EirAnne

Possible SCAM in dz classified Mirage M5

Now it could just be me and a suspicious mind, but the new ad today in classifieds looks like a very good scam. (I have contacted Sangiro). The ad provides lots of details, but also lots of mistakes.
1. PD don't make a 181.
2. Spectra lines on a reserve?
3. HMA on a stiletto 190???
4. $1950 including a Cypres 2?????
5. Who talks about a molar freebag???
6. NO user profile and no posts.

Since these ads are getting more sophisticated and using more skydiver language it is only a matter of time before it is difficult to distinguish from the real thing. Maybe it is time to make the site safer.

Our community has a very good network system. On suggestion is to make it mandatory to have personal information in the User Profile, including a home dz. For those who don't have a current dz. they could use the dz where they did their student training. It is difficult to fake this information, and would not require a lot of checking to see if it is true. I don't think real skydivers would have a problem providing evidence of someone who knows them in the sport.

Any suggestions?

im going to see how far i can go with this guy. Time to find him. I will try and set it up..... you see, with western union, you are able to make it so they can only get the payment from one single exact branch. maybe i could say i am going to buy it, and then tell him the branch he has to go to. I will get in touch with the branch and let them know of the scam so when he shows his ID he is snapped and they call the cops. Might as well try, no matter what country this fuckwit is in it is time to try and stop him.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Let it go. The ad has been removed and we are trying to stop scammers as they appear but it the buyers responcibility to make sure the transaction is ligit. Insist on using escrows, ask for specific pictures, etc can all help in determining if it is a scam or not.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Dont you think it is time we sorted this guy out once and for all? He has already stolen a few jumpers money. I reackon we should at least try and get this guy busted by the cops and try and get the victims money back.

Anyway, he will not reply to me, i just noticed he is watching the forums.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Dont you think it is time we sorted this guy out once and for all? He has already stolen a few jumpers money. I reackon we should at least try and get this guy busted by the cops and try and get the victims money back.

Anyway, he will not reply to me, i just noticed he is watching the forums.

DUUUUUUUUUUDE.

it's not a "guy" - it's a syndicate. Plus whereever they are, cops could care less. This scam is done in every type of classifieds, they don't care about the things they are "selling". Wasting time getting them busted is like pissing against the wind. It's better to IP block, put in some advance scam monitoring filters, etc.

You think they would not care about getting arrested? It would be pretty easy by alerting western union and when they goto collect their money they are arrested.
Nobody likes getting arrested.

of course they will care.
you are forgetting that just because they give you a UK address - it does not mean that they have to collect in the UK. They can collect ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD where Western Union has an office.
Think poor 3rd world country where crooks own the cops.

to break it down :

I am a Nigerian who solicits you with an ad on dz.com
you send "me" money to "my" London address using WU
I go to my local WU station in NIGERIA and my friend an co-scammer get's the withdrawl "approved"
I get the money
you get NOTHING

how much do you think it costs to buy a cop in some of those places ???

That did not work. got my desktop extended. sorry

here is his reply...
Ok man, you can have the mirage for 1875 USD. This is an excellent beginner rig so it is very good for you if you have only 45 jumps. What is your height and weight ? If the rig fits you then we can have a deal. I can send it to you using fedex second day air, ups or dhl and I want to receive the money using western union money transfer. I will pay the shipping taxes and you will pay the taxes from the payment. This way we will split the taxes. I think it is fair this way. So let me know if you agree and if you do, we can start the transaction even today. If you are decided to buy the rig then please email me your name and adress so I can know where I will have to send the rig. I will also give you my name and adress for the payment.

Keep in touch man and welcome to the sport
Robbie

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

here are the replies when i accused him of fraud....

Fraud department ?? Tracked for what ??

Robbie

Sir, I don`t know who you are and if you are searching to make jokes here. If you are interested in the rig then email me. If not, go and play with someone else.

Good Bye !
Robbie

I would say he hsa pretty good english. his profile said italy. All the scams seem to say italy.

They seem to know alot about the gear so to speak.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Gary... Let it go. There are hundreds of people that make their living by these scams every day. Any time Western Union or wire payments are used there is a chance for fraud. You "screwing" with them is only going to raise your blood pressure and waste a few minutes of their time. Here in the US the Federal Trade Commisison has an entire branch set u pto try and combat this but they are making extremely limited gains, the best thing you can do is to alert us when a scam appears on here.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I was just bored. It aint playing with my blood but they will not reply. I asked for a photo of the packing card.
I just hate that members of this community, at least three i know of, have been ripped of by him. of course they were newbies.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

how much do you think it costs to buy a cop in some of those places ???

Based on semi-recent experiences, between USD20 and USD50 for a single action, but north of Nigeria (ex French colonies) there is a definite preference for Euros.

oh my god. The prices have gone up :)

thank you for backing me up on this. :)