fasted3

Leg straps

I'm not flexible enough to bend my legs into my leg straps after putting rig on my shoulders so its the messy place-rig-on-bench-or-hold-low-and-step-through-straps-first technique for me.

+1. It's quite unlikely you will forget the leg straps with this technique for the unflexible.

Did you really mean to make my point for me?
IF Scoop truely does ALWAYS put on his leg straps first, FOR WHATEVER REASON, I don't see any way he will EVER find himself on the plane with no leg straps.

Am I overconfident with Scoop?
Or is this simply an example of a particular technique that happens to result with zero possibility of making a particular miatake?

Now if you analyze your technique, is there anything you can do to help prevent mistakes? Have a problem with leg straps? Put em on first, and don't go on till they are.
Misrouted chest strap? NEVER do it wrong. Either make it right or take it apart.
I am disappointed with the response to my threads on this subject. I admit that it is very basic, and perhaps some are resentful that I am simply stating the obvious, but the fact remains that this is sometimes a problem, and I for one am not ready to accept the idea that skydivers are incapable of getting their equipment on right, Every time.
I have offered my thoughts on how we can ALWAYS get this right. If you see a better way to do that, let's hear it. If all you have to offer is 'oh well, that won't work.'
Then I say STFU.
I believe that we can do better.
Maybe there are some that will look at the poll results and ask themselves what exactly is the benefit of being a #4? And should they choose to be a #1 or 2, would they almost completely eliminate one possible problem?
Sure, they still have a ton of things ahead of them.
Let's make sure they start solving those things with their gear on.
M;kay?
But what do I know?

MY legstraps have big metal snaps on them, pretty freakin' hard to forget to put them on.

Just to plant a seed of thought, next time you're doing the Gumby dance putting on a rig...think about how you might get it off quick should you find yourself in water, or having to crawl through the window of a burning aircraft. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Good thought.
There are pros and cons to the snap ons.
Funny, my first fear is forgetting to hook them up.

As for the rest, I wear a big ass wing suit. I'm the furthest from the door, and unless my parachute doesn't come out, I don't want anything to do with water. ;)

Those things don't keep me from thinking about it, and devising plans.
I think you understand what I've been saying on here better than most.
A professional learns the value of routines.
With built in check points.
Getting your gear on right is ths least of your problems.
But you get it on right, every time...
You do...
right?

But what do I know?

I haven't been keeping up to date with incidents but have gathered from some of the posts (and probably the reason for this thread starting) that there was an incident recently where someone jumped without their leg straps on?

Where this happened, was there no flight-line checking?

I jump in the UK normally and on every lift once you've checked your own gear etc and suited up, before you get on the plane someone has to check your gear over as well to double check it is ok and then sign the manifest showing that they've done so. I thought this was the norm until I went to Sweden for jumping last summer and was surprised to find that this practice didn't happen where I was jumping.

Now I'm not saying that people should gear up with llittle concentration then rely on the person checking to spot their mistakes (if any), but the double check by someone else has spotted things people have missed.

I'm assuming there wasn't a flightline check for the person who jumped without the legstraps on, but if there had been maybe the incident could have been avoided?

I am a novice jumper with a little over 100 jumps, so apologies for any ignorance I am showing in this post! Also apologies in advance if this topic has been discussed at length in the past and for any can of worms that may have just been opened by making this post!
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

I'd like to keep this on topic, but real quick response. He had on A wingsuit so the leg straps were not readily visible as they were covered by the fabric of the suit.

Thanks! At least now should the situation every arise where I have to flightline check a wingsuit, I'll know to ask "are your leg straps on?"... It is a great shame that for lessons to be learned mistakes usually have to be made. :|
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

I'd like to keep this on topic, but real quick response. He had on A wingsuit so the leg straps were not readily visible as they were covered by the fabric of the suit.

Thanks! At least now should the situation every arise where I have to flightline check a wingsuit, I'll know to ask "are your leg straps on?"... It is a great shame that for lessons to be learned mistakes usually have to be made. :|

From what I read about the incident, the deceased was asked if his leg straps were on.

I am too old and too stiff to ever attempt such contortions.

Same here. For that simple fact, it is not a question of having them on or not. If I'm geared up, I do.

It is a nice side effect that I haven't forgotten them.

Anyway, thanks for the responses and votes.
My main purpose was to voice my opinion that the sooner you put your leg straps on, the less likely you are to forget to put them on at all.
Some have expressed the opinion that it makes no difference.
If so, we shall agree to disagree.
:)
But what do I know?

Oh -- and I put my leg straps on first, and then fasten my chest strap. I have my altimeter on my chest strap, so the chances of forgetting it are pretty doggone small.

Pretty much what Wendy says, only I don't mount my alti on the chest strap. But I get the comfiest fit if hold the rig up right where I want it on my back and tighten my chest strap, then tighten the leg straps. Not only makes for the best fit, but assures attention to the chest strap as well as the legs.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I am a novice jumper with a little over 100 jumps, so apologies for any ignorance I am showing in this post! Also apologies in advance if this topic has been discussed at length in the past and for any can of worms that may have just been opened by making this post!

You didn't but I did.
I have been informed that my recent comments have indicated that I am blaming or pointing fingers in regard to this incident.
For the record: I was not there, nor do I know any more than I have read on these forums.
I do not know who was involved with this incident, and I am not blaming any instructor, coach, friend, or anybody else.

My main point in the first place was to stress that the ultimate responsibility for our gear lies with us.

Saying it should never happen was meant to be a general statement, and I was more referring to looking forward than looking back.
However, I can see where this could be misinterpreted, and I am sorry if it was.

Had I been there, I don't think I could have influenced any of the factors that may have played a part in the incident, or changed the outcome.

My statements have also not been meant to minimize the fact that this was a low number wingsuitor. I readily acknowledge that it may well have been a major factor, and my choice to address the gear issue was not meant to disagree or downplay that assessment.
But what do I know?

Agreed.
Thats my procedure but without the bench!!

For me its:
Hold rig, step through fully slackened leg straps.
Lift up and put arms through shoulder straps.

Check and tighten chest strap correctly.

Tighten leg straps.

Check all straps once again ;)
because Im paranoid.

Thats the way I was taught and Im sticking with it!!

Therein lies the very value in this sort of discussion (and why the forums exist).
If the thread gets people thinking about the subject, even if it's a "...can you believe what this guy said..." then it's a valuable thread.
Consistency, regardless of your flavor of gearing up, is the key. Muscle memory isn't just for freefall, y'know?

I have a tendency to shrug probably like 5 times before i exit to make sure my leg straps are tight enough. I also do a full gear check at least twice. My instinct to live is pretty powerful. :P

As do I. My check rhythm is "Eenie, meanie, minie mo, catch a tiger by the toe."
Shrug, shrug, chest strap, hackey, cutaway, reserve, wingclip/wing, wingclip/wing.

1. inspect then throw my rig on

2. fasten chest strap

3. grab left ankle place it through leg strap

4. grab right ankle place it through leg strap

5. tighten/adjust leg straps evenly, roll and tuck excess webbing into leg pad pocket.

6. tighten/adjust chest strap.

7. check out my bruthas/sistas gear(s)

8. proceed towards the aircraft.

I'm a creature of habit and this works for me, I don't head towards the ship unless my gear is on 100%.
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell