woodpecker

packing question

This question just popped into my head. I'll do my best to explain without the aid of pictures.

Canopy already in D-bag and lines are stowed.

At this stage we put the D-bag in the tray, lines towards the ground and then roll the bag foward (this places the lines at the bottom of the tray and bridle at the top).

My question is why do we do this? Why not keep the lines towards the ground placing the bridle looking up at you when your closing the tray. This would extract the D-bag when you pitch exactly in the position its in without having to roll it foward.

Hopefully the explanation is clear. Please discuss any pro's con's to doing this and some of you might actually pack this way already.
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

on most harness container systems the bag is designed to "rotate out" of the main container as part of the deployment sequence. When you deploy you are starting a sequence of events designed to slow you down dramatically and without bodily injury. Part of that is the rotation of the bag out of the container (if you look at the bottom of the container you will see that it is "boxed" or sewn to create a place for the main bag to rest).

edited to add ('cause I really wasn't fully awake) - this feature is also a safety function. Should the main pin become dislodged the bag "should" require positive force from the pilot chute in order to leave the container (helping to minimize a nasty malfunction).

Hope this helps....
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

My question is why do we do this? Why not keep the lines towards the ground placing the bridle looking up at you when your closing the tray. This would extract the D-bag when you pitch exactly in the position its in without having to roll it foward.

The Wings user's manual says you can pack it either way - I always pack mine the way you described with the bridle looking up at you. Other than following the manufacturer's instructions, part of it has to do with the shape of the d-bag and main pack tray. Some are quite rectangular and only fit well one direction, others are more square when viewed from the side and will fit either way.

"this feature is also a safety function. Should the main pin become dislodged the bag "should" require positive force from the pilot chute in order to leave the container"

Thats understandable. So new question then: Why not just make the D-Bag fit tightly with the bridle facing you since thats the way the bag is extracted anyway?

Just trying to figure out why the design? Who looked at the opening sequence and said, "no, rotate the D-bag 90 degrees"?

Thanks for the replies.
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

Have you noticed any difference in openings with the D-bag packed that way?

This is the only rig I've had (other than student gear and a jump or two on friends gear) and I've always packed it that way, through the 3 different canopies I've had in it. Started out packing it like that because my first canopy was a tight fit and it was simply easier to shove the bag straight in than to try and turn it. Worked well, so I've stuck with it. It has on occasion been packed the "regular" way by packers, but I haven't noticed any difference in openings. Of course I jump a Pilot loaded barely over 1:1 - you can do just about anything to it and it will still open nicely as long as you put the slider in the right place ;)

This question just popped into my head. I'll do my best to explain without the aid of pictures.

Canopy already in D-bag and lines are stowed.

At this stage we put the D-bag in the tray, lines towards the ground and then roll the bag foward (this places the lines at the bottom of the tray and bridle at the top).

Hopefully the explanation is clear. Please discuss any pro's con's to doing this and some of you might actually pack this way already.

When manually extracting on the ground, I have noticed that some containers (with their correct D-bag and a properly sized 'chute) will be tight either way, BUT when the bridle comes out from the top (nearest the reserve) the containers "breaks" (arches away from the jumpers back) and allows the bag to dislodge from one side, rotate up and out. Whereas pulling on it from the center, the bridle/PC has to overcome friction from all four sides of the D-bag at once.

This is how it was explained to me as a student, and I have seen it on many rigs since.

Does this mean it makes a difference in the air at terminal speeds... dunno...

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

I dont think it really matters one way or another.

It depends on the dimensions of the D-bag. If the depth and thickness is close looks ok,but if its deeper than the thickness and filled up fully than I'd rather rotate to the bridle to reserve position.

I get less line twists and more opening consistency when packing grommet up on my wingsuit rig. My other rig doesn't open better one way or the other but packs nicer grommet against reserve.

Are you jumping a Stiletto at 1.6 with your wingsuit? Still have the S-3?
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

Ya, still have the S-3.
No, I have not jumped the Stiletto w/ the S-3. I have a Traithlon 120 I use for that.

I have not beening flying the S-3 much, I went to the really dark side of CRW and have not returned ;)

I did fly it when I was at the Belize boggie and shot this video. My exit shows I was a bit rusty.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4112246323812536819&q=boggie+in+belize&ei=TlIfSM-nI4GOqAPBkvHDAQ

Are you coming down any time?

I dont think it really matters one way or another.

It depends on the dimensions of the D-bag. If the depth and thickness is close looks ok,but if its deeper than the thickness and filled up fully than I'd rather rotate to the bridle to reserve position.

Great point, I've seen a few people with thin, tall bags pack grommet-up -- which the rig was not designed for -- causing cracked stiffeners/damage to the side flaps which I've had to repair.

-D