dumstuntzz

GQ Security

i understand there was a directive from GQ security years and years ago that basically said all their products 20 years and older were to be taken out of service,or something to that effect. can someone post it for me . no its not anything to do with the acid mesh debacle.

Actually, it required factory inspection at 10 years to gain another five years of service life. Total was 15. I have this at home in a manual for the UK version of the product and company. I choose personally to apply it to the U.S. equipment. I have never seen a similar statement in a U.S. manual but the company may have exited the U.S. before they imposed the limit. This is from a 2000 manual. Some riggers apply this limit, some choose not to, and many don't know about it.

Actually, it was on the jump drive in my pocket.B|

Here is the cover title from the first page and the statement on service life. Indenting was lost in the copy and paste.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Another thread where I added some ideas:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2866920;search_string=GQ%20security;#2866920

Plenty of interpretations possible as to whether the service lives are mandatory or just suggested, and whether new instructions apply to old products, and whether current company policies are different than old company policies.

Remember that GQ Security shut down their American factory in 1984 - 24 years ago.
So most of that gear is no longer fashionable.
Also remember that their last fashionable round reserve was the Security Aeroconical (SAC).
SACs were mentioned in the acid mesh recalls.
Even if a SAC did not contain acidic mesh, by the time it has been tested with bromocreasol and tensile tested 48 times on the Canadian schedule (or 72 times on the American schedule), the fabric will be "tired," ... er ... less that 40 pounds.

Ignore the regulations and just retire that antique.

This is from Instruction Manual #716 dated Dec. 2000. That was 18 years ago.

MAINTENANCE NOTES

2 The following Maintenance Notes are to be observed:

2.1 The life of the assembly is 15 years from date of manufacture subject to a critical inspection at 10 years.

2.2 The recommended re-packing cycle for this assembly is 120 days (four months)

Since this was printed in one of their manuals, I wouldn’t touch any of their rigs/canopies are over 15 years old. jmo Take it for what it's worth.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I received that following from Airborne systems when trying to find a packing manual for a GQ security 150.

Hi Tim,

The companies lifing policy on emergency escape parachutes is 15 years on condition, the GQ150 was superseded many years ago by the 350 then the 650 Silhouette assemblies. The GQ150 was pre computer generation and as they are life expired and superseded we don’t have the packing manual anymore.

I understand the rules on lifing are different in the states and that it is the riggers responsibility to repack on condition, but that would not be supported by the company in the event of an accident.

Airborne Systems Ltd.

I received that following from Airborne systems when trying to find a packing manual for a GQ security 150.

but that would not be supported by the company in the event of an accident.

Great find. That should settle the question on packing any GQ Security product.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Since this was printed in one of their manuals, I wouldn’t touch any of their rigs/canopies are over 15 years old. jmo Take it for what it's worth.

I've known a lot of riggers that have some absolutely creative ways to read the few simple sentences in the manual. It's amazing the mental gymnastics folks will use to justify repacking something like that.

On a side note, I have two Securities in my Closet. A 150 and 160. Packing practice. Personally, I think they are a pain in the rear with that stoopid spring, 1.25" loop thing, and whatever the hell else they have. :P
=========Shaun ==========