Anta

170 container with 190 main

Hello,

I have an Icon I5, which is built to fit a 170 (and my 170 does indeed fit tightly into it), however for various reasons I would like to upsize to a 190 for a (probably fairly long) while. I'd keep the same reserve in the rig (smart 160, and yes I'm happy with it etc).

I emailed Aerodyne about it, and the reply I got was:

"The largest canopy the I5 is built for is a 170. A 190 will be a very tight fit and could over time cause permanent damage to the plastic stiffeners in the main flaps. We do not recommend putting a 190 in the I5."

Now, I'm not sure if that's the sort of response they "have" to give (they are based in the states after all :D and I've heard that generally u can up/down size one canopy size for a given container), or is there really a high risk that my container would get damaged?

I also heard that some canopies tend to pack a bit smaller, for instance the safire or 7 celled canopies; would that make a difference?

I would just appreciate some input from other people who's got experience with this sort of stuff.

Thanks.

If your 170 is very tight then they are usually right that long term over stuffing of a container will lead to damage of it. The 1 up 1 down is for short term use, not long term use since that will damage the rig. I'd look at a different container or look at keeping the 170 if you are set on keeping the container.

Soem canopies pack larger or smaller then other makes of the same size, the Spectre and other 7 cells are usually sited here. I've never heard of a Safire packing smaller then other 9 cells.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Now, I'm not sure if that's the sort of response they "have" to give (they are based in the states after all :D and I've heard that generally u can up/down size one canopy size for a given container), or is there really a high risk that my container would get damaged?

There is a high risk that your container would get damaged. You'd be smart to follow their recommendation to not put a 190 in an I5.

Thanks for the fast replys =). I think I'll go with your advice. I'm not too bad off either as I can borrow a 190 rig from our university club, it's just convenient and fancy to have your own stuff ;). But I obviously don't want to damage my gear.

Anta

Let me see if I can assist some more on this. Yes I have packed a Pilot 188 into our demo I5 Icon's on the odd occasion during a demo event (slap on the wrist ;)) .... and this is how I know what I'm talking about when saying that you could damage and stress the stitching and structure of the main tray on the Icon.

http://www.flyaerodyne.com/download/IconSizingChart.pdf

As for 7 cell packing smaller .... it's still a 190 no matter it being a 9 or 7 cell, yes certain fabrics make a difference in pack volume, but by no means enough to do what your wanting to do over a long term period.

Blue Skies

cheers again for the reply and for the sizing link.

Of course the gut feeling is to go with what the manufacturer says, but since I heard from so many people that you can go up/down a size no problems I wanted some more input. And yeah, it sounds sensible that the stress wears it out over time.

Anyway, I'll jump our university kit then until I feel current enough/ready for my own gear :)

A few years ago I wondered about 190 7 cell vs. 170 9 cell packing, and I checked Aerodyne's web site and found (and is still there today):

Pack volume for 168 Pilot: 416 cu.
Pack volume for 190 Triathlon: 420 cu. (which is a difference of about 1%). Now same manufacterer so same methodology...1% shoud be barely noticeable.

But the I5 is listed for 416cu. max, and the manufacturer said don't do it, and I have packed a 190 Tri and a 170 Sabre 2 into a J3 and found the 170 to pack smaller, more than 1% IMHO (Sabre 2 not being a Pilot of course).

Seth
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

Pack volume for 168 Pilot: 416 cu.
Pack volume for 190 Triathlon: 420 cu. (which is a difference of about 1%). Now same manufacterer so same methodology...1% shoud be barely noticeable.

A brand new Triathlon 190 or an older Triathlon 190. They used to use some different(Glevenor) material.

I have two Tris..one Gelvenor, one that crinkly, slippery shit. Guess which one I like best.

To the OP...good stuff going with manufacturer's recommendations.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

cheers again for the reply and for the sizing link.

Of course the gut feeling is to go with what the manufacturer says, but since I heard from so many people that you can go up/down a size no problems I wanted some more input. And yeah, it sounds sensible that the stress wears it out over time.

Anyway, I'll jump our university kit then until I feel current enough/ready for my own gear :)

The timing of this thread is really incredible. Just today, my gear dealer called me to tell me my brand new Icon (sized for Pilot 168 Main/ 175 Smart reserve) came in. I am currently jumping a Sabre 1 190 and the thought crossed my mind to try and stuff it into the new container. It's pretty ratted out, right? (the answer is yes :P)

I thoguht it over more this afternoon and, in light of the fact that my new Pilot 168 is supposed to be shipped in another two weeks, I can wait. I was told that the possibility of streching the container could be there, but after reading that acyual damage to the stiffeners can occur, it would be stupid to try to stuff my 190 into it. I cant really afford to replace my new container if I damaged it due to my own impatience...
Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.