backflying and felt something flapping on my lower back (end of the PS). Since then, I tuck the tab and have no probs on depolyment or during flight. Guess I was a bit paranoid come deployment time when in actuality I gave myself a bigger problem. I guess to answer the original question, I still prefer spandex just cause it has a grip on the whole PS not just the neck of the BOC.

I have Spandex on my Mirage.

I ordered the FF hacky. When wingsuiting, I used to let the FF tab flap out of the container B/C it added to my already complicated pull sequence during a WS deployment. . Last month I went to transition to backflying and felt something flapping on my lower back (end of the PS).

Bit off topic, but here is my Wingsuiting advice to you - take it or leave it - Get rid of the freefly pud if you are going to do any kind of wingsuiting. Get it replaced with a hackey right now.

An untucked pud is a premature waiting to happen, by snag or by wind. And a tucked one is an added complication to your deployment.

Can you get away with it? Sure... But is it worth the $20 buck to have it changed?

A hackey is a premature waiting to happen. They are floppy high drag items, and additionally they are a weight on the top of your P/C, not exactly brilliant engineering.

If you want a premature resistant, effective P/V go with the pipe handle, or a freefly pud that is well secured.

A properly designed freefly pud should have no additional complications during deployment than any other system.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

To make my BOC pockets, I use a doublelayer elastic fabric that I buy at Raibow Jumpsuits in Germany. It is made of two layers of a strong kind of Spandex, sticked back to back (the shiny side facing out).

Those pockets are very durable, elastic in both directions and do not get loose after time. In addition they are easy to sew in and for installing binding tape.

JPD

Spandex (with a PVC handle, but that's another thread).

Two friends have now had reserve rides from getting their pilot chutes wedged up in cordura pouches. And I haven't even been jumping that long!

Yes, I am aware you can pack your pilot chute in such a way that it won't get wedged like that.

But 1) why would you do that to yourself, add an extra thing could go wrong, and 2) these are 4-way people who go on training camps. They don't really have the opportunity to talk to everybody who might pack their rig for a week, just to make sure everybody knows not to have the pilot chute bulk at the bottom for their precious unique snowflake of a BoC pouch.

As a wise rigger told me, if you're that worried about wear on the pouch, the best thing you can do is not store your rig with the PC packed. Not quite such a conversation piece but it works just as well.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

And the reason a lot of us STOPPED using the pipe handle before you started jumping was people inadvertantly sticking a finger in it and not being able to get it out easily.

One option that didn't last very long, probably not very cool, was a wiffle golf ball.
golf ball
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Rig manufacturers offer a Cordura BOC pouch? You mean a pouch that is not elastic? Why on earth would they do that? Some type of elasticity is needed for security.

The bulk of my (Wings) BOC pouch is Cordura. The "mouth" is elastic.

And the reason a lot of us STOPPED using the pipe handle before you started jumping was people inadvertantly sticking a finger in it and not being able to get it out easily.

One option that didn't last very long, probably not very cool, was a wiffle golf ball.
golf ball

a properly trimmed bottle cork takes care of the PVC pipe problem nicely, if one is on a budget or in a rush. Otherwise I prefer leather hackeys.

They have been doing that for years. What rock have you been hiding under?;):P

Wings http://www.skydivewings.com/index.php?page=our_products

Reflex is cordura, actually built into the container rather than applied to the outside.

Heck, my early 80's Northern Lite had a cordura leg strap pocket with a velcro tab on the handle to hold it in. Made several of those to convert rip cord rigs and replaced them all with spandex later. (before BOC)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Rig manufacturers offer a Cordura BOC pouch? You mean a pouch that is not elastic? Why on earth would they do that? Some type of elasticity is needed for security.

As for the why ... the rationale is that it doesn't wear as easily as spandex. I've put close to 500 jumps on my Wings with Cordura (and a elastic "mouth" as Ficus describes) and it's exactly the same as it was on the day I obtained it (as a used rig with about 10 jumps on it).

Because my main is a snug fit in this container, I do have to be cognizant of how the PC is folded to go in the pouch, as a "short, fat" fold can make for a more difficult pull. But usually a couple good bumps with my fist will flatten it out to a comfortable pull.

Since I bought the rig used, I didn't make the choice for the Cordura pouch, but it works for me well enough that I haven't seen need to replace it with spandex.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

it works for me well enough that I haven't seen need to replace it with spandex.

That's what Martin said until his Series Of Unfortunat Events on his secondhand Wings. Then he got it replaced :)

If you always pack for yourself, it's different obviously!
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

That's what Martin said until his Series Of Unfortunat Events on his secondhand Wings. Then he got it replaced

So what's the story? That doesn't give me enough details.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Sorry, that was further upthread.

He used a packer during a 4-way meet, who didn't know about the need to avoid packing a pilot chute with the bulk distributed towards the bottom of the BOC when it's made of cordura. It balled up when he went to pull, and he ended up having to go to his reserve.

On the ground, someone easily picked his whole rig up by the hackey... now that packer knows better, but my friend has changed out the pouch because there could always be a next time.
--