fasted3

Chest straps

I've missed my chest strap during AFF. It was routed through the buckle and back through the same side. So it looked done up but wasn't. eeek

Never done that since. I triple check my shit all the time as im a paranoid fuck.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

I understand with your background in donning compicated gear, dealing with stress, task overloading, and the other finer details that come with commercial diving, that you would feel very confident with the simplicity of putting on a rig. well you should be....... a moron with no training could put one on. regardless, the chest strap thing happens quite often. Lots of people get so comfortable with thier gear that they thread the chest strap without looking at it. You could mess up doing that. Now I dont doubt with your experience and discipline in gear checks that you will never misroute it. that is as long you dont get complacent because it seems so simple.
I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your fucking packing tent down.

It could be stitched closed with a lot of extra...and put on over the head.

Sure, I thought about that when I saw the post.... thing is, that just leads to a false sense of security that the thing isn't damaged, ripped, torn, or otherwise fubared or tampered with.

I'm gonna stand by my post.
Owned by Remi #?

just wait., if you do end up making it to some big jump #'s.
I thought to myself never would I ever, till one day filming a tandem, was walking to the plane and the tandem instructor asked if I was going to put on a rig.,
You get wrapped up in alot of shit, like they said, hope that friend is there to save your ass.,
Thanks eddie!
I Am Sofa King We Todd Did!!

Thanks for your reply, and I do understand your point. Your example was forgetting the rig completely. I do have a pretty good way to remember mine, but that is not what this is about. Chest strap: Misrouting.
(Still waiting for another definition than Half routing.) I believe that this problem would be solved if:
People trained themselves to NEVER leave it half done, or worse, do it half way, then stow the tail.
This is possible.
Does it prevent forgetting the chest strap altogether?
No.
But it will prevent doing it half way, then making it look like it's right.
Is it possible to train yourself to do this?
I think so. It is the method I use, and I've gone about as far as I can to say I think it's a good idea.
To repeat:
I am not looking for a fight here. I would like to see every skydiver, from now on, put their equipment on in a way that will save their life.
If you think that is impossible, that is your opinion.
I see no use in you airing that opinion, but I sure can't stop you from saying it.
However, I will be here to tell you that it is possible. I can do it, and you can too.
But what do I know?

I know that you're itching to tell us , so go on then, I'll bite , wots your guaranteed plan?

Nah, if I tell you I'll have to kill you.
;)
OK You're right, I do want to tell. I probably already did.

If you NEVER WANT TO MISROUTE YOUR CHEST STRAP......
NEVER MISROUTE YOUR CHEST STRAP!

I think the problem we are talking about is caused by starting to hook up the chest strap and not following through with properly completing the task.
I don't think you can reliably train yourself to remember to complete this task.
So take it apart.
Do it right or don't do it at all.
Yes, you MAY forget to do it.
I'm not guaranteeing you won't.
But if you NEVER LEAVE it half done, I will guarantee that you will NEVER FIND it half done.
I am not overconfident with this, and have admitted the possibility that I may forget, one day, to close my chest strap. The one thing I don't see myself doing is putting it together HALF WAY, slipping the tail under the elastic, and thinking I'll get back to this later.
I submit that this IS a misrouted chest strap.
It is quite possibly a deadly mistake.
It can be hard to spot.
It should NEVER happen.

OK get ready for it...

It NEVER WILL with me!

And if you see me wandering toward the plane without my chest strap on, helmet, gogglse... shit like that... Go ahead and help a brother out.
But what do I know?

me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me

:D:D

I only read it with one eye .... I think death is a bit over the top :P

I put my gear on (Skydive, Paraglide - solo and tandem) in the same order every time.

If I get interrupted, I start again.

I'm really anal about checking my gear - can't do it enough times. ..... it's too late in the hospital (or worse).

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I've missed my chest strap during AFF. It was routed through the buckle and back through the same side. So it looked done up but wasn't. eeek

Never done that since. I triple check my shit all the time as im a paranoid fuck.

Same thing happened to me. now i make sure to really look at it, as well as give it tugs to make me fell better
BASE 1384

"Me" have a plan too.
How about you and I gear check each other before we get on the plane.
And, before we get out do a "Check of Threes" and pin check each other before we exit.

That work for you?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Oh. Silly me, thinking I had something to offer.

"Something to offer" would be explaining your good way to never do that, so we can all maybe learn something new.

Oh. Silly me, thinking that learning something new was the point of these forums.

"Me" have a plan too.
How about you and I gear check each other before we get on the plane.
And, before we get out do a "Check of Threes" and pin check each other before we exit.
That work for you?

It is my understanding that no one does gear checks on each other anymore. Here is a quote from the other thread:

I came up in a time without gear checks being what they apparently once were. If I don't know you, I'd just as soon you didn't handle my gear. I checked it before I put it on, (that's part of the ritual too,) and I know it's right. How do I know you even know what to look for, or that you'll put it back right?
I would just never rely on anybody else for my own gear.

I don't know where this guy learned to skydive, but any DZ I have ever been to, skydivers performing checks on one another is the norm and the only ones who don't get them are the idiots setting a bad example for the newer jumpers. Today my student has been giving me complete gear checks before boarding and before exit on every load. How in the hell does a skydiver not trust another skydiver?

Kids these days, get their little old 500 jumps and think they have it all figured out eh?
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

i have a failsafe way of doing up my chest strap. what i do is do up my chest strap properly. simple or what? it's only failed me once, when i did it wrong by mistake. looked right though and noone spotted it so all's good
(happily i subsequently spotted the error)

...the only ones who don't get them are the idiots setting a bad example for the newer jumpers.

~Okay, So...I'm an idiot! :P

Today my student has been giving me complete gear checks before boarding and before exit on every load.

~Mykel, I'd trust any student YOU trained because I've watched you teach.

How in the hell does a skydiver not trust another skydiver?

~I don't necessarily 'not' trust them, I just trust myself more.

I check every handle, buckle, cable, pin, and routing prior to each jump...I'm satisfied before I put it on.
I'll check anyone that asks, and I look at others gear in the AC to see if I can spot anything funky...but I prefer no one be diggin' around on my back unless I know them and trust their ability.
Not 'everyone' has been taught by the likes of you, I've seen more than a few that have even a less than basic understanding of their gear...much less MINE! ;)

Call me a paranoia old fart, but I've seen a few things that make me wary of 'trusting' everyone. :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

i have a failsafe way of doing up my chest strap. what i do is do up my chest strap properly. simple or what? it's only failed me once, when i did it wrong by mistake. looked right though and noone spotted it so all's good
(happily i subsequently spotted the error)

if its a failsafe... then it would be impossible for it to fail... and it did fail, once. once is enough

nothing has a failsafe... just things that are more prevention for the shit to go down
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message