woodpecker

Optimum Reserve -- larger sizes

The response I was given was "soon" but it was stated that it was "larger Katana soon." Which means they're working on it, they want to release it, but its going to take some time to have everything in order.

I'm with you, when the larger reserves come out then I should be able to get a properly sized container for my main and reserve size. As it stands now, my main is a little loose in the container and I'm pretty much stuck with it for now.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Now thats interesting...the largest reserve I can fit into my container is a 193...it seems like it would be great to be able to have a 210+ reserve in there.

Can anyone think of scenarios where a larger reserve would be more detrimental than a smaller one? I can think of windy day + poor spot.

Can anyone think of scenarios where a larger reserve would be more detrimental than a smaller one? I can think of windy day + poor spot.

Yes, but I can think of MANY more scenarios where the bigger the better (with in bounds of reason).

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Yes, but I can think of MANY more scenarios where the bigger the better (with in bounds of reason).

JW

Do you know how a 20-30-50% bigger reserve fly a biplane ?

I think it might be better not having 2 canopies out at the same time.

Shit happens, you know. I'd like to know what can I expect.

You can expect there to be a FAR greater chance that you will end up under just your reserve at some point than under a two out. Not wanting to miss match your main and reserve sizes is a piss poor reason to be jumping a reserve smaller than you are comfortable with.

Canuck

why don't you guys think about the german paratec reserve calles speed 2000?
it packs pretty small... about two sizes smaller than the pd reserve!

So what is it about the Speed 2000 that allows it to pack so small? Are they made from a low bulk fabric like the Optimum, or do they have way less rienforcement?

Canuck

JW

Do you know how a 20-30-50% bigger reserve fly a biplane ?

No, not enough studys done (yes, I've read the PD and the older Knight studies).

And yes, as someone else mentioned Sh!t happens (been there, had two out myself). I've also had a total that caused me to land down wind into a small field.

There will always be reasons for or against anything (and I do not discount your reasoning at all).

I, like most of us are simply trying to make choices that will minimize the risks.

Personlly, I avoid the issue you raised by not having a large varience in main/reserve... Large reserve for the notion of what I would want to land me while incapacitated down wind in bad conditions... And it also balances with my Spectre 230 which is soft and forgiving.

For those jumping hankerchiefs... they will have to make their best guess at the risks (two out compatibility and chances vs having to land a tiny reserve in unfavorable conditions after the day was already going bad and the chance that this is what they will one day have to face...)

As I said, I think there are many more reasons to have a large reserve than reasons to have a small one.

Just my $.02
JW
:)
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

You can expect there to be a FAR greater chance that you will end up under just your reserve at some point than under a two out.

Oh, There is even a FAR greater chance that you don't need to use your reserve.......Thanks for your contribution, I can solve this problem just like you did.

I too have never heard of the speed 2000 and would like more info on it from anyone who has seen one or even jumped it.

I had one reserve ride with a Speed 2000 (170 sqft.).
It opened very fast but soft and incredible on heading.
A perfect parachute opening.
Most jumper love this fact as also their good flying and landing abilities.

In Germany, the Speed 2000 is very popular. It holds also TSO c23d.

At someone mentioned, it packs amazingly small. I would guess that it packs like the Optimum at least one size smaller (if not more).
And yes, this is due to a special low bulk material since many years now.
If I'm right informed, the Speed 2000 is Europes most popular reserve and I heard nothing but good about it.

Don't be a Lutz!

here we go again...
i own a wings 5-2 ext that holds a speed 2000 135sft & a crossfire 129 and my rigger would get a speed 2000 150sft in as well (though it's a bit tricky). at wings that container is mader for a pd 126...

speed 2000
135 - 248 cu.in.
150 - 266 cu.in.
170 - 307 cu.in.

PD

106 - 153 cu.in.
113 - 288 cu.in.
126 - 296 cu.in.
143 - 338 cu.in.

i'm about to get another wings and it will be a 8-2 or 8-3 ext. wings suggest a pd143/main150 combination but i picked a speed170/sabre150 for my wingsuit stuff.

the reserve packs 1 -2 sizes smaller and yes it is more expansive due to the currency. i only recommended the brand cause some in here asked for bigger reserves?!

check www.paratec.de

BlueS

Does the Speed 2000 pack tight and neat in the 126 designed Wings reserve tray? Why is it "tricky" to get the 150 Speed 2000 in... It's still well under the PD126 cu. in.?

Would be interested in hearing/learning more about the Speed 2000 (sorry, not meaning to highjack tread).
Don't be sexist… Broads hate that.

Speed reserves used to be measured via a different system then how PD measures their canopies so that the PD canopies and the Speed's were not match at 1 Sq ft = 1 Sq ft.

For a while Icarus did the same thing with Safires and they were really about 8% smaller then their advertised SQ footage. You need to actaully contact PD and Paratec to get their formulas to calculate square footage to compare 1 to 1.

There are only a few major ways to reduce pack volume:
- Thinner material
- Less reenforcement
- Smaller lines
- Remove packing tabs
- Smaller grommets
- No slider stops
- Canopy/airfoil shape

Some of those changes come at the expensive of some safety measures.

I don't know of anyone that does this but there is nothing stoping some one from slapping a 160 label on a canopy that another manufactor would measure as a 135. In this example it would be marketed as "it packs small" and "flies fast for its size"! Another company might toss a 120 label on something that would measure 160 by company B's methods and market it as "it flying big for its size" or some other marketing hype.

Always, ALWAYS do your research before you buy gear to make sure you are comparing things 1:1 since everyone does things differently and out of the box they may appear to be the same but they are not equal due to marketing decisions. Contact the manufactors to see how they measure canopies, some use projected inflated size, some use top skin measurements, others use bottom skin and other have created their own measurement methods.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com