skydiveul

Thinking of buying a Quasar II

hey guys, buying my first rig, and due to a shortage of good used gear here in Ireland I'm buying new gear. Was waiting way too long for a wings, and now my dealer tells me he is moving to strong parachutes quasar. I'm not overly gucci on gear, but it is my first rig, so any advice??

hey guys, buying my first rig, and due to a shortage of good used gear here in Ireland I'm buying new gear. Was waiting way too long for a wings, and now my dealer tells me he is moving to strong parachutes quasar. I'm not overly gucci on gear, but it is my first rig, so any advice??

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2698069#2698069

I have one and love it, very good rig at a reasonable price.

A rigger examiner friend that packs my reserve said he's is quite impressed with the workmanship. Fits and feels great...I'd recommend it.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

There are other dealers. Buy what you want, not what your dealer wants to sell you. Choose the rig you want, then figure out where you'll buy it.

There really aren't any "bad" containers out there, so it's kind of hard to get any really objective information to compare them.

The only really innovative feature on the quasar (that I know of) was the "flinger" system, which had to be removed not too long ago because "testing revealed the steel ‘Flinger’/PRO assembly may take a set beyond the designed acceptable range, restricting movement of the side flaps and reserve pilot chute." But now that this minor flaw of a reserve system that might not work has been removed, it's a fine rig. :)
Dave

I Jumped one when they first came out that a friend had just bought. I liked it so much I wrote down the serial # and ordered one just like it Except for the color. I have since owned a vector 3 and a Infinity and keep going back to that old Quasar. I just dropped it of last week to have it updated with hard housing's so i could get it back out of mothballs, Stroung Ent. has always had a great rep for servicing there gear after the sale.

...was the "flinger" system, which had to be removed not too long ago because "testing revealed the steel ‘Flinger’/PRO assembly may take a set beyond the designed acceptable range, restricting movement of the side flaps and reserve pilot chute."

For those that are unaware, the "PRO" flinger system was a set of spring steel bands in the reserves side flaps that were supposed to pop open and assist in a fast deployment.

The issue was discovered by a poster on this site that went in for a repack and pulled the reserve, the flaps somewhat captured the pilot chute 1/2 way out.

'Taking a set' IMHO is more of a catch all reason for the AD, I think the reason it had a problem was the container was pretty tight with the main still in it and that put leverage on the flaps, with those spring steel bands in the side flaps they were stiff and that 'leverage' worked the wrong way.

Mine was delivered 3 days prior to the AD coming out, I pulled the reserve both with the main in and out and it launched perfectly...had to send it in to get the AD Strong issued addressed, had the rig back in two days at no cost and can't tell by looking, that anything was changed.

Again, comfortable rig, VERY well made, and a manufacturer that stands behind the stuff.

I was the one that discovered (rediscovered according to some) the problem. 2 out of three launchs with the main container closed the side reserve flaps with the steel in them 'caught' the bottom ring of the reserve PC spring and held it in place. The third was a highly retarded launch (read fell to the floor at the wearer's feet). Last two on tape. We got back the first 'fix' for evaluation just removing the steel and it wasn't enough. The reenforcing webbing still cause the flaps to be stiff enough to retard the launch.

Final fix included removing the steel and the reenforcing webbing and/or tape in the flaps, adding an internal kicker flap for the reserve PC, and replacing the reserve PC with one with a stronger spring. So lots done to it, mostly on the inside.;)

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one without the PRO (flinger) system.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I saw this problem on a Quasar 2 with my own eyes long before they introduced the "flinger". Rig up for repack, main still in container. The reserve handle was pulled and none of the reserve pilot chute escaped for at least 5 seconds. It then "fell onto the floor" as described above. This is no shit. I saw it myself.

Hi Damien!

Admittedly, my opinion is probably going to seem a little biased...lol, but here it is:

I have owned/jumped a number of different brands of containers over the last eight years and have found them all to be comfortable and most were freefly friendly. There really isn't a bad container on the market these days.

With that said, from a rigging perspective, what I love most about my Quasar II container is that we are using "Super VII" Type VII webbing on our harnesses and our containers are made out of 1000 Denier Cordura, so the Quasar II is a super tough/durable container.

Aesthetically. I am a big fan of the thin, low profile container design. And as a freeflier (when not doing tandems...lol), I really like the free-fly friendly pin protection.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to give me a call at (407) 859-9317 or an email at [email protected].

Whether you pick the Quasar II or not, as long as whatever system you choose is properly fitted, properly maintained and free-fly friendly, you will be in good shape.

Best regards,

Tom Noonan
Tandem Director
Strong Enterprises

ps- I am planning a trip back out to your drop zone this summer, look forward to making some jumps with you!

I love my Quasar and I wouldn't hesitate to get another one. There are many people jumping them at my DZ and the quality of the material on the Quasar is great. As a rigger I see some harness/container systems that aren't as well put together.

It is a comfortable rig. The modification that was done to remove the flingers basically added a solid launching surface for the reserve pilot chute and from what I've seen it creates a very positive launch.

Last but not least, many extras that other harness manufacturer's charge extra for are standard on the Quasar.

If you have any specific questions, send me a PM.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

I've had great experience with their customer service. I've been meaning to post about it for a while but forgot... I bought this used Quasar II and it had a very minor defect... sent it to them, they serviced it in one day and sent it back, the next day the package was already at my door, together with the reserve repacked for free. I was very pleased with the service.

I've had great experience with their customer service. I've been meaning to post about it for a while but forgot... I bought this used Quasar II and it had a very minor defect... sent it to them, they serviced it in one day and sent it back, the next day the package was already at my door, together with the reserve repacked for free. I was very pleased with the service.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=689

I read the above article this morning...tells a lot about Strong Ent. and their customer service.

I have several Strong rigs that I've accumulated over the years, well made, safe and 'Strong' company backing it all up. B|

thought i'd bump this thread. because i just bought a quasar II rig. when was the " problem" with the reserve " flinger" I ask cause the rig is a 1997 manf. last repacked in 2003? 2004? it sat in a closet for 4 + years. I'm not sure since I've bought the rig but haven't yet touched it.:S ( had it sent to a rigger i trust then sent the money after he had recived it) so I'm sure I'm good just wondering about dates and if I might have a rig with a " flinger" that need to be removed

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

oh. so this one would have that in it. ( note to self ) make sure rigger removes " flinger" b4 repacking reserve. and yeah i know any rigger worth his salt would know this. but good to know not being a rigger my damn own self
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

oh. so this one would have that in it. ( note to self ) make sure rigger removes " flinger" b4 repacking reserve. and yeah i know any rigger worth his salt would know this. but good to know not being a rigger my damn own self

You can tell if the fingers have been removed a couple of ways~
Feel them in the reserve flap, or check the data card...

The AD needs to be resolved by the manufacturer, I don't believe the rigger can to it as it also includes a new reserve pilot chute that Strong supplies.

I got my new QII a couple day before the AD came out, shipped it back and they fixed it fast & free.

BTW coming up on 500 jumps on the rig and it looks / works great...my rigger likes to call people in to watch me dump at repack time because that new pilot chute is rather impressive bouncing off the far wall of the loft! ;)

First thing in the morning to simple solve the question would be to call the manufacturer with the serial number on the rig. They will be able to answer the question...

We can go back and forth on the forums but the actual answer lies there with a quick call I am guessing..

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

First thing in the morning to simple solve the question would be to call the manufacturer with the serial number on the rig. They will be able to answer the question...

We can go back and forth on the forums but the actual answer lies there with a quick call I am guessing..

Scott C.

I PM'd him with the number and a contact name @ S.E.

IIRC all of them had the flinger flaps but I could be wrong.

There is also an AD compliance card that is stamped & signed off, attached to the standard packing data card.