martwald

Why not elliptical?

No flaming, this is a genuine question to which I am sure I will get some angry responses but please hold back I don't give a damn for skygods who want to show how knowledgable they are.

I am getting back into the sport and I am buying a new canopy to replace the Springo I sold a few years ago when I got out of the sport.

Due to the fact that the PDF have fallen to pieces in the last while I am looking at PD and Icarus canopies.

I automatically dismiss any non elliptical canopies in my search. I just can't see the point why any half decent canopy pilot would opt for anything other than a true elliptical canopy?

Could someone please give their view as to why one might opt for a traditional 9 cell, other than very conservative pilots and crw dogs?

I am sure I am wrong not to consider canopies such as the Sabre 2 but need convincing. Of course trying one out is an obvious choice but ignore that ;-)

i know, the rule is 'don't feed the trolls', but on the off chance this is a legit post, here goes.

you're asking for advice on canopy selection while giving no information on who you are, where you are, when you last jumped or how many jumps you have. if you want serious answers, you'll have to give people something to work with. you give yourself some good advice (Of course trying one out is an obvious choice) but follow it up with 'but ignore that'.

if you're going to ignore your own seemingly sound advice, why would anyone else want to help you out? [unsure]

"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Highly elliptical canopies like the Stiletto come with some added things that newer designs don't always deal with anymore. The Stiletto is a bit more sensitive on opening then some of the more modern designs, this sensitivity can lead to line twists and off heading openings.

You are going to find that the Stiletto and similar canopies are still around but its becoming less popular with the newer jumpers since the Sabre2 is a better all around canopy. The Sabre2 is semi-elliptical and takes advantage of a lot of improvements to parachute design since the original Sabre. When the Sabre2 is loaded up it performs as well as needed for the vast majority of the jumpers. The Sabre2 can swoop as evidenced by it placing in one of the major swoop meets last year but at the same time at a lighter loading it is suitible for intermediate jumpers.

The Sabre2 is also a great transition platform for jumpers wanting to move to higher performance canopies like the Katana or the Velocity at some point since it has longer recovery arcs and it allows the jumper to develop the correct methods for high performance flight. The Stiletto trains people to turn too low if they are wanting to move to a Velocity or Katana since it was designed with a quick recovery arc since that was what was in style when it was new.

I enjoyed my jumps a lot on the Sabre2 I jumped and if I was jumping any less then I am I would get a Sabre2 or similar canopy just to avoid the issues that come with ellipticals.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Could someone please give their view as to why one might opt for a traditional 9 cell, other than very conservative pilots and crw dogs?

in my view, if i came back after a few years, i'd rather get my skills back up to par on a traditional canopy than going straight to an elliptical and possibly getting injured going too fast too soon and ending up on an injury induced lay off.

diamonds are a dawgs best friend

>I automatically dismiss any non elliptical canopies in my search. I just
>can't see the point why any half decent canopy pilot would opt for anything
>other than a true elliptical canopy?

Some of the best pilots out there (CRW, accuracy, demo) jump squares.

There is a wide variety of canopies out there to choose from. From the little you've told us so far, sounds like a larger less-aggressive canopy might be a good choice, like a Pilot or a Spectre. They are still elliptical.

Or, if you want to have "the cool new canopy" get a larger Storm. They're new, everyone is talking about them, and they're similar to the Spectre in performance.

i didn't give you any sort of answer or advice, i pointed out that if you provided more information you might get better advice.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001