hackish

What does "Aerospace Grade" really mean?

I know from rigging that hardware should be stamped with it's MS or PIA numbers to identify it properly. Traceability was also included in the hardware and material requirements.

Doing multiple searches for what the term "aerospace grade" really means I found many industries promoting everything from car parts to wedding rings as being aerospace grade aluminum or titanium.

Does anyone have a formal definition for "aerospace grade"? I presume it includes material traceability as well as testing and the like but salespeople toss the term around like sugar.

I was particularly offended when I was told that a camera bag I was constructed only from aerospace grade materials. It looked to me like some cheap chinese nylon tape and flimsy plastic hardware but I decided to keep my comments to myself.

-Michael

> as being aerospace grade aluminum or titanium.

Generally it's just a marketing term, like "commercial grade" or something.

Some terms have specific meaning, like aluminum alloys/tempers. 6061, 7075 and 2024 aluminum are all used pretty widely in aerospace. I use 6061-T6 a lot for prototypes.

There are also specific meanings for things like temperature ratings. Commercial 0 to +70C, industrial -40 to +85C, military -55 to +125C.

Some terms have specific meaning, like aluminum alloys/tempers. 6061, 7075 and 2024 aluminum are all used pretty widely in aerospace. I use 6061-T6 a lot for prototypes.

There are also specific meanings for things like temperature ratings. Commercial 0 to +70C, industrial -40 to +85C, military -55 to +125C.

correct it's just a term used for alloys/grades also used in aerospace design. It does not guarentee that the alloy is stronger.
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habid.
Also in case you jump a sport rig!!!

"Aerospace grade" started with a series of United States Air Force, United States Navy, (British) Royal Air Force, Russian Air Force, etc. military specifications (MIL SPEC) for materials (i.e. alloy steel). MIL SPEC define most of the materials used in parachute - and airplane - construction.
In this century, most American MIL SPECs have been administered by the Parachute Industry Association (PIA).
However, the term has deteriorated into a marketing ploy.
Trick question: what is the difference between a marketing manager and a compulsive liar?

Trick question: what is the difference between a marketing manager and a compulsive liar?

I didn't know there was any difference.

I guess the shit-disturber inside of me wanted to find out if there was something like material traceability required for something to be considered "aerospace grade" so I could then ask to see the traceability documents and utterly confuse them.

On an interesting side note I did notice this winter that the safety webbing securing the intake manifold on a nitrous dragster was actually type 7 webbing and stitched properly. Aerospace grade? Perhaps.

-Michael

nothing special about the type 7 they use on those restaints.it should also interest you to know that the cargo chute fabric used in making the crossform drag chutes is factory seconds.these guys are using 40+ year old technology and FREEPACKING it!scarry

correct it's just a term used for alloys/grades also used in aerospace design. It does not guarantee that the alloy is stronger.

No, not necessarily stronger or more 'pure', but traceable to the dirt it was dug from, including all stages of manufacture AND handling...which 'could' relate to it being stronger or more pure...if that makes any sense.

One example is in the shuttle and space station lqd. ox. spheres a company I worked for makes.

They are so careful in the manufacture and handling that the soap in the shithouse is tested for acids in case a machinist or inspector touches one without the specified (also tested) white gloves required by the end customer, the machine cutters are of a certain quality, the plastic it's wrapped it etc.

DURING the manufacturing process...higher standards are also maintained, number of voids and inclusions per inch welding, feeds and speeds with regard to heat and torque applied, up to and including air quality / environmental pollutants of the facility.

'Actual' aerospace quality has as much to do with manufacturing standards as quality of material.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~