whoops

A2 Tandem canopy

Whoops

There are several DZ and TM's that use the A2 on a regular basis, if you'd like some contact info for them, please drop me a PM and I'll gladly assist.

Blue Skies

Karl Meyer
Marketing Coordinator
Aerodyne Research
Office: 1 813 891 6300
www.flyaerodyne.com

If I had a choice between a A2, Sigma, Icarus, Firebolt and an EZ, I would pick the A2 nearly every time. A close second is the Sigma, followed by an EZ, the Icarus and a very very distant last place is the Firebolt.

The A2 has a light toggle stroke, and opens really well, but it still has the really solid bottom end that the Icarus really lacks unless you pop the toggles. The Sigma has the same bottom end, but has a heavier toggle stroke. The Icarus opens well, but linetwists get goofy with the canopy flying in full flight. The bottom end really lacks compared to the Sigma and the A2. The Firebolt pretty much sucks at everything. It opens poorly, flies poorly and flares even worst. I would literally rather jump a 6-grommet EZ for every tandem jump then ever do another jump on a Firebolt.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I say Icarus, A2, Sigma, EZ .. never jumped firebolt. The Aerodyne tandem main I jumped was very sporty and the toggle pressure was the lightest of any tandem canopy I've jumped. Very sweet, wish I had more than 2-3 jumps on it to say more.
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

We had one at our DZ but we sold it (or traded it I think) because it didn't quite fit in with the rest (EZ, Sigma, Icarus); it was flaoaoaoaoaoty. If I saw the A2 opening when filming a tandem, I knew I was going to be in the landing area a while waiting for my tandem to land, that thing takes it's own sweet time getting down ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Hi Whoops,
You really should investigate the FireBolt Tandem Canopy. It has absolutely the nicest openings - very soft, very smooth. The flare is easy and responsive while the lift is sustained for a long time. There are 3 sizes: 298, 350, 396. The 350 is the best "all around". I like the 298 for the light toggle pressure and sporty feel. At 138 pounds, it works well for me. For some good video of FireBolt openings go to the Jumpshack.com video gallery.

It has absolutely the nicest openings - very soft, very smooth.

Sure, about the same as an EZ-384 with a 6-grommet slider. Its ok, but not great and not as good as other modern tandem canopies.

The flare is easy and responsive while the lift is sustained for a long time.

Sure, once again compared to an EZ-384. Compared to a Icarus tandem main, its not that great. Compared to the Sigma the Firebolt severely under performs. Compared to the A2 the Firebolt doesn't even compare.

A few years ago I got cross trained on the Racer tandem. I learned a couple of things that weekend. One is I would never jump that tandem system ever again. Two is that the Firebolt doesn't live up to the hype of the Racer cult.

my DZO is buying a couple of new tandems and I will have to get him to consider the A2 main based on this discussion. Under consideration are Sigma and Precision/Icarus. Regarding the Firebolt tandem, I guess opinions vary. Riggerrob is a well respected tandem IE with 31 years in the sport and 5700 jumps - and not sponsored to my knowledge. Here is what he has said lately....."Jump Shack claims that their Firebolt canopy will do all that, just with different sizes for different experience levels.
I have only jumped the Firebolt 396, but liked it"

If it's been "a few years", you haven't jumped a current production FireBolt. In fact you may have jumped the old Racer TD400 model or the early tapered tip (pre-FireBolt), which were fine canopies for their day. But they were not nearly the fine canopy flying experience that the FireBolt is.

I'm told by other users that the FireBolt opens soft like an Icarus - but more orderly, and far outperforms all other current production canopies in terms of flare.

Don't salt you food before you taste it.:)

So the Firebolt that I jumped in 2005 has been rebuilt into a new canopy even though the previous canopy was held up as the best thing since buttered bread. I'm very active in the sport, why was the change snuck in and not announced?