woodpecker

line sets

Specifically: when looking/inspecting your line set, what stands out or should you look for that is the tell tell sign you need new ones?

Just a question that popped into my head while repacking my rig here at work.

Damn I need to jump.

thanks in advance,

Billy
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

It somewhat depends on what type of lines you have. Your profile says you jump a pilot, which would more than likely have Spectra lines. The biggest problem with Spectra is that over time, the heat generated by friction shrinks the lines, eventually getting to the point where the canopy doesn't fly nearly the same as it did when it was new. It can lead to wonky openings, and signifigantly decreased performance. The only way to check for line shrinkage is to measure the line trim. I'm not as familiar with Aerodyne, but I believe PD has a good article on how to measure line trim on their website, and you can probably get line trim specs from Aerodyne. You can also just have your rigger do this. As far as a visual inspection, check for fraying, excessive dirt, broken stitches, etc... If you have aramid lines such as HMA or vectran, which don't have shrinking problems like Spectra does, wear is the main thing to check for. If the lines show just about any amount of "fuzzing," it's probably time for new lines. As for jump numbers, it seems everyone has their own opinion, but I think about 500-600 jumps on Spectra lines, or 400-500 jumps on Aramid lines is about average. Hope this answers your question.
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

Specifically: when looking/inspecting your line set, what stands out or should you look for that is the tell tell sign you need new ones?

Just a question that popped into my head while repacking my rig here at work.

Damn I need to jump.

thanks in advance,

Billy

For me (Spectre w/ spectra) it was longer and longer opennings which was verified to be a trim issue. (a problem for me as I occasionally need to hop-n-pop from just over 2k.)

While a retrim would have worked (line condition was fine), I chose for several reasons to go with a new line set.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...