jdfreefly

Is it a fatality if..?

That show did rock. There were a couple of different versions, there was one where it was a car and the other where it was a canoe. I don't remember which one was which, though.
I always remember the episode where they were going to get back home, and the way to do it was through a pool that was in the lair of the hibernating bad creatures...those guys freaked me out.
:-)
Steve

climbers got stuck on the side of a mountain and a storm came along and killed them. Was it a climbing accident?

This is a climbing accident because they were in the process of climbing during the wind, just like if the wind throws a jumper and conopy to the ground.

Is it a hunting accident if you're sitting around camp at night cleaning your gun and shoot yourself?

No, because you are not in the act of hunting when the gun goes off.

If someone lands in a lake and drowns, is it a skydiving accident?

When I think about this one a little more I think you are right about this not being such a stupid question. It is one thing if you are wrapped in your canopy and your rig pulls you under, but what if you land out in the ocean and completely free yourself from your parachute but you are not found by rescuers and eventually drown at sea... I don't think that would be a skydiving incident, but I guess it makes sense that this issue is not black and white. Same holds true for wind (dust devils) picking up canopies that have already safely landed and dropping them back to the ground.
jhus..

**Any opinions?**
when you ask for this, and then you get it, you must know in advance that your most likely going to get exactly what you asked for, so different perspectives should not be a problem....right? could it have been phrased differently? of course, there's a bunch of should've could've woulda's in this world. having said all of that...in the UNLIKELY event someone is silly enough to do as you said in the original posts, i guess you could say you get what you asked for? in any event, be careful, be safe! :)Richard
"Gravity Is My Friend"

I'm with Richard if you ask for opinions, expect them and respect them. Everyone is entitled to them, and valid opinions only come from free and open debate such as this forum. And hey, we are allowed to change our opinions as a result of such debate.
My opinion......
I don't care how an accident is classified, the long and short of it is another of our wee family gets hurt, and that in turn hurts me, and like minded folks here.
So whether you are driving to the DZ, actually engaged in jumping, walking back from a long spot, or goofing around after the beer light is on, please, please, please, be careful out there.....
Cya
D
GR# 37
Remember how lucky you are to see and touch the sky; the blind may only dream.

Yes, by my definition above, these all would be skydiving related. The would not, though, be skydiving fatalities necessarily.
The insulin one would depend...did the person die from insulin shock, or were they rendered unconscious and killed on impact?
The others, yes, I would say are skydiving fatalities. In a true description of how they died, I don't think there is a way to not mention skydiving. If someone dies of a heart attack in freefall, I would say that he/she was killed by a heart attack that they could have had going to the bathroom the next morning.
So, taking the insulin shock person...
If the shock killed them, the cause of death was insulin shock.
If they were rendered unconscious and didn't pull, the cause of death was impact (a skydiving fatality)
If they were rendered unconscious, their cypres fired, they landed in the water and drowned, the death was a result of the landing, which would make it a skydiving fatality.
There are too many variables to mention them all...I think, though, that it's a place to start.
Steve

Yo, D:
did you see the hooters on that girl in that commercial the other day? BOOBIES! :)
everyone, be careful, and be safe on this upcoming jump weekend! "check all three of your handles, before exit!" :)Richard
"Gravity Is My Friend"

>Is it a skydiving fatality if I die from getting hit by lightning because I was packing
>my rig in a thunderstorm due to a bad spot?
My opinion on this... The whole point of fatality reports is that the rest of us can read them, learn from them, and not make the same mistakes as the one(s) who ended up dead.
If there is something to be learned from what happened, the incident should be classified as a skydiving fatality.
Someone died from getting hit by lightning because he was packing his rig in a thunderstorm due to a bad spot? --> Lesson learned: Don't jump into a thunderstorm. If you did anyway, don't pack on an open field...
Someone drowned after landing in a lake because rescuers didn't get there in time --> Lessons learned: Spot carefully. Maybe improve DZ's capability in rescuing people in lakes?
Someone died of insuline-shock in freefall/under canopy/on impact because of unconsciousness --> Lesson learned : Extra care is needed regarding skydivers with medical conditions.
Bottom line: all are skydiving fatalities. IMHO.
Erno