Rebecca-Berlin

190 to 120?

My rig was stolen 5 days ago and some very nice people who heard about my plight on the internet are offering me free or cheap gear so that I can continue training.

One woman offered me her old rig because she has given up the sport, and it's just lying around her apartment. This was her rig:

Vector III micron, Stiletto 120, PD126R

I told her that I only have 320 jumps and the last 300 have been on a Silhouette 190. I said going from a 190 to a 120 without having done 170 and 150 in between sounds life-threatening to me, and declined her offer.

Was I a fool to say no to a free rig?
:o

But if I got it and sold it I wouldn't be true to her goal, which was to hand on the baton from a skydiver leaving the sport to a new one in desperate straits. She can sell it herself (and by the way, she didn't give me any DOMs, so it might be almost-out-of-date). Also, she found me through my old AFF teacher, so he would've probably told her if I ended up not jumping the rig. Somehow the selling it idea sounds like bad karma, and I've had enough of that this week.

In my opinion it depends on how much you actually weigh. According to your profile you're only loading that 190 at .42, which is very very light. It's not very common for people to have a 1.0 wing loading for their first rig.
How much do you actually weigh? I'm sure that you are used to KG over in Europe. If you google "unit converter", several websites will pop up. Pick one and find out your actual weight in LBS. Tale your weight, add 20 pounds for gear and divide that by 120... That will give you your wing loading on that canopy.

Jumping from .9 to 1.4 would be pretty extreme. One thing that you could have done is take the 120 out of the rig and sold it or traded it for something like a 135 Sabre2. If you took it easy at first you would have probably been fine on that.

You did the right thing for Karma and safety. The 1:1 wingloading for new people stops at 150sq/ft. Unless the canopy was as small as the container will take, you wouldn't get a 150 in it.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.