JohnnyZ

Mirage DRX (Direct Reserve Xtraction)

It's similar in design to the Skyhook in that it's an RSL that includes an additional lanyard connecting the RSL to the reserve pilot chute bridal.

The way it attaches to the bridal is quite a bit different and is, in my humble (and admittedly non-rigger) opinion, cleaner and involves less additional parts added to the reserve container. I don't have any photos of the DRx attachment method, and don't know how best to describe it, so I'll let someone from Mirage Systems or a rigger who's had a chance to examine one chime in with further details.

That clears that up!;)

Sounds like there might be a little more misinformation coming out of Eric's camp.....

The system used by Mirage Systems is Eric's system with a big improvement compare to the old LES and the Skyhook. We just have not the time to finish the work to have it ready soon. Mainly because of the no reserve side flaps concept of the Advance and Seven systems. But we will when we could.
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468

Does anyone know how this system handles an RSL side only breakaway due to mis-rigging, Flip Through, or a broken riser?

The SkyHook addresses this problem with the integrated Collin's Lanyard, which ensures the non-RSL side riser is cutaway as the RSL side riser leaves the container. This avoids having the reserve deploy into the main canopy that is still attached to the non-RSL side riser.

How does the DRX system handle these scenarios?

Mark Klingelhoefer
United Parachute Technologies

On 2 Jun 08 under:

Worrying Safety Bulletin concerning the Vigil

I posted:

And it is going to get much worse in this skydiving industry ( some other products ) if some recent communications I have received are any indication.

If this back-stabbing doesn't end, this sport will simply go downhill.

I think that the market will decide the necessity of such a device.

Or one can consider the poll that JEFFREY placed here about 6 months ago asking about when was the last time anyone experienced a broken riser. Oh right, that was when he was employed by Mirage and designing the DRX System but now he works for UPT.

:S

JerryBaumchen

So are you saying that broken 2a sheething from a flip through 3 ring does not happen? I personally have seen one this year. This caused a riser failure and subsequent reserve deployment. Or if a container is mis-rigged and the loop is put through 2 rings rather than one, this can cause a 2a loop failure. We have seen this also. The riser does not have to break to cause the RSL side riser to separate from the container while the other riser is still connected. I am simply saying that the UPT system addresses the issue, and was asking if the Mirage system addresses it.

This discussion should not be compared to the nasty backstabbing going on in the AAD market. As a skydiver I am just wondering how their system deals with these issues if they chose not to incorporate the Collin's lanyard into their system. I know that the SkyHook incorporates it. I am also educating the skydiving world on the Collin’s Lanyard’s benefits because I am sure that not all the skydiving world understands them.

Mark Klingelhoefer
United Parachute Technologies

I would say that the vast majority of SKYDIVERS are not aware how the Skyhook works. No wonder since the device is concealed into the reserve container and if you don't observe a rigger packing a reserve equiped with the Skyhook all you know is the name of the device and some superficial info. That's why as a rigger I asked UPT VECTOR to provide me with a Skyhook demonstrator. I was at a major DZ last weekend and made several demo with the Skyhook demonstrator to the benefit of all observers. Even riggers came and saw the demo. Seeing the Skyhook demo with its 3 functions results most of the time in being convinced and after seeing the accompanying DVD illustrating the Skyhook at work you are totally convinced.
For the occurrence of the right riser breaking off, I never saw one personally but at Quincy at the WFFC a guy sitting beside me in the airplane had the 3 ring locking loop passing thru the second ring intead of the first one only (that will increase the opening force on the locking loop by a factor of 10) which can lead to a breaking of the loop then to a riser release. I told him and he asked me to reroute the locking loop properly which I did. After jumping on evening he bought me a couple of beers.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Not directed at who I replied to, but more or less on the same subject...

My personal feeling is, I wouldn't jump anything just because a container manufacturer or otherwise came up with it...

I'd have to know everything or as much as possible about both systems, and personally would like it if Mirage offered both the SkyHook and their own...

I'd like to see it test jumped (video is fine), and used in the field by many before wanting it on my own rig...

I believe competition is a good thing for creating new innvocations on the market, but time proven when it's your life is also important...

As a software developer, and a very good one, I know how easy it is even for me to have a bug in some software I wrote...now imagine that in an AAD...not something I would want...and I know my jump numbers are small but I've had a cutaway with a regular RSL...so I think the whole "SkyHook" market is very interesting...

Lonne