slotperfect

Opinions Please - Brightest Canopy Color?

I would like some opinions from people like DZOs or school owners who have purchased a particular bright canopy color because it is easy to see. So, what color do you think is the most visible:

-against a blue sky?
-against an overcast sky?
-against a green surface (east Raeford)
-against a desert surface (e.g. Eloy)

I am looking for one color that would work the best in all of those environments.

Thanks in advance . . .
Arrive Safely

John

PD's Orange white and silver canopies really show up well on the Blue skies and green backgrounds. Its a color that only appears in nature for about 2 weeks a year if you live in an area where the leaves change colors so it doesn't get lost in the background like some of the other colors can. Some of the worst is Green, White and in the midwest Black. Black just looks like a shadow from above in the case of a cutaway.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

against a blue sky?

Orange, pink, yellow, red

against an overcast sky?

Same as above, add green.

against a green surface (east Raeford)

Same as #1 add white

-against a desert surface

all of the above but green

With that said, as you know they all can blend in and be hard to see from above in different times of the day and year.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Orange.

My main is solid Orange and I have not had an issue being seen, or seeing when another jumper may use it. (It had been jumped at DZ's in Arizona-Eloy, Ohio- Start and Greene County, Alabama-Skydive Alabama and Opelika, Georgia-Skydive Atlanta, California-Perris, Kentucky-Ft. Campbell and Tennessee-Skydive Paris and Outlaw CKV as part of the FCSPA)

As Eric said the PD canopies is what we use at Startskydiving.com and the students are easy to see all year long.
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Is Orange not also a colour that hunters wear because of the visibility (i know deers cant see it as well) but also, they use it for road cones, road works, trucking vests etc.

So, maybe studies have been done that show the eye is most responsive to neon orange?

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I´m thinking a pattern might work better in some cases, I know a canopy with alternating black and yellow cells that´s a signal pattern for sure. My own vengeance is magenta-yellow alternating, can´t get more visible than that, and that´s a good thing :)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Check my profile picture for my canopy coloring. I chose a mix of darks and brights (and neon yellow is VERY visible in most all conditions).
I designed my canopy for a DZ sitting in a forest and having overcast skies a lot of the time, not for beauty, after all it's only out for few minutes and serves two purposes: Lift me and make itself seen (for me in case of cutaway and to other jumpers when I'm under it).

Generally I'd say desert, overcast sky and blue sky recommend the use of a dark tone for contrast and green backdrop a light color. A combination is the only real way in my book. Contrast is what makes you visible.

I just checked a video of another guy who was jumping way ahead of me in sequence and could instantly tell my canopy apart from others and background from a large distance. :)
Try a squint test. Squint your eyes so you only see blurry anymore. If you can still see the pattern easily, it should work well on the tested background.

The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Mine is very bright, by design.

Using the PD color designations - White, Tangerine, Lemon - and then I made all the ribs white as well to brighten it up even more. These are all bright, but also the orange and yellow contrast each other quite well too.

No pics here at work to attach.

Decided that matching the gear to the canopy wasn't such a big deal (you can't see the canopy when it's packed) and having a very bright canopy was nice to be able to see, and also find in the event of a cutaway.

It look good. I think it wins out in all the conditions you listed

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Is Orange not also a colour that hunters wear because of the visibility (i know deers cant see it as well) but also, they use it for road cones, road works, trucking vests etc.

So, maybe studies have been done that show the eye is most responsive to neon orange?

Actually, the eye is most sensitive to green; it's about the wavelength that most of the color receptors in our eyes respond best. The reason orange is worn/used for hazards and "don't shoot me" is that it's high-contrast against practically anything you can put it on outside.
Well, the door was open...

I can tell you what color NOT to use for a CRW canopy. Green of course. If you get in a wrap over the woods and cut away, chances are you'll never see it again. It's happened in the past.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Actually, the eye is most sensitive to green; it's about the wavelength that most of the color receptors in our eyes respond best. The reason orange is worn/used for hazards and "don't shoot me" is that it's high-contrast against practically anything you can put it on outside.

This is a fact, however, more specifically it's a very light/neon green, like a lot of the newer school/pedestrian signs and fire trucks.

Hard to argue with construction orange... prettymuch visible in all conditions. It's fugly, but does the job;)

The bright yellow canopies that Airspeed flies are pretty visible even at Eloy and would certainly be visible in all other conditions.

Turquoise/neon blue is bright against everything but the sky, but if you mixed it with something that stands out against the sky it'd be very visible.

"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."