sky4meplease

Rigging for flag jumps

If your talking about a flag rigged like to the left, it is stored in a bag sewn to the bottom skin of the canopy and a line runs through two rings, one on a rear riser and one on the canopy. The line is pulled down (it is rigged as a loop) on one side as the loop feeds itself up and the flag is deployed. It is a little more complicated than that but not much.

Flight Concepts build them standard on the Demonstrator, Star Trac and Sharp Chuter Series canopies. I have also seen Spectre's that have had bags installed after market.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I’ve done a couple of jumps using the method shown in my profile image.

The flag I’m using is made from a lightweight material which I store down my jumpsuit.

Once under canopy I simply connect the lower connection point to my shoe and the upper connection point to the rear riser.

Pros:
1.Reduces the risk of snagging the suspended weight. (because there is none)
2. Simple rigging.
3. If jettisoned the flag only has its own weight (and two connector links) reducing the damage to third parties.

Cons:
1. Can be quite fiddly connecting under canopy which in turn leads to distraction and opens up a whole world of other issues.
2. If you connect it by the rear riser first and accidently drop the lower connection point there is a potential problem of choking that line group resulting in a major control problem.
3. A heavyweight flag may cause a control problem.

If I were to conduct these jumps on a regular basis I’d use a fastex clip on the side of my thigh for the lower connection with some kind of release method in case of canopy collisions etc.
I’d attach a separate upper connection to the riser which wouldn't move.

Hope my limited flag jumping experience helps you.

PS. Matthew Cline (above) has posted a great method

I have done a few jumps with this method. I keep the flag baged to the calf and shoe. held with a cutaway cable then just pull the cutaway and conect to a loop below my riser that a rigger put on for me. I like this way as you can freefall the system and if the wind is bad or a bad spot you do not have to use the flag and it wont get in the way.

My DZ jumps a flag regularly into demos. They use the weights and flag hanging below the jumper method. As an alternative i would like to know how to rig the flag to trail the canopy.

Curious as to why you're looking for an alternative?

Using a 'drop-flag' is a pretty safe method in that everything is away from the canopy and you don't need to be doing any involved in-air rigging, nor is your gear altered significantly.

Nothing wrong with using a 'trail-flag' system as long as you are heads up enough to deal with any complication that may arise, they look good and are easy to pack, in fact I carry and deploy a 3X5 US Flag on nearly every fun jump I make...

Word of caution...I use a snap link on the top of my 'trail-flag' and hook it into a fabric loop high on the harness, bungie cord loop goes over the foot.

I would be cautious about hooking it into the risers.

1~ the risers are a method of steering, if the flag is too tight, you're steering with it.
2.~ It's an attachment point from the canopy to your body...should you for some reason need to cut-away after the flag is deployed (ie. canopy wrap) you have an extra step in your EP's.

Said it before and will keep saying... nothing wrong with a drop flag for a less experienced or occasional demo jumper.

DON'T hang weights off the bottom, instead evenly weight the flag's leading edge, it packs and deploys cleaner, flys better, uses less weight for a given flag size and is safer to the spectators and flag catchers...looks better IMHO too.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

DON'T hang weights off the bottom, instead evenly weight the flag's leading edge, it packs and deploys cleaner, flys better, uses less weight for a given flag size and is safer to the spectators and flag catchers...looks better IMHO too.

Thanks for this advice. i tested my new setup last Sunday. Got a pocket sewn into the leading edge of the 6'x10' flag I normally jump to carry the weight and got rid of the weight bag hanging underneath.

Much cleaner looking and less of a snag hazard.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!