Auryn

How to improve Precision Tandem Openings?

My DZ uses 50 percent Sigma mains and 50 percent Precision mains and the TIs are asking about improving the openings on the Precisions. Our packers use the same way to pack each, a standard pro pack. The Sigmas are opening so much better than the Precisions that the TIs are hesitant to jump the Precisions unless they absolutely have to. The sizes on the Precisions range from 365s to 400s and the DOM of all our gear is early 2007.

Any suggestions out there?

Thanks

Bryan Klindworth

Are you talking about the Precision Aerodynamics tandem main?
That is all we jump and for the most part the opennings are great not too snivelie but about 600 ft opennings. We just do a standard PRO pack with the slider just out infront of the nose.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

You'll need to define "bad opening".

What's going wrong, and I can help fix it.

I find the PA tandem canopies open far better than the Sigmas, no deployment stalls, and no tension knots.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

From what one of the TIs is saying, they're getting a squirrelly snivel, then "POP" versus the sigma that sort of unfolds once it's done sniveling. I don't have personal experience with a PA opening, so I can't give more of a description than that.

Bryan

You'll need to define "bad opening".

What's going wrong, and I can help fix it.

I find the PA tandem canopies open far better than the Sigmas, no deployment stalls, and no tension knots.

There are two things I have noticed that help make my openning more consitant.
First, I find it makes a big difference to make sure the slider does not get pushed out from the cocoon in the pack job. I find it best when laying the pack job down into the big triangle to capture the this point where the line groups leave the cocoon. I do this by putting my knees on each side of the point where the line groups leave the cocoon. Some may find it easier to use there feet. I leave my knees there until it is time to "S" fold the pack job.
Second, I find some packers like to milk the pack job from the triangle into the cigar shape that will be "S" folded. I find I get better consistancey in my pack jobs by taking a second and specifically folding the outer corners of the triangle under the cocoon.
Kirk
Kirk
He's dead Jim

My DZ uses 50 percent Sigma mains and 50 percent Precision mains and the TIs are asking about improving the openings on the Precisions.

Easy. Replace them with other mains ;)

Only two of the tandems at our DZ are Precision loaded. They are always the last to be used, if ever, and for pretty much the same reasons as you state.