JeepDiver

I finally decided to downsize

In all seriousness i dont give a fuck what people fly
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////

There you go JeepDiver you got the on answer you wanted. But understand you got your advise from a guy with 169 jumps @ 1.48 wing loading. [:/] Your down size isnt looking bad after all :S.

Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

You looked like a homo under that 210 anyway.

That's constructive. And rather instructive as well - it's these type of comments that encourage people to do stupid shit.

Like downsizing 80-odd sq feet and changing planforms at the same time.

But at least he won't look like a homo when shit happens and he reacts just like he did under that 210. He might be bloody, but he won't look like a homo.

Oh yeah, and before you say it was a joke and I should chill out... this ain't the fucking bonfire.

OK im going to be mature here. (HA)

Skydiving is about gettig rid of the health and safety tape. Its about going out and having fun. Injury/Death is not what we want, but with that said....

I dont know Thomas well but he is a man and his choices are his. If the DZO doesnt like it he doesnt allow it, simple. Its his playground after all.

All im saying is he has saw the replies, he's going to make a choice.

I hope the guy does alright and would wish injury on anyone.

And my advice was not to jump it. I just said i dont give a fuck what he jumps.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Used to be useful?

Yea it is useful for folks who have their own mind and dont just eat up the shit everyone writes with 169 jumps. As far as im concerned if he downsizes to a velo 90 next on my comments its darwin in action.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

>I hope the guy does alright and would wish injury on anyone.

Do you mean "wouldn't?"

I used to think the same way. Then I noticed that some people were destined to get hurt, and that it would either be something fairly serious, like a broken femur, compound lower leg, pelvis etc or a fatality. A broken wrist, twisted ankle etc would not be sufficient impetus to learn.

So nowadays I hope they break their femur. Not because I hope they get hurt, but because all too often the choice is a rod in their leg or a coroner's exam. I know a few people who broke their femurs, and I am very glad it was that and not the alternative.

(However, in this case, I am fairly sure Jeepdiver is pulling our leg, so I'm not too worried about it.)

You can use it to wrap your huge penis up and have a posh wank.

In all seriousness i dont give a fuck what people fly, adults makes decisions, adults choose to listen to advice or not. Have fun and hope you dont get hurt under it.

Spoken like someone who hasn't held the hand of a dying or severely injured friend or fellow jumper in the landing area yet.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I am listening. It's all good advice, all of it. I'm thankful for the critical comments, it shows concern and I am concerned myself. I am not over looking anything, except the "don't do it at all" What I was looking for is how to do it safely. What to be aware of....etc... and I've received that, I've also received that here on the ground. I may buy the Crossfire 2 139.

btw... I just jumped it again. Ground winds were 16mph, gusts 22mph. I opened at 8k. I may not have jumped it if there were no winds. I am used to winds in the 15 to 25 range were I jump.

What I discovered is that toggle turns are fearsome. Do not do a toggle turn adjustment low, a front riser adjustment is slightly better, both of those are not to be used low to the ground. I corrected my 90 into a crosswind with slight left rear riser input.

I've read everything everyone wrote, I've listened and not listened. I don't want to debate point by point what has been said but I do see what everyone is concerned about.

I've been manhandling the 210, I was manhandling the 170. They honestly didn't seem much different. I have been flying the 210 using double fronts everywhere. I outgrew that canopy 200 jumps ago. The 170 I was using double fronts, or a single front for my 180 front riser turn to land.

btw, the Crossfire 2 129 is also one heck of a nice canopy. It is high performance I do feel I can handle safely.

If possible, and those of you were here on the ground with me I would listen to the "if you're going to do it, this is how to do it safely" .... which I have from those who are here on the ground.

I'm getting nervous just reading this thread. You're asking how to make a dangerous downsize safely. In my opinion, for what it's worth, is that you can't do it without choosing an intermediate step. Accidents from people flying perfectly good canopies into the ground is probably the sport's biggest problem right now. You may be a very capable canopy pilot and be able to pull this off with no one around you. But what happens if on your next jump you get cut off in the pattern?
Besides the time away from the sport due to a serious injury (or death) you need to also think about other people. I for one particularly don't like hearing about the person who was killed while flying a square, left hand pattern on a 1:1 canopy because someone misjudged a turn and caused a collision.
Alright, I'm saying more than I intended to. It's your decision to make, as is the decision to snort drano if you want to. I'll not stand in the way of either but in the meantime, check out a couple links just in case you missed Safety Day.

USPA canopy risk quotient:
http://uspa.org/safety/safetyday/RiskQuotient.pdf

USPA 2007 Fatality Summary
http://uspa.org/safety/safetyday/2007USPAWebsiteSafetyDayFatalitySummary.ppt

I sincerely wish you nothing but the best,

>Ground winds were 16mph, gusts 22mph. I opened at 8k. I may not have
>jumped it if there were no winds. I am used to winds in the 15 to 25 range
>were I jump.

Again, excellent choice. It is always best to jump a new canopy when winds are high and gusty; that adds to the excitement factor and prevents boredom, which can be dangerous when under canopy. Not wanting to jump the canopy in zero winds is also a good sign. Canopies that you can land safely in low wind conditions are called "boats" and no one wants to jump a boat.

(same disclaimer as before)

btw... I just jumped it again. Ground winds were 16mph, gusts 22mph. I opened at 8k. I may not have jumped it if there were no winds. I am used to winds in the 15 to 25 range were I jump.

Eventually you're going to land it with a 5+ MPH tail wind.

What I discovered is that toggle turns are fearsome. Do not do a toggle turn adjustment low, a front riser adjustment is slightly better,

You really need to get over the fear of making adjustments at low altitudes. 100', roof top height, or ground level - it shouldn't make a difference. Eventually you _will_ need a course correction which may be significant (90 degrees).

While front riser adjustments keep the canopy over your head they also increase speed which is exactly what you don't need close to the ground. You _really_ want to be making adjustments with both toggles, one to turn and the opposite to keep the canopy at trim speed (or slowing down as you reach flare height). You know you've got it when you release both toggles at the end of the turn and it doesn't speed up.

It is high performance I do feel I can handle safely.

You have none of the experience needed to make that call. Lots of people have discovered the hard way that they didn't.

Spot the good canopy pilot in this short video.

They all thought they were good and safe. Water can save lives.

This one is better!:ohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGperYQxYL8&NR=1

You right, but the music on mine is better ;)

Makes you think about upsizing B|

But still, if anyone wants a hot shot VX99, I am still willing to swop mine for a Spectre 135.

Maybe the OP will give me his Crossfire 129 for the VX. After all the VX flies big. ;)
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

Is this thread really Thomas or did someone hack into his account?
If it is really Thomas, well...*sigh* :S
If you are concerned about jumping the Crossfire on a no wind day, then that isn't a good canopy choice for you.
Furthermore, at our age, bones dont heal as fast as they did 20 yrs ago. I'm just sayin'...*shrug*

BTW..Happy Easter.

Nice to know you keep making light of this thread jeep diver.....honestly I think the damn thread should be deleted........just hope that it doesn't come up again in the "incidents" forum...................:S:S[:/]

till later have fun & love each other seeya mb65johnny gates....
In skydiving, the only thing that stops you is the ground..............
PMS# 472 Muff #3863 TPM#95

I may not have jumped it if there were no winds.

It is high performance I do feel I can handle safely.

Those two statements do not add up. If you are scared to land it in no wind, it is too much canopy for your current experience/ability.

Good luck with that. Hope your bag of luck doesn't run out before your bag of experience fills up.

Just hope you don't have to land downwind...accidently or not...

I watched someone yesterday who decided to try a deliberate downwind landing. There was not much wind anyway and it seemed to be changing direction all the time.
He did manage his final leg downwind but realized he was running out of landing area fast and aiming to go across a busy main road and into trees. :S

He pulled off a perfect flat turn at about 50ft of the ground and managed to avoid the road.

He was also someone who we talked out of downsizing to a crossfire 119 late last year when he had 450 jumps. I think he is now also glad he took our advice.
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

Glad you made one person think about it. The guy in this thread might be hopeless:( He needs to check out general forum i think it is 1.333 @140 jumps the guy spun up his canopy at low altitude, but wait that would never happen to this guy :S

Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!