GixxxerKim

How to stay injury free: Ankles

Alignment is important. Secondly strengthening the muscles around the ankle help. Finally, exercise to increase bone density.
Kim's exercises mainly work on flexibility and alignment. Once your joints are correctly aligned, then start working on strengthening muscles: calf raises, etc.
Muscle strengthening exercises help increase bone density, but in the long run (pun intended) the only solution is miles and miles of road work. Why do you think paratroopers do so many forced marches with rucksack, rifles and snowshoes?
On a personal level, I am recovering from knee surgery. The surgeon was all smiles when he watched me walk down the hallway. Part my recovery included a series of stationary exercises taught by my local physiotherapist. Then we had a lengthy discussion about long walks on steep hills (British Columbia) is mostly steep hills. Good thing I enjoy long walks in forests.

wasatchrider

or learn how to land a parachute

Absolutely.;):D I'm amazed at a few people I've met who had terrible landings yet wanted no instruction. They didn't last long.

And of course, we all know, no matter how good a canopy pilot you are, things may conspire to slam you in hard some day. At that point, a good PLF makes a huge difference. :)

My parachute landings are atrocious. PLF is the only reason I walked away. For whatever reason I can land a paraglider fine... but learning to PLF is a super important skill.

I think it is on par with learning to land the parachute properly

more tools, more safe.
You are not the contents of your wallet.

sralston

Slide Baby, Slide!!!!! I have been leaving skid marks for the last seven years!

This...
With landing speeds of modern sport canopies PLFs are not the way to go, especially on no/lowwind days. There has been a read somewhere on here regarding that, if I remember correctly

of course you have to draw a line between low and high loadings...
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

sralston

Slide Baby, Slide!!!!! I have been leaving skid marks for the last seven years!

Aside from wrecking a suit I tore up my hand last time on a slide. But I see where you are getting at... slides are good IF the ground is flat and slick. If its rocky you could end up with a serious issue.
You are not the contents of your wallet.

Pobrause

***Slide Baby, Slide!!!!! I have been leaving skid marks for the last seven years!

This...
With landing speeds of modern sport canopies PLFs are not the way to go, especially on no/lowwind days. There has been a read somewhere on here regarding that, if I remember correctly

of course you have to draw a line between low and high loadings...

Get on a Flight 1 canopy course. They will change your mind about low / no wind days! I learned how to step off my canopy ride regardless of wind conditions and it was worth every penny. :)
A mind once stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimensions - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr

Ankle sprains: Trail runners get them, soccer players hate them, and b-ballers suffer them frequently. Chances are high that if you’re an athlete, you’ve had one or two in the past yourself. The most common type of ankle sprain is an inversion sprain, in which the foot rolls inward and ligaments of the lateral ankle are injured. - See more at: http://www.mensfitness.com/training/pro-tips/4-exercises-bulletproof-your-ankle-joints#sthash.ePUf1RA4.dpuf
Oil Gas Safety Council values the contribution Safety Professionals make to achieve the vision of accident free and safer workplace.
http://ogsc.org/

jumpwally

I remember doing PLF's under t-10's and para's but they had little or no forward speed,,for the like of me i can't visualize how to do a PLF with forward speed....B|

Like I've always said . . .

High rate of descent, low forward speed = PLF
Low rate of descent, high forward speed = slide
High rate of descent, high forward speed = you're f*ucked!
But you should still clamp your feet and knees together.

BTW, I've done all 3 of these landings. :S:D