denete

Canopy opens, what do you do next?

Is there some reason why you can't/shouldn't hold both brakes in one hand and loosen the chest strap with the other?

Don't see why not.

But more to the point, why would you?

I don't. In fact, I wear my chest strap tight and don't loosen it at all. Personal choice, but I like my handles where they are supposed to be. After giving it some thought though, I figured it could be done if somebody wanted to.
But what do I know?

I can reach my risers with the arms zipped, and i do, which is how i was taught by my BMIs, because it wont matter a fuck if you unzip your arms if you smack into another canopy

Well, if I'm close enough to another canopy to need collision avoidance directly after a wingsuit flight then I done fucked up already. If I did need it I'd still back unzipping one arm and giving a proper yank on a riser instead of tugging whatever I could grab just above the three ring.

Concur.

I can't reach the risers when in either of my wingsuits' when the arms are zipped, and if you can't achieve adequate separation after breakoff in a WS, well, maybe bowling is your game.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I don't. In fact, I wear my chest strap tight and don't loosen it at all. Personal choice, but I like my handles where they are supposed to be. After giving it some thought though, I figured it could be done if somebody wanted to.

During Brian's canopy course I reluctantly loosened my chest strap under canopy when he urged us to.
I was amazed by the difference in performance and the immediate effect on my landings. Harness turns are so much easier now..

Of course i followed the most awesome landing in my career so far up with five faceplants before I got used to all the extra things I had to pay attention to but that's a different story:D
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

A bit late on my response, but the only reason I asked about holding the toggles in one hand while you loosen a chest strap is to allow you to do a full control check before you loosen the chest strap. That way if you were to get a tension not and some spins the handles would be were you expected.

Its not something I've been doing, I was just thinking it might be a beneficial compromise over how some people loosen the chest strap and then unstow the toggles.

after the parachute opens i typically land it. Unless it malfunctions then I land a different one.

So basically what you want to do is land the parachute after it opens. I know its complicated but you guys will figure it out.
I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your fucking packing tent down.

A bit late on my response, but the only reason I asked about holding the toggles in one hand while you loosen a chest strap is to allow you to do a full control check before you loosen the chest strap. That way if you were to get a tension not and some spins the handles would be were you expected.

Right, but even so, why would you then hold them both in one hand? I don't see the point.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I swallow, take a breath, and utter a big sigh of relief. For me from the moment I throw the hacky until the canopy is open is the worst part of this sport.

Remember when you were a child, worried about crossing the street?
Like that long-past feeling, this too, shall pass.:P
Just wait'll you see a canopy 50' away have an off-heading opening cutting towards you. That'll make your hackey fear shrivel up.

after the parachute opens i typically land it. Unless it malfunctions then I land a different one.

So basically what you want to do is land the parachute after it opens. I know its complicated but you guys will figure it out.

:D:D:D
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

I have been watching this thread with interest.
Certainly, traffic awareness, control check and all that that implies…

One thing to keep in mind, skydivers have been seriously injured and/or died as a result of un-stowing their toggles below an altitude that is safe to cutaway from (recent incident report?) due to a hung up toggle and impacted after a subsequent cutaway before reserve inflation or spiraled into the ground.
So no matter what your particular modus operandi just remember that if you do not adhere to safe, FUNDAMENTAL skydiving practices then you may become a “sacrificial lamb” that we use as an example of what not to do.

Any practice you decide to employ, remember to adhere to decision altitude recommendations and be in a configuration that is safe to land at or above your hard deck.
Keep your priorities in order…
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

unzip wingsuit....

so in the Safety and Training Forum is that seriously the 1st thing your do when you canopy opens?

Uh, yeah. Being able to reach the rears asap after deployment is generally considered to be a good thing.

I can reach my risers with the arms zipped, and i do, which is how i was taught by my BMIs, because it wont matter a fuck if you unzip your arms if you smack into another canopy:S:S

So that means you know any sort of wingsuit and are 100% certain you can reach backrisers with any wingsuit...that's funny cause I can't reach mine with my wingsuit. And to me it will matter a fuck that I can reach backrisers first.

unzip wingsuit....

so in the Safety and Training Forum is that seriously the 1st thing your do when you canopy opens?

Uh, yeah. Being able to reach the rears asap after deployment is generally considered to be a good thing.

I can reach my risers with the arms zipped, and i do, which is how i was taught by my BMIs, because it wont matter a fuck if you unzip your arms if you smack into another canopy:S:S

So that means you know any sort of wingsuit and are 100% certain you can reach backrisers with any wingsuit...that's funny cause I can't reach mine with my wingsuit. And to me it will matter a fuck that I can reach backrisers first.

But don't we take a quick look around as the VERY VERY first thing?

Don't we need to decide if there's time to unzip or if we should instead go for a wing cutaway?

I've only been on a ws with maybe 7 or 8 people in the air with me. Mostly, I choose my deployment area for lack of traffic. But I still take a quick look to be sure I didn't get some company I hadn't expected.

So, isn't "check for traffic" really the very first thing?