sovietskee

Dome slider for hard openning canopy???

I have not been able to find any first hand accounts of people's experience with using domed sliders for hard openning canopies. Anyone care to share? I'm considereing what mods to look into if I can't tame my sabre with packing tricks. Thanks.

I've heard that the best mod for reducing the hard openings of a Sabre is to work with PD to add the number '2' to the name plate.;)

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

From the link...

(Discussion about why different size canopies have the same slider size is a lengthy topic in itself.)

Is there a place to read about this topic?

Not that I know of. One would think that a canopy manufacturer would not want to stock many sizes of sliders, so they could very well make only one size per canopy model, and adjust the canopy opening characteristics with the brake settings.

This is only an assumption, but it is what I would do if I were them.

As a thought to the bigger slider....the bigger size (distance between grommets) could present another issue of opening too much of the canopy to the relative wind causing the same problem.

I have a domed slider (granted on a different canopy) and the difference it made was HUGE!....huge as in good huge.
my pics & stuff!

I have a domed slider on my Katana 170 but I was surprised when I saw 2 bands of 2 inches wide of thick mesh on each side of my slider. I was told at PD that only the big Katana (150-170) have that feature. My Katana opens on average of 600 feet (based on 10 jumps recorded by the Vigil II) which is very very soft.

On the other hand with a SABRE in case of hard opening:

1) take (as recommanded by PD) 4 cell noses each side and roll them thight inward (toward the middle) and crease them like you would do with a newspaper. Leave the center cell nose in the middle. Just put the left and the right precedent rolls in the middle gently (never inside the center cell nose)

2) when packing make sure the slider is well against its stoppers (Slider grommets against the stoppers at the base of the stabilizers, there is 4 of them)

3) after you have "S" folded the reduced width canopy and put it in the deployment bag, just milk the the last 4 inches of lines upward to make sure the slider is still against the stoppers. PD warns that if the slider moves by a inch down, you would probably remember that opening for a long time.

4) make sure you have the proper size for rubber bands, they have to be tight to avoid any line dump. Make the stow the proper length too. Not too short not too long.

5) After your pilot chute launch, resume your box position and look at the horizon during deployment.
Try that and tell us if there is any change for your opening. I am not inventing anything here, most of the items come from the PD sheet about he factors affecting the openings.

(Hi Gary, what about Don K. and Rantoul) Andre
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

My lotus has a pocketed slider and it is VERY snively. Openings are usually around 700-800 feet. I've always heard that the lotus is known to open briskly. You can definitely look into having your rigger attach pockets to your stock slider.
Less talking, more flying.