beej

Movies that 'moved' you

Fearless, the Peter Weir film where Jeff Bridges survives the air crash. Lots of heart, and all about loss and the effect that traumatic experience has on people. The crash itself, which you finally see at the end of the film, is so affecting - this amazingly violent imagery with only classical music as the soundtrack. It'd be my favourite movie of all time if they could just remake it without Rosie Perez. She's a fine actress, but all that screeching... [:/]

Robin Williams is a great actor. I guess it's not surprising when you think about it.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

About 28 years ago, I was 15 and had a pretty little girlfriend. One night, we went and saw two black and white movies: On the Waterfront and From Here To Eternity. They are both movies about how to be a man, and about how to stand up for what is right, and are still considered two of the best films ever made. It is rare when you can point to a specific night as having such a big influence on who you end up becoming as a man. I remember walking my girlfriend home and we were talking about integrity, honor, and stuff.......then I tried to get in her pants. A boy's gotta do what a boy's gotta do.

More recently, Schindler's List made a big impression on me.

I dont get the 'Robin Williams is a great actor' thing.

He seems to have two speeds: Robin Williams and Robin Williams doing his sensitive guy schtick (that doesnt seem to have developed since the early 80s when he ended his standup act with some schmaltzy crap about his son or the paper guy).

My tolerance for him seems to be based around the ability of the director: In my opinion he did a nice job in the Asimov robot film. The one about him going to heaven to see his dead wife however was EXACTLY the kind of crap that Im talking about.

Of course, he also looks a lot like my father, so perhaps its some weird paternal issues thing.

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.

Shawshank Redemption
Magnolia
Punch Drunk Love
Dark City
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
King Kong (yes, the new one - I'd never seen the original, and was shocked and a little confused that a movie about an ape could make me feel more emotion than most movies about people can)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Both Spaceballs and Fargo "moved" me right out of the theater and out the door.

I'll never ever get that time back.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The Rocky Horror Picture Show and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation have been very strong directional beacons in my life.
"I'm not a gynecologist but I will take a look at it"
RB #1295, Smokey Sister #1, HellFish #658, Dirty Sanchez #194, Muff Brothers #3834, POPS #9614, Orfun Foster-Parent?"