AggieDave

Hunter shot by his dog (I'm not kidding)

What an odd, odd but true story...

that had to hurt. with dogs like that, you need a lot of friends! ;) i found a "desert dog" on this rig i'm on in Saudi-Arabia, near Haradh, he looks kind of like a great dane/labrador mix, at first he wouldn't even come to me (he has obviously been abused) he is really malnurished. so at first i was having the chef fix me some grilled chicken breasts, and i was feeding them to him, he wouldn't take the food from me, he was so scared, then after about 4 or 5 days, he started taking the chicken from my hand, now he's a kewel pet. him taking that chicken from my hand reminded me of the trust between "dances with wolves" (kevin costner) and the wolf in the movie. this is odd, but true as well, i took some pictures of him, and i will post them as soon as i get home. i'm using a company computer over here, and not allowed to attach any hardware. plenty when i return.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

That's almost as funny as the two guys scaring the birds with dynamite and having the dog keep bringing the "stick" back to them (fuse burning).

The story said that the dog ended up hiding under there new SUV from all the yelling. I would have probably shot the dog....Wait a minute. I must hope that I would not be there in the first place.

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

That guys and idiot. What kind of hunter lays down a loaded gun?>:( Not to mention pointing the muzzle in your own direction. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. What about the damn safety. Oohh, this kind of idiot pisses me off!>:(

This is the type of guy Darwin was always talking about... Had he died, it would have been called "Natural Selection" LOL!

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

I knew a guy once who was hunting ducks. He stopped to rest and leaned his gun against a tree. His faithful dog bumped the gun and it fell over. When it hit the ground it went off shooting the guy in the chest. Luckily only part of the blast caught him and he survived.

If you hunt or shoot long enough, we all make mistakes. Safeties aren't always fool proof and it's usually the unloaded gun that shoots someone.

I almost shot my best friend once when I was in High School. We were packing out a deer on a pole and I had forgotten the bullet in the chamber of my gun. Somehow it got off safety. Somehow my thumb touched the trigger and the bullet went right over his head. Was this stupid? Of course? Gun safety is a lot like skydiving. Complacency can kill. Steve1

Good story Takes balls to admit this!

I know these things happen.. Durring my QL2 (Canadian boot camp), the very first time we went to the range to fire our newly-aquired C7s (Canadian M16! -We got cool scopes instead of the handle on top), We are in prone, Warrant Major is barking out fire orders and in between each of them, this damn bug keeps tickling my cheek. Finally, I go to brush it off with my hand and I touch not a bug but the barrel of the Private next to me... BOOM! the bullet left a scrape along the back of my helmet.

I got thrown off the range for standing up and kicking him in the face :(. We made up after that though.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

From the article:
"That's the hard part, talking to people, because you feel like such a fool," he said.

Safeties aren't always fool proof

...then we can't be fools. But yeah, I hear you. I shoot black powder, so basically, I have to expect that any component could fail or be hot and then I have an exploding rod in my hand.

Complacency can kill

...amen.

-Doug

Damn, I'm ready to go home now.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Keith,
Sometimes it's the cat. I went to school with a guy who always had a loaded pistol above his head board on his bed. When I say loaded I mean a round in the chamber. One day his cat nocked the gun off, it went off shooting him through the head. He died soon after. Now the theory is that the cat did this, others say his wife shot him. It must have been an older pistol though, in which the safety didn't block the firing pin. A lot of weapons will fire just by dropping them, even though the safety is on. I know cops carry a round in the chamber all the time. The nice thing about it is that the newer pistols have a safety that blocks the hammer from hitting the firing pin. Steve1

Oh ok. I can't say I've ever heard that before, in my class or out, but I'll take your word for it.
B|

Hey what's the deal with Hunter Safety courses these days? I heard that they will not give "any one, regardless of age" a hunting liscense anymore unless they either 1. Had a liscense previous to the new regs. or 2. Have taken a hunting safety course. Is this true? (Seems like a pretty good idea to me.) Of course I live in Washington so maybe it's different here than other states.

J
YSD#0009

Coho21,
I think it's up to each state on these regulations. In Montana you don't have to take this course if you are over 18. There is a bowhunting course that everyone has to take now if you plan to bowhunt, no matter your age. Check with your states Fish & Game Dept. Steve1

It really isn't that big of an issue for me, just curious. Personally, though I don't like the idea of people walking around the woods with guns that haven't had some sort of formal training/instruction, or haven't been doing it for a very long time.

I've run into a couple of these people and have actually been shot at, accidentally, by some idiot plinking away without knowing his backdrop.B|

J
YSD#0009

Keith,
Sometimes it's the cat.

And sometimes the deer wins. ;)

My great-cousin (?) (grandfather's cousin) was hunting with a group back in the late 1940s. He shot a buck, and the deer went down. When he approached it, it started to get back up. For some reason, instead of shooting it again, he started clubbing it in the head with the stock of his rifle. Two of his buddies who saw it happen theorized that the first blow knocked the safety off. He clubbed it the second time, and when he pulled the rifle back up, a tine hung in the trigger and the gun went off. Since the barrel was pointed directly at his chest at the time.....mourners please send flowers.

Ever since I heard the story of the videographer who jumped without his rig, I can't think of one story without the other. I wonder what they must have felt in those last seconds, knowing that they had just made such a monumental mistake that they would pay for it with their lives. :(

Don
IHJ#2

Oh ok. I can't say I've ever heard that before, in my class or out, but I'll take your word for it.
B| This is true in california. Its a ten hour class, dry and boring. It is also required for gun purchase unless you have your military records to prove you have been trained in safety. Unfortunatly these records don't count towards the hunting licence. I need to get an out of state licence and then apply here and call it a day.

Hey what's the deal with Hunter Safety courses these days? I heard that they will not give "any one, regardless of age" a hunting liscense anymore unless they either 1. Had a liscense previous to the new regs. or 2. Have taken a hunting safety course. Is this true? (Seems like a pretty good idea to me.) Of course I live in Washington so maybe it's different here than other states.