jhalestorm

newbie rig questions

Caution--- Caution – Newbie posting – maybe filled with illogical questions

Ok well three weeks ago I was on vacation and decided to do my AFF1 course after my first jump I canceled all plans for the rest of the week and completed up to my Solo jumps(5 more for A license).

Here’s the question so far my canopy has been a 280 and from what I understand over time when I get better at canopy control I will want a smaller canopy. Here’s my dilemma in a couple of weeks I’m going on what I would call a skydiving frenzy I plan on jumping 75-100 jumps (2 Month vacation) and I am interested in purchasing a used rig . Where do I start ? Am I sort of in a holding pattern till I know what I like ? is my size a problem? (6’1” 225 lbs)

any help is greatly appreciated

I am 6'1" and 215-220 lbs.

My progression was AFF1-AFF3 Navigator 280. AFF4-AFF7 Navigator 260. I then jumped a Navigator 260 until my 34th jump. After that I moved to a Silhouette 230 for a few jumps until I bought my rig with a Spectre 230. I jumped that from #38 to #124 and it was a great first canopy for me.

The way I made sure I was making good, safe decisions when renting gear and buying gear was asking each one of the instructors at the DZ their opinion and using that information to decide.

Hope this helps.
Blues,
-R
There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Pick a nice day, and try it. - Douglas Adams

I'm 6'3" and 225 lbs, also returned to the sport five years ago after a very long break.

I agree first, formeost, and completely with the advice to talk to your instructors. they're the ones who are watching you and know what you're doing and what you need.

For a beginner, stick with Navigators, Silhouettes, and Spectres for now. They're all great canopies that can give you good landings. I'm personally prejudiced in favor of the Spectre, as the 230 and later the 210 sizes were the demos I usually rented until I bought my own rig. They're great, even in no wind.

Big guys like us are harder to fit than most average size jumpers, so used gear is harder to come by. But I managed to find a beauty of a used rig that another big guy was selling, but it took a little time and patience to find it.

The whole thing about used gear is to AVOID the desperate urge to buy the first rig that comes along. You NEED a harness that will fit you comfortably. You NEED a reserve canopy that's big enough to set you down safely. And don't let anyone tell you otherwise on those two items. You also should get a rig that's big enough to hold an appropriate sized main canopy for your ability (remember, you're talking to your instructors about that). Ideally, your rig will also safely hold a main canopy one size smaller, so in a year or two you can downsize your main without having to replace your entire rig.

Also, unless you're a confirmed die hard belly flyer, you should hold out for a harness/container system that's "freefly friendly", since a lot of you newbies like to skid around on your butts with your friends. You need a rig that will hold itself together at the higher speeds of vertical freefall.

And NEVER buy anything without a rigger's inspection before any money changes hands.

But mostly be PATIENT. It will do you no good to spend all your money on some "great deal" some guy sells you out of the trunk of his car. There's tons of great used gear out there at reasonable prices. There's a rig out there just waiting for you, all you need to do is wait for it.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Well, so far you don't have many jumps then why you don't use gear rental using 250 then 220 square foot canopies. If you go in a big drop zone like Skydive DeLand or Skydive Chicago for instance, I am pretty sure they have that. It is expensive to rent but you are still on student status anyway then you have to refer to an instructor. Considering your weight and after say, 25-35 jumps or more depending of your proficiency, maybe then you should consider to buy your own rig. What I have in mind is a Vector II or III with a Sabre 210 or better a Sabre-2-210 (Safire 209 is equivalent). Why I am in favor of 9 cells canopies: because they have a more powerful flare. For the reserve, have a PD 193. Is that sound OK?
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.