bjornufknu

canopy wear behind window

Glass filters out some UV, but not all.

Poynter Volume 1, 9.3.8.15 has information about UV damage, including this table:

Percent breaking strength in pounds lost for Tybe 1 Fabric exposed to the summer sun. First column is without glass, second column is with glass.

1 week 52% 40%
2 weeks 71% 61%
3 weeks 94% 85%
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

Are there any articles/research about canopy wear in sunlight behind window glass? Or does the window filter all the UV light?

Ever seen the dashboard or rear seat of an older car? Yes, it will damage a canopy even through glass, but it will fade alot before the material breaks down. Sunlight isn't good for any material.
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I'm guessing that Dan's fabric was left in full sun exposure in a place like Eloy. I wonder about fabric left in the light but not in direct sunlight in a place more like Seattle.

Don't know about Dan's stats, but during a conversation with a fabric manufacturer he said that the (fabric) industry standard light exposure measurement is the lumins that is approx the same as noon-day on the summer solstace in the Arizona desert on a clear day.

Made sense at the time, since they would need to have SOME standard by which to test...

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

ok, forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question, but if your canopy is packed and the rig is in a gearbag stowed in the backseat or your car........is it still subject to UV damage?

No. UV will not penetrate very far through fabric, certainly not through a gear bag. Same reason you don't get a sunburn through clothing.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

ok, forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question, but if your canopy is packed and the rig is in a gearbag stowed in the backseat or your car........is it still subject to UV damage?

More likely subject to theft damage. Take it into the house with you.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239