skymama

Skydiving promo on GMA

She said she was on her first AFF jump. The main opened fine but then went into a spin so she cutaway. Then, the reserve went into a spin. You can hear her boyfriend yelling at her to pump the brakes on the video. She said that when she realized that she couldn't fix the spin, she just let go of the toggles and started praying.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

15 minutes of fame.
Interestingly enough people can go from hero to zero in less than 60 seconds.
I hope that the "real" story will be out there soon. When it happens I have to wonder how that will impact skydiving as a whole. Ummmm skydivers...crazy for jumping out of perfectly good airplanes...and dishonest too?
Great.:S

i did my part. i have invited oprah to read these forums and talk to REAL skydivers for accurate information. i like the idea of making our reaction bigger than the story.

I don't know if shes ready for the bonfire ...[:/] might not be a good idea ...:o

hmmmm... let me get this straight. we want the media to know the truth, but only the part we want them to know....

this forum is representative of US, whether we like it or not. we are human, have flaws, and sometimes react emotionally and hang our stuff out there to be slapped and kicked around.

if i wrote an essay on the media's attention to this story, objecting to their selective reporting, it would be just as easy for them to pick key sentences out of that essay and make me look any way they wanted in order to slant the story. that danger is always there.

this forum is open for ANYONE to view, like it or not. that is one reason there are PREVIEW POST and DELETE buttons here. if you don't want someone to read it, don't post it!

Had a woman at work tell me it was on british morning TV.

Needless to say they reported it as a double mal. :|

Yup I saw it. It was just a 30s thing with the footage. Pretty much said what has been said in america:
First jump
Double mal
Found out she was pregnant after she went to hospital.

They only showed the footage of her under her reserve, and to me it just looked like a high slider with maybe 1 break fired. Thats what made me think it might be a little BS.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

Now she's going to be on the extended version of the Today show!

She's saying different things now. She said on this show that it was her 6th dive and that her reserve was spinning because there was a tension knot in the line and the slider wouldn't come down.
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

It's frustrating to me that some people have to use their mistakes to profit.

It's frustrating to me that, so far this morning, 14,322 co-workers of mine have e-mailed me this story, 9,181 of them have called me about it, and 6,875 have come into my office to talk about it. :S>:(

Blues,
Dave

You think YOU'VE got it bad...

:ph34r:

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

My husband caught this story on CNN (while away on business) in his hotel room. He was in a state of panic as he is telling me "turn to CNN, quick". Of course I had already read about it here so I was able to explain what happened (or at least what I read here).

He felt much better after that and actually could tell the slider was too high. I'm sure I'll be doing a lot of explaining the next few days, as will all of you. Don't you just love the media?:)
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

Now the ladies on The View are talking about it. Joy just said it is abusive for a pregnant woman to skydive. Star thinks skydivers are just crazy to jump out of perfectly good airplanes and wondered about the insurance that these places carry. Elizabeth said there's no way that a mother would want to skydive after having children and that skydivers should be very careful about who they let pack their chutes because, "some of those people don't look too bright. " :ph34r: Meredith was the only one not freaking out about it.

Joy just said it is abusive for a pregnant woman to skydive.

Abusive to who? I really doubt that if someone was pregnant and decided to skydive that anyone was pushing them out of the plane :S

I'm so glad I don't watch tv.

Jen
Arianna Frances

Ok, after 800 posts I'm sort of confused -

What was the real problem ??

1) Did she cut away a perfectly good main? -Why?
2) Did the reserve have tension knots, with slider up, or was it a simpler toggle issue ???

Aside from all the media, money, gossip - BS,
as a student I'd like to know what really went wrong and what should have been done to correct the mal or double mal or no mal ???

Many of the details of this incident are in the Safety and Training section under the title of "student accident".

Shayna has never changed her story... she's just recalling it as a person with only 10 jumps would. Her biggest mistake with all the sensationalism is that she didn't rectify the media's bungles as soon as they made them. I talked to Rick yesterday and tried to impress to them the uproar the skydiving community was having and that's why she's went on to clarify a bit about the main opening fine, etc... She's just trying to get her story out there and trying to keep it positive... she's just young and a bit naive in thinking that the media will do her justice. It's a shame really... she should have had a manager or something...

I don't agree with the way they have gone about getting the story out there, but I can understand it.

Personally I have to laugh at a lot of the statements from those that know her and the details of the story and how they are "twisting them" to skew them that much more... It amazes me of the bullshit I've read in these forums and how even after weeks of talking about it at home they still can't get their facts exactly right or how they keep harping on one thing in particular as if by bitching about it constantly will get it to change on it's own. I can only imagine some of the lies that are being sent to tv stations across the country that are being promoted as truth. Oh well... I guess if you've ever made a skydive before you are an expert and have a valuable point of reference into this case. What amazes me is that most of his peers on here from his home dropzone haven't even tried to contact Rick and help him at least coach Shayna to tell her story in a more detailed manner as to not leave so many holes in her story... They'd rather just log on to here and bitch. Well, Rick and Shayna don't get on here or at least not often at all so they won't see it for some time.

It's just a waste of good typing really. They aren't bad people... they weren't even aware people were getting upset until I talked to Rick yesterday...

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer

Abusive of the mother toward the child? I don't agree with it, but that's probaby what she was going for.

Yeah, I think that's what she was going for.

oh please. Why aren't they harping on the ones that smoke throughout their pregnancies instead? Most woman who continue to skydive in their pregnancies are experienced enough to not do anything risky... its truely pathetic the type of publicity this is getting.

Jen
Arianna Frances

Most woman who continue to skydive in their pregnancies are experienced enough to not do anything risky

Except that skydiving itself is inherently risky. I kept jumping when I was pregnant, and yes I did take down the intensity a notch.

But it's still riskier than walking down most streets, and folks in general are way more risk-averse than they used to be.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)