woodpecker

Skydiving/Scuba Diving

Why are these two activities so tied together? Is it the battle of the elements we desire, the thrills of doing something that the majority of the world fears, or simply we love the gear?

Definately do one before the other -

:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Whuffo you jump out of dem perfectly good boats?:)
Do scuba divers ever get asked that?

--never been asked that particular question. We do get told about peoples fear of sharks ALL the time though--;)

SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

If you run out of air in either sport, you're screwed.

At least with scuba, when you run out of air, you can go back up and get more. :D

I don't think that the sports are related. They are fun in distinct ways.

Actually that is not true. With scuba you have an ascent rate you need to adhear too...otherwise you can end up with the bends, and well...if bad enough die. It isnt as simple as just going back up for air ;)
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Why are these two activities so tied together? Is it the battle of the elements we desire, the thrills of doing something that the majority of the world fears, or simply we love the gear?

They are both very calming to me. One just moved a little faster then the other. In both, you use the medium around you to move your body, and they are also potentially fatal if you don't know what you are doing or don't pay attention. Thats is what makes them both so thrilling. :)
F LORIDA!

yeah, in freshwater you are less boyant. you still can just fill your BC with air to float. and if your ever stranded, dump your tank and weights, then fill your BC with the oral inflator.

when you dive, before you descend, you should check if you are nuetral in your boayancey. if you sink when you deflat your BC, you are weighted too heavy. you should only sink when you give a big exhale breath.

I mean in just a wetsuit, I sank even with a full breath. I have to work my ass off to tread water. When I was diving, I had to keep some air in my BC to stay neutral. This was at the NBL in Houston.

Derek

I hear this problem a lot! RELAX!!! Treading water is to conserve energy not to expend it.

Try floating on your back and you might get the idea. If you are in a wet suit and nothing else you should float with little problems unless you have bones made of lead.:P
Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

hooknswoop, you probably have a very low fat content in your body, and are very dense,...um that is in body mass/volume. my dive buddie is the same, she really can only float by relaxing on her back, that is with no wet suit. you will just have to use your BC.

NBL ?

NBL ?

NBL- Neutral Buoyancy Lab, it's part of NASA.

Derek was a diver for them, they train the astronauts in that gigantic pool that simulates weightlessness, if I remember correctly.
"Dancing Argentine Tango is like doing calculus with your feet."
-9 toes

I hear this problem a lot! RELAX!!! Treading water is to conserve energy not to expend it.

Try floating on your back and you might get the idea. If you are in a wet suit and nothing else you should float with little problems unless you have bones made of lead.

LOL- relaxing and taking a deep breath is how I get to the bottom:D. If I stop working hard to tread water, I sink. It's my fat head:$.

Derek

Why are these two activities so tied together?

I kind of got into Scuba due to Skydiving while I was at the Keys Boogie last year, did some snorkeling there for the first time and was instantly hooked.

I am going through the same phase right now which I went through first when I started skydiving, gear, training, watching anything that remotely mentions the sport and spending considerable time checking out related website regularly.

Now my main interest is in the technical side of scuba, i.e. deep ship wrecks and under water caves.

I think both the sports are awesome but the only downside is choosing between then when it comes to limited time and money.

Blue Skies & Cool dives!

G.

Why are these two activities so tied together? Is it the battle of the elements we desire, the thrills of doing something that the majority of the world fears

For me, they are both very relaxing, but in different ways. Scuba, for me, is almost like an amazing meditation in a gorgeous, mostly undiscovered world. Skydiving is relaxing in another way---one of the few things I do when I'm 100% in the moment and thinking of nothing else but enjoying the flight:P

Neither are a fear in the least for me. My fears are much more intangible. :)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Boys with toys getting to feel cool.

Hey, girls get to feel cool too! :P

I learned to skydive and scuba dive at the same time, and I recall being struck by the similarities... some of these have already been pointed out ...

...gear intensive
...heavy gear you wear on your back
...intense focus on drilling/training emergency procedures
...expensive and addictive!

I haven't made it out to scuba dive in over a year now (got Open Water here in Seattle, did Advanced Open Water in New Zealand... and haven't gone since), but as much as I like it, I really can't afford to gear up for two expensive sports. If I wanted to dive seriously up here, I'd need a dry suit, and I'm just not going there. So, scuba for me will remain something fun I will do on the occasional vacation with rental gear, probably with lots of help/supervision as I won't stay that current on it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke