3pines

Of Clowns and Such...

A newbie question -

Why do most skydive jumpsuits - resemble clown costumes???
Really - as a newbie I'm jumping in jeans and tucked in shirts - And I'm looking to buy a jumpsuit - but is there some hidden "skydiver code" - that I am yet unaware of, that requires me to design my new jumpsuit with such an obnoxious array of patterns and colors so as to "fit-in" with the rest of you - who seem to have purchased your jumpsuits during a collective bad acid trip on your way to flunking out of clown college.

Please let us newbie’s in on the joke...

Unless the joke's on you…

PS…

Here are some "rationalities" I'm not buying into:

“My multi-colored Clown/Jump Suit…

1. Allows me to "Stand-Out" against the Ground below me or the Sky above me:
So would any suit of a SINGLE, NON - Blue/Green/Brown Color
2. It's easy to see my Grips:
I agree Grips should be brightly colored - Against a suit of a SINGLE color - For Truly Quick Recognition.
3. Shows up better on Camera:
Modern Color Theory suggests that quick visual recognition of any object is dependent upon clear boundary discernment. The process of boundary discernment for an object comprised of ONE CONTIGUOUS contrasting color is recognized by the brain MUCH MORE EFFICIENTLY than that of an object composed of many different colors.

Let me make an observation from the standpoint of an “outsider”:

The “Hey Everyone Look At Me” dynamic is equally entrenched in the personalities of most Skydivers, as well as it is with most Circus Performers.

There is a Question I think every Skydiver should ask him/herself:

Would I still Skydive If No One Knew I Did It…?

I went through my AFP this past summer at a very large (promoted as the “Largest”) DZ on the East Coast, and found that so much of the activity of Skydiving was centered on drawing the attention of others to “the skydivER”, rather than sharing the experience of “SkyDivING” to others as a life-affirming activity.

But what do I know – I’m sure I’ll get more self-centered as I progress…

Yours Truly,

A Center of Attention...In the Making...

Would you type this crap if no one read it?

I went through my AFP this past summer at a very large (promoted as the “Largest”) DZ on the East Coast, and found that so much of the activity of Skydiving was centered on drawing the attention of others to “the skydivER”, rather than sharing the experience of “SkyDivING” to others as a life-affirming activity.

Probably not too many wanting to share with you if you carry that attitude at the DZ.

Baby, you're already there. :|

There is a Question I, as a neophyte, think every Skydiver should ask him/herself:

Yes. Absolutely.

How self-centered *you* are has little to do with whether or not you're a skydiver. But since you view all skydivers as self-centered clowns, you should fit in quite well. :|

That said.... When I first started skydiving, I wanted EVERYONE to know that I'm a skydiver. And I mean EVERYONE, from my friends to my family to the barista at the coffee shop to anyone I met at a party. I'd wear my skydiving tshirts and hope for questions or read Parachutist in the coffee shop or on the bus, and hope someone would notice.

In the year-plus I've been in the sport, it's become a very personal thing. The skydiving community is an important part of my life but it is not the be-all, end-all (despite what my postwhore numbers might indicate:S).

Depending on my mood, I'm likely to avoid a conversation about skydiving with someone who doesn't know me, mostly because I don't always want to "get into it." Being a skydiver is one of many facets of my personality. I am more inclined to let the topic come out naturally rather than allow it to be the thing by which I am defined immediately.

Oh, and my jumpsuit is navy blue with silver (gray, really) grippers. Not exactly a clown suit. But that matches my personality in general; I'm not a wallflower (anyone who's met me can attest to the fact that "shy" and "reserved" are not words to describe me), but I don't use my clothes/outward appearance to draw attention to myself.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Gee, skydiving is such a drab, boring, ho-hum activity, I think we should all dress accordingly. I'm thinking grey flannel for my next suit, with maybe a button down collar.

:P

Perfect for you, John. I'm sure Valinda could whip you up something with all her sewing talents! Wonder how flannel would affect your fall rate? ;)

Hi NWflyer. This weather sux this weekend, eh?

Yeah, I'm still waiting for my ark.:D

Gee, skydiving is such a drab, boring, ho-hum activity, I think we should all dress accordingly. I'm thinking grey flannel for my next suit, with maybe a button down collar.

:P

Hi NWflyer. This weather sux this weekend, eh?

good call, i'm thinking along the lines of a nice tweed jacket and plus fours.... finished off with either a nice trilby, or a bowler hat

This post made me think...

I have a buddy, fairly new to the sport...
"SD Slider" on this site.

I've known the guy for 10-15 years in all,
friends from around town and drinking buddies
at the bar...
and he didn't even KNOW that I was a jumper
until this year...when HE started jumping!

Maybe it's just me...
or 'Us' there John, but I think there are as
many in the 'Silent Society of Skydivers'
as there are in the 'I'm a clown wanna be crowd'.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Think about, At this point,
A Tweed Jumpsuit WOULD be the Utlimate
Attention getter...

i'm on to it ;)

i'm going to jump with a red rose that squirts water, next time.... and wear 4 foot long shoes. When i pull up in my car, both front wings will fall off and my seat will raise 5 foot in the air :)

Its about having fun. We conform all week long into the little "box" everyone gets shoved into. On the weekend or when we get a chance to skydive, we are able to let our hair down abit and break out of the mold.
Light hearted, "airy", no so serious:S. Would the fourth of July be the same if all the fire works were white? No, thats why we enjoy them more because we get to see every color in the rainbow. It just makes things more interesting.

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.