phatcat

Police, Firefighters, EMS - Roll call

Former Rhode Island EMT-C/ET certified. Help start a municipal service in a town that had been volunteer-only for 50 years (not easy), and about a year later, formed IAFF Local 3365. ;)

Had a lot of fun, but after shaking things up so much, it actually became kind of boring...

Been out of the fire service for three years, was in for 4 or so, best damn time in my life, I still miss it. Badge #331, Northwest Fire and Rescue, Station 30

"You Go, We Go" Yeah I know its a cheeseball movie once you've really been in, but damn what a line.;)

Edit: Cuz I didn't read the entire first post, Why, My father was a smoke-eater, its in the blood, hell my entire family does something to that effect, cousin police detecticvem cousin, medic, best friend firemarsahll, firefighter, Mom RN, Fiance RN, cousin studying to be an RN. Its a family thing;)

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

Former EMT (2 years) - Best damn job I ever had, just didn't pay enough
Former Dispathcer (Police, Fire, & Medical) (6 years) - Another great job... which led to my current job as tech support for Computer Aided Dispatch software... pays a helluva lot better :P

I would do either job again if the money was right or if money didn't matter.

I had to quit in the middle of paramedic school to help out some family members for a while... someday I intend to go back...

I have nothing but respect for the anyone in these fields, you don't get paid nearly enough for the job.

Blues!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing"

I could'nt think of a better name, Skycop is kinda cheesy but hey.:S
I'm a Sgt. with a medium sized city police department (15yrs) . I just kinda fell into police work after I got out of the active duty military. I'm the only one in my family to make public service a career.
Skydiving gives me a chance to hang out with all different types of people. After a while cops tend to hang out exclusively with other cops, and that leads to a really warped sense of reality! Skydiving and staying in the military reserve has kept my reality a little more centered.
Blue Skies,
Jim

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

Skydiving and staying in the military reserve has kept my reality a little more centered.

That's probably the first time anyone has ever said that!

:)

5 years in the fire service here. Firefighter/EMT for Local 3855 in NW Washington.

How I got started? Kinda fell into it. I tested for years for law enforcement and then decided that I was going to get my EMT, but needed to be sponsored by FD. So I volunteered and got my EMT. Liked it so much I started testing and low and behold, career FF now.

Never forget my 343 brothers that gave their lives for you NY.

Started as a firefighter when I was 19 (because I was 19 and didn't have anything better to do). Became an EMT shortly thereafter. Changed careers for awhile to chase $$. Learned the hard way that money wasn't everything, and came back. Now I work as an EMT and go to Paramedic school. The hours are too long, the pay is a joke, and no one ever says "thanks". Patients are loud, smelly, and they bleed, spit, and puke on you. But I LOVE IT and wouldn't trade it for the world!

edited for spelling

In a world full of people, only some want to fly... isn't that crazy! --Seal

14 years as a police officer for a suburb of Dallas, 11 of that on the SWAT team (hence the moniker). Currently working vice / narcotics.

I agree with Skycop when he said skydiving was the best thing he's ever done. Cops do tend to close themselves off and only associate with other cops. Now I hang out with way more skydivers than cops.

How I got started: Dad was a Dallas cop for over 20 years. Seemed like a good idea at the time. It definately has its moments.

JC

Police officer in Texas. I work on a Joint Terrorism Task Force with every three letter Federal Agency you can think of. The reason I do it? I enjoy working with the type of people that the public service attracts. The sense of teamwork is incredible.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

You know what CHP stands for dont ya?

Cant Handle Policework.

Triple AAA with a badge.:P

Oh, they hate that! Whenever they show up, ask if there's a police officer available. When they say "Ma'am I'm a police officer" ask then "Then why does your badge say "Traffic Officer"?:ph34r::ph34r:

I was a Deputy Sheriff for three years, and a municipal cop for 10.

Skydiving is all the fun of kicking the door and serving a felony warrant on an armed suspect without any of the shooting:)
Necessito a ver sus manos! Horita! Hee hee! Skydiving is better:)

why does your badge say "Traffic Officer"?

I'm living for the day when I can call one of those TSA wannabes a "square badge". You can all visit my ashes in the Federal "Disappeared" Graveyard. :S

Dad was a real cop, I hate it when I see cheap imitations. :(
Freedom -- Expression -- Spirit

The hours are too long, the pay is a joke, and no one ever says "thanks". Patients are loud, smelly, and they bleed, spit, and puke on you. But I LOVE IT and wouldn't trade it for the world!

LOL, you've got to have priorities. Looks like yours are in the right place.;)

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

I've been an EMT for 3 years now.. started out volunteering with fire departments in Mississippi and then went ahead and got my EMS certifications started driving ambulances on the weekends.. it was great fun! Had many 8, 12 & 16 hour shifts in the ambulance, got to see all kinds of things. Moved to virginia and haven't done much EMS since then - but my certs are still active. Did get into police work up here, started out as an auxillary now i'm moving on to another department to move "up" and become a full fledged "reserve" -- another hobby i guess you could say, neither job paid anything (to speak of), the police stuff literally pays nothing since it is volunteer. I do computer security for the government full time, which pays for all the other stuff.

Things I learned from EMS? Sometimes it is very hard work (a 300 lb heart attack on the 3rd floor of an apartment complex comes to mind) people seldom tell you thank you (even if you just brought somone back from "the other side") you see a lot of death (some very pointless, meaningless, and should have been avoidied types), and have to deal with people in all different types of environments & mindsets.

I enjoy helping people, always have probably always will - if that is how you are, then the job is rewarding in itself. The pay, the long hours, and the often times lack of respect for the job just go along with it.

Kevin

Thats actually what I started classes for in the first place and what Im 99% sure I will end up being an EMT.I researched the employment opportunities here in Bakersfield and the surrounding cities and it doesnt look promising .LA aint but a hundred miles,thats where my wife suggests but Im leaning towards my old stomping grounds,the S.F. Bay Area.I have 2 step brothers on the Oakland Ca. police force,One is a street patrolman and Rick is training the ghetto bird pilots last I heard.

I have a long time for decisions.

dropdeded
pcss#26
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-