crapflinger2000

Chiropractors?

Hey all, long time no read...

I have had a lot of chronic neck pain for the past few years tracing back to a whiplash injury. I kinda negelected it, and while I can still function at pretty much 100%, I know that in 10 years that will prolly NOT be the case... I had seen a neurosurgeon 2 years back who recommended physical therapy, which I never did (because I am an asshole).

This past week, I just started seeing a chiropractor. I seem to feel better afterwards, but I hear so much negative about the field in general...

I figure if there is any forum where you can reach a lot of people with first hand chiropractor experience, it's this one. Anyone out there have any experience, positive or negative??

Thanks

I have only been to a chiropractor for one problem and it really helped me a lot. The MD that I was seeing was just giving me muscle relaxers that were not helping at all. After one adjustment from the Chiropractor I immediately felt 80 percent better. The Chiropractor was able to show me on an xray what the problem was and what she had to do to fix it. I would have no problem going to a Chiropractor.

I am so glad you started this thread because I am going to a chiropractor for the first time tomorrow. I dated a physical therapist who viewed chiropractors as "temporary fixes to permanent problems", but right now, I could stand a little relief even if it is for a short period of time. I've been having back problems since I first started skydiving back in 2002 and since my little incident this past weekend, my neck and back are really killing me. I sit with this heating pad all day at work. I drive with my heated seats on and when I am at home, I am popping hydrocodone like it's candy. So, yeah, it's time to do something.

I had a chiropractor help me with some chronic pain that no one else was able to help with. I spent three years in a lot of pain (to the point where it was interfering with my ability to function), going to many different doctors before I finally went to this highly recommended chiropractor. So I personally don't care what anyone else has to say about the field; it definitely helped me. I do still have some chronic pain, but at least it is now at a manageable level. (It generally only hurts now when I have not been taking very good care of myself.)

But, like anything else, I think it all depends on who you go to.

I used to work in a chiropractic office and the wonders they can do for people. Two years I got into a pretty bad car accident and got in that day to see my doctor. Over the course of two months he managed to fix my back pain and get everything back in order. I recommend chiropractors to everyone. FYI, they are not addictive like everyone says they are, you just have to use common sense when going.

Ginny
The words I have to say, May well be simple but they're true, Until you give your love, There's nothing more that we can do-David Bowie

I've gone to one occasionally for neck and shoulder problems, and it's worked wonders. I've mainly had minor adjustments and electrostimulation, which seems to be the best thing for me for the muscle and soft tissue injuries.

And you're right, treat it NOW, and you're less likely to have problems as you get older...something I'm definitely becoming an expert in. :)
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

A lot of the bad rap chiropractors get is from the negative comments by the MDs. Unfortunately, even docs don't know what we don't know, and that gets us in trouble sometimes and is bad for our patients.

There's more to life than drugs/surgery. Like the old saying, if you have a hammer, all the world looks like a nail.

I did see a chiro once for a back issue, he looked at the x-rays, and was honest with me. He said my spine is fine, nothing for him to treat, and he referred me to a good PT who fixed the problem.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Chirop. are great for minor pains and small adjustments. Don't go to one and expect to have severe medical issues resolved. Be aware that major damage can be done by a single bad move(as with real doctors).
Some claim to cure colds, allergies and all types of medical ailments, and to that, I say --QUACK ...QUACK..
I've gone to one to have my neck cracked, it was great and I got what I expected, my neck felt better. It was just kinda strange that the first half of my appointment was spent with chirop. defending his profession.:S
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

I love my chiropractors (two of them). As long as you're not dealing with a serious spinal injury, I think they can be great! They've provided me a lot of relief over the years....

There are some good DOs who have more medical knowledge than chiropractors, if you can find one who does adjustments. If I were choosing a new person for adjustments, I'd probably go that route.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I went to one, and he fixed a nagging, muscular related, back problem.

He didn't however, do anything that far out of the ordinary, nor did he do anything I don't repeat on a regular basis to help keep the pain away.

1) Stretching
2) Cracked specific vertebrae (sp?)
3) Electro-Stim -- which is just about one of the greatest things to happen to bad backs.
4) Massage (note that he used a massager that I later saw for sale at Brookstone).

The things he did helped, and having continued to work on them myself, they also help keep the pain at bay. So it did work and conintues to.

My father, on the other hand, has joint and disc problems that the chiro (as well as traditional doctors) have been working on for 15 years. He goes to get adjusted 4-6 times a week and can't go more than a few days without. He says it is working, and modern medicine offers nothing at this point so he keeps going. It does to me seem like a bandaid for a larger problem.
-
-
"Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical."

There are some good DOs who have more medical knowledge than chiropractors, if you can find one who does adjustments.

Thanks, Linz, for the mention. Seeking out a Do physician for management of musculoskeletal dysfunction is a great idea. I've seen one for hip pain from running and non-surgical management of an ACL tear. In working with a family physician last month, we used manipulations to treat chronic pain. It's not always a permanent fix, but it can be depending on the source of pain. We can do the spinal cracking of chiro fame and soft tissue/muscle energy techniques common among physical therapists while managing your medical problems. It's worth looking into. In fact, many DO's have worked out billing through insurance and know how to code the therapy so it doesn't all come out your pocket.

Here's a way to see if there are any in your area:

Find a D.O.

My only other recommendation is to be aware of the limitations of chiropractors. For example, I'm working in pediatrics right now and just saw a young girl who was the restrained driver of a motor vehicle accident a month ago. She came in complaining of jaw and neck pain. Her chiro has been treating her for whiplash injury and stated that she likely has TMJ problems. He sent her to us so we could order an MRI for her. When I examined her, the TMJ issue wasn't apparent as there weren't any signs of it, but her raging ear infection sure seemed to have a lot to do with the pain. That is their limitation, so you may see a chiro, but also have to see a MD/DO.
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

I can only say Arthritis, they are able to make adjustments to help you but only with bony damage. When bone rubs on bone, injury to the bony cortex occurs and increases calcification and hence the beginning stages of arthritis. After your adjustments you need to strengthen your back & neck muscles to help maintain that correct posture. Once your muscles are trained you can stop going to see your chiropractor. That part they do not tell you.

Hangman

I got horrible whiplash from a hard opening a few years ago and had the same kind of chronic neck pain as a result. After living with it for quite some time I finally broke down and went to a chiropractor. I felt better almost immediately. I had to go back twice a week for a few months until my muscles rebuilt the right way and were able to keep things relatively alligned. I haven't been since and I'm fine. I would go back again in an instant if ever needed. Keep going... it will work.

Had great results from my chiropractor. The curve in my neck was actually reversed from a drunken trampoline accident, and I didn't do anything about it for years. It was so bad the only movement in the vertibrate in my neck was in one spot. Got a ton of mobility back and very infrequent pain now.

Flying Hellfish #31
"I'm not allowed to talk about it till after the trial"
www.SkydiveTecumseh.com

Thanks all... I was wondering if I was gonna get a buncha "they are all quacks" responses but not one thus far...

Sounds like it's kinda like I thought: Good for some, maybe not for all, use in moderation if you are comfortable with it.

They aren't all quacks but there are a bunch that operate auto accident mills where you are herded from room to room and billed out the wazoo.
Avoid like the plague!! The better ones seem to be those that do limited "Have you been hurt in an accident?" type advertising.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

There are some great ones that do pretty "dramatic" cracking, but do it well and very safely, and there are some great ones that just use very small manipulations. The nice thing is that both methods are effective, it just depends on what you like.

I like the blatant cracks personally, I've been helped with several neck/spine problems over my life.

|>.<|
Seriously, W.T.F. mate?

The bad rap I think chiro's get is because people usually go to them after they have gone to everyone else and they are expecting that quick fix. Fixing bones requires baby steps especially if it's severe, you can't make huge adjustments. If you have severe problems you might need to go a few times a week for 6 months or more and that's when you will realize the good that they can do. If your over 20 and have bad posture don't expect one visit to fix everything.