pjc

How often do you replace your type 17 (mini) risers??

:| If you set your 400-ish jumps Type 17s next to a brand spankin new pair, I highly doubt you'd find "no sign of wear whatsoever"; that's impossible.

Anyway, 500 jumps or when ever you get the main they're attached to re-lined is a rule of thumb I've heard and followed.

I'm sure many folk will speak up that they've put 1000s of jumps on a set of Type 17s.

I've seen them break too, mostly the old non-re-enforced ones being jumped by fat guys.

I would never suggest its a good idea, but I have around 1500 on the ones I have at the moment, I will be replacing them prior to jumping this year though...

pushed it long enough I think, I looked at them this week and really saw how tattered they are....

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

I try to replace mine at the beginning of each season as well as the slinks. I have two rigs and put about 400 on each, during the summer. I figure for 175.00 + 25.00 = 200.00 it is worth the piece of mind. I guess I am one of the fat guys, 200lbs, loaded canopy. Plus I am a wimp when it comes to equipment safety.

1200 and counting....... Mine looked really good up till 800 jumps or so then they started showing their age. They still dont look that bad but Ill probably change them soon.
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

Just before they break? ;)

Riser wear, like all components, is dependent on factors like sun exposure, environment (sand, salt etc.), abuse/care, canopy opening speed and pilot weight, construction quality etc. Also risk tolerance. There is no point in basing your decision on other people's experience. Also several sets of risers I own were used when I got them, jump numbers are unknown but visual examination is useful. Personally I'd pay a lot more attention to closing loops, risers rarely break.

Sometimes you eat the bear..............

Mirage recommend 200-400 jumps but this seems over-excessive. Mine are approaching 400 and on close inspection there is no sign of wear whatsoever.

Anyone change them at 200?? :o
Anyone go over 1000?? :S

What wear point are you looking for? Most people totally miss the most important one. The white loop for the cutaway cables...
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I tell my rigging customers and friends at the DZ to think about changing theirs every 600 jumps or so. Also, I STRONGLY discourage from buying used risers, even to college kids putting their first rig together. A good set of new risers costs $85 - for a regular jumper who plans proper gear rotation, that shouldn't be a problem.
=========Shaun ==========

Thanks for the input everyone - No takers for every 200 jumps yet then?? :)
I am checking the general condition paying particular attention to the reinforced areas around the grommet (for the 3 ring loop) and the doubled over section where the softlink goes through. I check the 3 ring loop usually on the 1st jump of the day - but of course, it is still assembled at that point - otherwise, it gets looked at once every 3 months.
I think I'll aim to change them with lineset and links every 500-600 jumps if no significant visible wear occurs before then....

As an aside, the potential for your risers to break is not the only reason to replace them. A while back a mate of mine was flying his velo 90 and it was doing very strange things, bucking about when he pulled on the risers, etc etc. He took it to his riggers, they did a full inspection and couldn't find a fault, it wasn't out of trim, the lines were still the right length, etc. Then they looked at the risers which had about 1500 jumps on them. Sure as nuts, one riser had stretched to 3cm longer than the other and that was what was making his canopy behave the way it did.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

To those who have pulled them... I have more canopies than risers (old junkers I use for intentional cut-aways) Feel free to send your retired risers this way.:)
PS - larger D-bags and PCs with another dozen jumps on them also wanted...

JW

PS - someone asked what I recommend folks do with retired gear... my wife knows where it all went... ;)

Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

My old rig probably has over 1000 jumps on the risers. It's now my second rig and I don't really have plans to replace them. My new rig has like 20 jumps on the risers and I don't think I will replace them for at least a 1000 jumps, though there is no way to know. Depends on how they wear. If my rigger or I think they are getting crappy I will replace them. I don't go on any set numbers.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

As an aside, the potential for your risers to break is not the only reason to replace them. A while back a mate of mine was flying his velo 90 and it was doing very strange things, bucking about when he pulled on the risers, etc etc. He took it to his riggers, they did a full inspection and couldn't find a fault, it wasn't out of trim, the lines were still the right length, etc. Then they looked at the risers which had about 1500 jumps on them. Sure as nuts, one riser had stretched to 3cm longer than the other and that was what was making his canopy behave the way it did.

And he didnt notice that when he packed? Wierd
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!