scp

What's the name of these things that protect the links from the repeated beatings from the slider?

That just looks like some nylon (maybe Type 4) sewn loosely around the links (usually around rapide links) to protect both the grommet from the link and vice versa. Less bulky than plastic tubing links and demanding less space against the riser covers when the rig is packed.
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Are these the famous "Slinks riser covers"?

yes, they are bumpers, they take the place of the silicone rubber ones that were used on RAPIDE links
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

2 things:

-Are these nylon protectors compatible with Slink riser covers? Can you have both installed, therefore increasing protection between the links and grommets? It would be only for people who are not interested in putting the slider behind their heads.

-Where can I find information about different types of nylon used in parachutes? I keep hearing about Type III loops, Type 17 risers, Type 8 risers, Type 4 nylon,...etc and I have no idea what they mean, Are all those types explained in any book? The Parachute Manual by Dan Poynter maybe?

You install one kind of bumpers. Stacking them doesn't help and also they need to be attached (tacked or other method) to the top of the riser to prevent them from travelling up the lines.

And they generally DO prevent the slider from coming down behind your head
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

2 things:

-Are these nylon protectors compatible with Slink riser covers? Can you have both installed, therefore increasing protection between the links and grommets? It would be only for people who are not interested in putting the slider behind their heads.

-Where can I find information about different types of nylon used in parachutes? I keep hearing about Type III loops, Type 17 risers, Type 8 risers, Type 4 nylon,...etc and I have no idea what they mean, Are all those types explained in any book? The Parachute Manual by Dan Poynter maybe?

Thats exactly where you can find the information

The Sky's not the limit, the ground is. Fear Nothing, Regret Less.

Slinks are NOT riser covers. Slinks are PD's brand of soft links that are used in place of metal Rapide (or French) links. Aerodyne and Precision offer there own version of soft links. Soft links use line as the load bearing link between suspension lines and risers.

For the most part slider bumpers protect the slider gromments from metal links. Sliders don't need this protection from soft links. Soft links also allow the slider to be pulled down and still have more strength than 3.5 or 4 size metal links.

There are "covers" for soft links but they are stops for the slider. They PREVENT the slider from coming down over the risers for those who want soft links but don't want to pull their slider down or have it come down too far on opening.

Also download the Parachute Rigging Manual from the FAA website.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I have been searching the FAA website for 2 hours, I found the Parachute Riggers Handbook, examples of exams, certification sheets, and a lot more, but I haven't been able to find the Parachute Rigging Manual, could you help find it please?[:/] I don't think it's in the FAA site.

I have been searching the FAA website for 2 hours, I found the Parachute Riggers Handbook, examples of exams, certification sheets, and a lot more, but I haven't been able to find the Parachute Rigging Manual, could you help find it please?[:/] I don't think it's in the FAA site.

Its the Parachute Riggers Handbook... PRH. You found it.

Now go slap Councilman24 around for making you look so hard for something that does not exist.

Thanks tdog you rock, in fact everyone here kicks ass, skydiving is such a wonderful sport when everything goes ok, when shit hits the fan it turns ugly, it's a big sport with so many people but at the same time a tight community, people can rely on eachother, I hope someday when I have more knowledge and experience to be able to help others and give advice like you guys.

Its the Parachute Riggers Handbook... PRH. You found it.

Now go slap Councilman24 around for making you look so hard for something that does not exist.
or go slap yourself around for not being able to deduce they were one and the same:S:S
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

or go slap yourself around for not being able to deduce they were one and the same:S:S

Nah... This guy, albeit seemingly new, has the FAA figured out... The FAA WOULD publish two different documents with two different names so close in name the entire community would be confused.:P

*sigh*

scp,

I applaud your desire to learn. Never stop trying to learn in this sport. If you think you know everything, you may find out the hard way (Serious Injury or DEATH), that you do not.

However, at this point in your jump career, you may be better off buying a case of beer and hanging out at the DZ with a bunch of the experienced jumpers & riggers after a day of jumping B.S.ing about gear, asking questions (like your OP about bumpers) rather than posting on DZ.com and/or trying to digest MegaBits of info in the FAA Rigger's Manual download... :S:P:D;):)