Copycat

Reflex reserve packing?

Hello!
Some time ago I bought a (non-airworthy) Reflex h/c to help funding of a dropzone.
Since I started skydiving I've been interested in rigging (I'm a packer at Skydive Tortuga, Arezzo).

I found the user manual (in pdf) to try packing the reserve (the freebag is full of sweaters and t-shirts) but looking at it is like looking at chinese kanji.

The container came with a 40cm cypres loop and disc and I can't understand yet what do I do with all of it.
So far I got the T bodkin through the freebag (in its place) and folded the bridle.

If anyone is bored and wants to help a wannabe rigger, I'd appreciate very much any guidance!

(I've now downloaded the Racer's manual since it's similar and design, can it be packed the same way?)

Reflex manual in full can be downloaded here

Racers and Reflex's aren't packed the same way.

Thanks!
Same to BrianM and PhreeZone =)

I will notify www.tridenthc.com and www.bombermfg.com that the manual hosted at their site has some pages missing.

Anyway, I still can't figure out what the guy is doing with the cypres loop and disc. (page 9, figure 6-6 in the manual, picture attached)

Anyway, I still can't figure out what the guy is doing with the cypres loop and disc. (page 9, figure 6-6 in the manual, picture attached)

The loop in the picture has three ends: one end has a CYPRES disc, one has the actual loop that the ripcord pin will go through, the third is a loose end that will be used to tighten the loop after the container is closed.

The CYPRES disc is on the end that is on the left side of the picture (by the person's right index finger). The loop passes up through the grommet on the edge of the PC cap, so the CYPRES disc will end up on the underside of the edge of the cap. The loop end then goes down through the grommet in the end of the PC cap (that is the end that is held in the person's left hand, the person is just about to insert that end into the center of the PC). The loose end will continue across the PC cap to the side opposite the CYPRES disc.

Edited to add attachment: This is a side view of the PC cap. The cap is in black (with gaps for the grommets), the CYPRES disc is red, the loop is blue. Hopefully this helps. Sorry for the poor artistic abilities, I'm at work and only have MS Paint available.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

Thanks Brian for taking your time!
I understood you entirely and your graphic was very helpful.
But now I realized that I was using the loop the rig came with the wrong way.
It has just two ends (and I can't feel any loop going inside and hidden) so I'm missing a knot or to do something with the holes of the disc.

This is what I have (the red and blue is the line under the disc), the yellow is tied in a loop (this is where the pin goes?)

Thanks again!

It has just two ends (and I can't feel any loop going inside and hidden) so I'm missing a knot or to do something with the holes of the disc.

This is what I have (the red and blue is the line under the disc), the yellow is tied in a loop (this is where the pin goes?)

You are right, that is not correct.

The big loop formed by the CYPRES disc shouldn't be there. No big deal, just pull on the long (yellow) end with one hand, and the disc with the other, until there is no loop there.

Yes, the yellow end is where the pin goes. The end that has been fingertrapped inside should come back out at some point to provide the third end - the end that is used to tighten the loop. You should be able to pull the fingertrap right out and redo it. I think the fingertrapped end should come back out at the point where the loop goes through the center grommet, but I'm not 100% sure - I haven't packed one of those in two or three years.

No, the yellow loop is just there to make snugging the closing loop easier.

My guess is that in the process of disassembly, the closing loop got turned inside out. Look for the braid to change (invert) about 2-1/2 to 3 inches from where the cord is knotted at the disk. If this is this case, your closing loop is not usable and you'll have to make a new one.

To make a new closing loop:

Start with a 36" length of Cypres line.
1. First, secure the end of the Cypres line to the disk.
2. Make a mark 2.5" from the disk. This is where the fingertrap section for the pin (not for snugging) will begin. 2.5" is about the distance between the grommets in the pilot chute cap.
3. Make another mark 1.5" from the first mark (4" from the disk). This is the end of the fingertrap section. This 1.5" length is important. Too short, and the fingertrap may slip. Too long, and the fingertrap may bottom out before the pack is tight enough.
4. Fingertrap the running end of the line, inserting at the second mark and emerging at the first mark. Leave a generous (4" or so) loop.
5. If you want, finish the running end of the line with a loop like the yellow one in your diagram.

To install:

The Cypres disk goes on the bottom side of the grommet in the edge of the pilot chute crown. The line goes up through the grommet. The generous loop dangles down through the grommet in the pilot chute crown, but the running end stays on top. "Dangles" isn't quite right, since that's the loop that gets pulled through the pack job. You leave it a little long to make it easy to pull through and pin, then shorten the loop by pulling on the running end of the line.

Mark

Yeah, Mark is right, the yellow end is the "loose" end, the fingertrapped loop for the pin would have been in the middle somewhere and got pulled out. I stand corrected (thanks Mark!).

I did a forum search for "Reflex loop" and found this thread:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=976422;search_string=reflex%20loop;#976422
which contains a link to this site:
http://www.tridenthc.com/closingloop.htm
which will give you a diagram to go with Mark's instructions.

I don't mean to haijack this thread, but I'd like to see the drag coefficients of the Reflex Coke-bottle-sized reserve pilot chute. [:/]

Is it really too small? Thankfully I haven't seen any other RPCs. Pic attached.

You should be able to pull the fingertrap right out and redo it. I think the fingertrapped end should come back out at the point where the loop goes through the center grommet

That's the other problem... I have no loop going inside itself after the tied loop end (yellow).
It was probably cut?

Then, I wasn't sure about the meaning of "fingertrapped", googled it, and the second result was (surprisingly) this one:
http://www.tridenthc.com/closingloop.htm

My loop is nowhere near 36", I'm now sure I'm missing the third end entirely.

Thanks to you now I understand how to do it. I just found my cypres came with some 60" of loop, so I'll try to make the Reflex loop out of it according to the instructions and your explanations.

Thanks so much Brian, if you ever come to Italy, you have a ticket on me (and a packjob and a beer if you come to Skydive Tortuga in Arezzo!)

:D

No, the yellow loop is just there to make snugging the closing loop easier.

My guess is that in the process of disassembly, the closing loop got turned inside out. Look for the braid to change (invert) about 2-1/2 to 3 inches from where the cord is knotted at the disk. If this is this case, your closing loop is not usable and you'll have to make a new one.

Oh heck! You're right!! I can see it's inverted right there!
Thanks for the detailed instructions, Mark, you have a ticket, a beer and a packjob on me at Skydive Tortuga as well!

Blue skies and thanks so much for making this a good place for rigging illiterates like me who wish to learn!

You guys are fantastic B|

Hello!
Some time ago I bought a (non-airworthy) Reflex h/c to help funding of a dropzone.
Since I started skydiving I've been interested in rigging (I'm a packer at Skydive Tortuga, Arezzo).

I found the user manual (in pdf) to try packing the reserve (the freebag is full of sweaters and t-shirts) but looking at it is like looking at chinese kanji.

The container came with a 40cm cypres loop and disc and I can't understand yet what do I do with all of it.
So far I got the T bodkin through the freebag (in its place) and folded the bridle.

If anyone is bored and wants to help a wannabe rigger, I'd appreciate very much any guidance!

(I've now downloaded the Racer's manual since it's similar and design, can it be packed the same way?)

Try these.

Mick.