returnofdamac

Mamba (helmet)

For a while now I have been considering getting the Mamba helmet made by Bonehead composites but have yet to come into contact with a person who has one. Does anyone have some advice good/bad about purchasing this helmet
Me: I want to ride a bull out of a skyvan.
vegasjoe: How the hell are you going to land that thing?
Me: Who said anything about landed with it? I think after we'll have some Bar-B-Que.

I have one and like it pretty well. It is one of only two full face helmets that fits my large melon. The other is the new FreeZr2. My only peeve with the Mamba is that the lens gets scratched/hazy petty easily. Be very careful how you handle/store/clean the lens. At least the lens is just a piece of bent plastic that can be purchased at any TapPlastic store. The FreeZr lens is custom molded, but seems to take abuse a bit better.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

My only peeve with the Mamba is that the lens gets scratched/hazy petty easily. Be very careful how you handle/store/clean the lens. At least the lens is just a piece of bent plastic that can be purchased at any TapPlastic store.

Same here. Excellent helmet but my lens is getting quite scratched after 250 jumps and several hours of tunnel.
Have you any advice to clean it without scratching it?

I like my Mamba a lot. When the lens needed replacement I just bought one from Bonehead for less than $20.

I have a friend who also has a Mamba because it was the only helmet he could find that would accommodate eye glassses.

It is very easy to raise and lower the visor; and if you forget to put it down and jump with it up it is strong enough to not get torn off.
... Marion

I got myself a Mamba about 1½ years ago and I use it for all my jumping except camera.
Its an awesome helmet that work well in any orientation and for any speed ;)

“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

My only peeve with the Mamba is that the lens gets scratched/hazy petty easily. Be very careful how you handle/store/clean the lens. At least the lens is just a piece of bent plastic that can be purchased at any TapPlastic store.

Same here. Excellent helmet but my lens is getting quite scratched after 250 jumps and several hours of tunnel.

Just take the lens off and take it to a TAP Plastics and ask them to make you another one like it. Expect to spend less than $10.

I've been using my Mamba helmet for three years and absolutely love it. It's comfortable and has held up much better than my Oxygen. It needed a replacement lense after about 250 jumps, which was inexpensive and easy enough to do. I do mostly RW but have worn it on the few sit-fly attempts that I have made. Several friends have purchased it on my recommendation and have been very happy. Definitely a good choice.

I'm also a member of the Freakishly Large Head Club™, so far I've only found the Mamba XXL and the FreeZR2 XL fit my head in full-face helmets.

I'll play devil's advocate on the Mamba -I don't like the way the Mamba fits. It may just be my head/face - I feel claustrophobic when I put it on because of the way it hits the mouth. I know many people like the way it opens, I find it a little frustrating (but maybe that's just because I haven't used it enough). I'm planning to get a FreeZR 2 - it works better on my head/face, I prefer the way it opens, and I prefer the visibility.

This is not a slam against Bonehead (I love my Guner!) or the Mamba - it's just not the right helmet for me, but it's just a caution that with all helmets, particularly full-face, your best bet is to try as many different styles and sizes on as you can to find the one that you like the best for your uniquely-shaped head.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I was getting the lens on a borrowed Mamba replaced at Square One in Elsinore and they said the best bet to clean it is to hold it under running water and if you need to, rub it with just your fingers while it's under the water to get off any dirt. Then just let it air dry. Don't rub it with any cloth. Store it in a soft bag, without anything stored in it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I don't free fly, so not sure how it works.

Clean it with a soft cloth and water. Do not use any cleaning solutions. They can cause it to get a haze on the lens. I learned the hard way. I used to keep my alti in it when in my gear bag. Caused scratches. Now I suggest having its own helmet bag with nothing stored inside. Not even gloves. But even with these issues, love the helmet.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I've had mine for at least a coupla hundred jumps now and I absolutely love it. I have a tiny little pinhead, and it was the only helmet I could find that had different size shells, not just linings; mine fits me like a glove.

I had the scratching/fogging problem with my first lens, too, but the one I bought from Bonehead to replace it has been fine.

The best endorsement I can give it, though, is for its durability. I, bright girl that I am, forgot to buckle it before a jump last week. As I was coming off the hill, my helmet flew off my head. "Crap," I thought. "This is gonna be one fucking expensive skydive." (I am proud to say that despite being able to see nothing but my flapping eyelids, I made it in for both points on a 10-way.)

When I landed, a friend said she'd seen it under canopy, and she thought she knew where it landed. A couple of hours and two search parties later, my helmet was located. It was completely intact - not a scratch on it - and the dytter was still in the pocket. I wrote a note of appreciation to Bonehead.

Needless to say, I double-check the buckle before every jump now! ;)

May the (relative) wind take your troubles away...

I own two helmets, an open face helmet and a mamba for the winter periiod. I concur with wath other users said about the screen getting sracthed and looking hazy very easely. You can use it for freefly however if you do head down with it the screen will pop open on transitions. I also don't like the way dytters are installed, it's a hassle to get them in and out.

Hi, I'm the one that was mentioned about the helmet fitting over my glasses.

What else should be said is that you can " bake" the lining of the helmet & quickly insert it, then put it on you head.

Then it will "form fit" to your head shape.

And.. yes if you don't close the visor it wont get torn off! :o:D:D

I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!

FLH Brother here, reporting in. I mostly do RW, with very occasional head-up flying, and use the same helmet all the time.

I've had a Mamba for the last 200 jumps, having traded in my Havok as just slightly too bulky in cramped planes (though this is another one for the melon people).

I have a big chin and a long head, and the Mamba is the only helmet that works - Factory Divers are the wrong shape, Freezrs are big enough but feel weird, etc. I've cut out a small section of the chin plastic and since then it's been good as gold.

I'd reiterate what others have said about the visor - my Mamba and my teammate's both got hopelessly scratched after about a year, and we've since bought separate helmet bags to try and make them last a bit better.

I've also had one fairly heavy crash in the tunnel wearing it, and was really glad I did - it survived fine, with some marks to the visor and front. My head likewise :)

If it ever dies, I will buy another one without a thought.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I bought a Mamba and jumped it for the first time about a month ago. I'm not altogether happy with the way the chin piece is constructed. There is a separate thin plastic piece wrapping around the chin which is shaped to follow the helmut and a small notch to act as a vent. It's held on with 2 screws and the padding attaches to this with velcro, I find it a bit flimsy considering the price of the helmut. I also don't like the way the drawstring attaching to the strap around your neck is finished. You have to knot it or it slips loose.

Nice paint job though!!
"Know your own limits"

I learned that one when I exited the plane without the visor being clicked in place. Flipped up but I didnt notice, and I was wondering why my face felt different. Flipped it down and started tracking. :P

I love my mamba.

Ironic thread, I just finished replacing my visor (right around 300 jumps with that visor). As stated it's cheap plastic and comes straight, no special molding so making own should be possible (haven't tried but good idea).

I like the two audible pockets as others have stated as well.

The visor can flip open but that can be fixed by adding some additional washers to the medal stud that keeps the visor closed.
-Patrick

Oh, forgot to mention something important: Bonehead's customer service was superb the only time I needed it. Email responses came back in less than an hour, and with the information I actually needed and everything (I was trying to replace my visor with metric-system hex keys, because I am a dumbass).
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I learned that one when I exited the plane without the visor being clicked in place. Flipped up but I didnt notice, and I was wondering why my face felt different. Flipped it down and started tracking. [:P
I love my mamba.

I didn't notice till I WAS tracking! :o
Couldn't figure out why my eyes started watering so bad! :D never closed it!

I agree. I love my Mamba!!!!
I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!