chutingstar

Wings Midflap Service Bulletin #08325

Sunrise Rigging just sent out a service bulletin for its mid-flaps of the W1-1EXT, W5-1EXT and W4, as well as a main packing addendum.

It's in a .pdf file that I can't upload as an attachment and it's not on their web site yet. Anyone out there can help get the .pdf file uploaded if I send it to you?

Here's the cover page text:

Date: 31 March 2008 Service Bulletin #: 08325 # of pages: 6
Subject: Mid-flap stiffener update and main packing addendum
Identification:
• Recommended: W1-1EXT, W5-1EXT, W4,

Background:
Following two incidents with the same canopy pilot wherein a small diameter line was caught under the mid-flap plastic stiffener resulting in a main malfunction and line on main to not release from container. Sunrise Manufacturing recommends updating the mid-flap pin protector to increase flexion on the mid-flap.

Service Bulletin:
This Service Bulletin removes the tip of the plastic stiffener contained in the mid-flap pin protector.

Authority:
Henri Pohjolainen, President
Sunrise Manufacturing Inc.
5260 Fort King Rd.
Zephyrhills, FL
(813) 788-1910
Distribution:
All registered owners affected by the service bulletin
All Sunrise Manufacturing, Inc. Dealers
Parachuting Publications

There is also photos and directions to complete the work as well as photos of stowing the main canopy lines.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

"Following two incidents with the same canopy pilot wherein a small diameter line was caught under the mid-flap plastic stiffener resulting in a main malfunction and line on main to not release from container..."

Holy crap. He was lucky to survive this. Twice! He shoulda done something about it after the first time...

line was caught under the mid-flap plastic stiffener

I'm trying to imagine how that could happen and I can't. Can someone elaborate?

"If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?"

has anyone else had this same failure mode present? or is this just this one guy?... I'm wondering why sunrise would throw out an SB even though it's only recommended because of this? I've never heard of this being a problem on a wings before.. maybe they have been a rash or them or something and I didn't notice it.. I'd probably look at this one guy's packing and stowing technique ... just seems a bit odd to me.. thankfully this one isn't mandatory.. any one else wonder how exactly to cut a line with scissors, excluding the binding tape, remove the stiffener and reattach the piece of cordura without it looking like hell?
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com
What's YOUR Zombie Plan?

has anyone else had this same failure mode present? or is this just this one guy?... I'm wondering why sunrise would throw out an SB even though it's only recommended because of this? I've never heard of this being a problem on a wings before.. maybe they have been a rash or them or something and I didn't notice it.. I'd probably look at this one guy's packing and stowing technique ... just seems a bit odd to me.. thankfully this one isn't mandatory.. any one else wonder how exactly to cut a line with scissors, excluding the binding tape, remove the stiffener and reattach the piece of cordura without it looking like hell?

Use a razor. It shouldn't be difficult at all. Precision. Precision.

Cheers,
Travis

As the bag left the container one of the lines looped around the main flap. There was a small gap between the seam that held the main flap to the container and where the stiffener in the flap started. The line caught between the seam and the bottom of the stiffener. When the canapy started to deploy it put tension on the main flap and tied the loop to the flap.

Reserve was cleanly deployed past the trailing main both times.

Jumper has over 5,000 jumps and has not had any packing issues. Long time wings user with multiple wings canopies.

Blue skies,

Jim

Thanks, but from what you've described I don't see the relation between that problem and the SB...I must be missing something, right? I'll get mine out when I get home to try to make sense of it.

"If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?"

line was caught under the mid-flap plastic stiffener

I'm trying to imagine how that could happen and I can't. Can someone elaborate?

+1.
I cant too

I'm with you guys. I can't picture this.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

This sounds very familiar to the thread I was just reading about a performance variable rig that had a problem with lines getting hitched around the mid flap.

B|

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Sunrise Rigging just sent out a service bulletin for its mid-flaps of the W1-1EXT, W5-1EXT and W4, as well as a main packing addendum.

It's in a .pdf file that I can't upload as an attachment and it's not on their web site yet. Anyone out there can help get the .pdf file uploaded if I send it to you?

Here's the cover page text:

Date: 31 March 2008 Service Bulletin #: 08325 # of pages: 6
Subject: Mid-flap stiffener update and main packing addendum
Identification:
• Recommended: W1-1EXT, W5-1EXT, W4,

Background:
Following two incidents with the same canopy pilot wherein a small diameter line was caught under the mid-flap plastic stiffener resulting in a main malfunction and line on main to not release from container. Sunrise Manufacturing recommends updating the mid-flap pin protector to increase flexion on the mid-flap.

Service Bulletin:
This Service Bulletin removes the tip of the plastic stiffener contained in the mid-flap pin protector.

Authority:
Henri Pohjolainen, President
Sunrise Manufacturing Inc.
5260 Fort King Rd.
Zephyrhills, FL
(813) 788-1910
Distribution:
All registered owners affected by the service bulletin
All Sunrise Manufacturing, Inc. Dealers
Parachuting Publications

There is also photos and directions to complete the work as well as photos of stowing the main canopy lines.

Mike

Like most, I can't "see" the problem/solution...
For those with one in the shop, please see if you can post of pic of what the snag scenario looks like...

Also, while the SB is fairly straight forward, I can't say its the most "finished" looking change... Would be nice to see an option to open the first stiches on the binding tape and trap the type 3 under the tape... a simple overstich around the horn would make it clean looking.

Interesting that one of their recommended pack methods in the addendum is the old "split-stow" that some of us have used for YEARS!!!! B|

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

1. To me it would be more descriptive to call it a main PIN COVER FLAP bulletin, not a MID FLAP bulletin.

... although yes they are part of the same assembly, and Sunrise call it the "mid-flap pin protector" in the main text of the bulletin.

2. Gemini described a situation that seems different from what the bulletin addresses.

a)The bulletin modifies the last couple inches at the tip of the pin cover flap.
b) The bulletin mentions a line catching "under the mid flap". Given their terminology it isn't quite clear where that happened, especially given the confusion over the mid flap vs. pin cover flap terminology.
c) Gemini told about a case where a line apparently caught in the soft fold area where the pin cover flap turns into the mid flap.

All a bit unclear to me.

3. Sunrise doesn't make it clear how making the tip of the pin cover flap more flexible will solve whatever problem we're talking about. Sounds like it would just make it easier to have the pin cover flap pop open. (But something unclear to me isn't necessarily unclear to them.)

4. What's different with the stiffeners or construction of just the W1-1EXT, W5-1EXT, & W4 listed in the bulletin? (Not that they have to tell us.)

I just like having bulletins give a little bit of real rigging insight.

I am picturing this in my mind.

http://www.sky-adventures.de/Unfall/Bilder-Guta/DSC05705.jpg

This link was taken from this thread about a Performance Variable container. http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=1726796;page=2;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Now I can't wait to take a look at one of my friends Wings rigs.

Here is what I am visualizing in my non rigger mind: if the plastic doesn't run the whole length of the flap then it gives you a soft place in the flap where a line can hitch around and cinch down. The line would have a hard time sliding off because it would cinch the soft part of the flap and would get caught on the larger part of the flap with the plastic.

Am I warm??
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

It is exactly the same problem!

By removing the stiffner from the tip of the main pin cover flap, it allows the mid flap to flex more which will move it up and away from the D bag at deployment.

This reduces the chance of a line snagging on the mid flap.

With the original stiffner in place, the mid flap could not flex out of the way and extended over the D bag. As the D bag deployed, it was moving past the mid flap and the lines would pull past the mid flap as well.

The mid flap is the part of the container that holds both the reserve and main pin. The main pin cover flap is the part that folds up and over the main pin; tucks into the mid flap slit. The main pin cover flap is part of the mid flap. The lines were snagging on the mid flap not the pin cover flap.

It looks like a good fix.

Note that it applies to the smaller container sizes.

Blue skies,

Jim