scp

Buying my first rig, help with these expressions, totally new to me

I'm on the UPT website right now checking out the options

http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22

there are some things I don't know what they are:

-center flap A-G (2-7)
-type III loops
-VGH harness
-1 piece and 2 piece leg straps this is an obvious one but could someone post pic of each one to see the differences please?
-type 17 and type 8 risers

I always hear the riggers talk about nylon type "this" type "that", where can I find info about all the different types of loops, nylon, and risers there are?[:/]

Typically buiying new for a first rig is not a great idea. The container will have to be sized to fit large canopies, close to the size youare jumping as a student/renter. Within 100 or 200 jumps you'll most likely be jumping canopies a few sizes smaller than that (as your experience builds) and your container will be too large for them.

Additionally, you stand a better chance of beating the shit out of a rig as a newbie, and it's a shame to do that to a brand new container.

If you are going to buy new, find a dealer to work with (even if it's over the phone) or consult your DZO regrarding the options and how to set up your rig.

Typically buiying new for a first rig is not a great idea. The container will have to be sized to fit large canopies, close to the size youare jumping as a student/renter.

Depends on your initial canopy and body size and goals...

I put 1000 jumps on my first container. 1.1 WL to 1.45 WL capable.

Also - a new container you can sell after a few hundred jumps for a good chunk of change to another newbie... But I would never let someone buy a rig that accommodates a larger than 1.0 WL canopy unless the person is petite.

-center flap A-G (2-7)

UPT has a few different design options for the center flap, basically the main chunk of fabric that covers the main and reserve across the center of the rig. These are all cosmetic. By cutting and sewing the fabric, there are split designs, lighting bolt designs, etc. On the UPT website you can see photos of each. Pay more = get something unique. I have the lighting bolt design, and I liked it in photos when I ordered my rig, but not so happy in real life.

-type III loops

I assume you are asking about the "type III loops on the leg pads". Type III is a type of webbing or tape, each material has a model number that comes from the military history of skydiving. What matters to you - these loops will hold a bungee cord tight across you butt, so as you sitfly your legstraps will not work their way down your legs. A.K.A. "freefly bungee" or "freefly strap".

-VGH harness

Variable Geometry Harness... Most manufactures have a name for a design where additional hardware is inserted in the harness webbing allowing the harness bend at key points. Without the hardware you have to 'fold' the harness webbing at these points, and the folds can dig into you and/or restrict movement. With the hardware, the harness slides to new angles around the metal rings. An extreme analogy. A 2X4 board can be bent - slightly. Cut it and add a hinge, and it can bend very easy. Good news - skydiving rigs are not made out of 2X4s, so you don't need this option...

As per the UPT site: Our standard harness has fixed leg pads. We also produce harnesses with hip rings which some people prefer for more flexibility. This option is available in a one piece or two piece leg pad.

-1 piece and 2 piece leg straps this is an obvious one but could someone post pic of each one to see the differences please?

-type 17 and type 8 risers

Most people of average weight get type 17, the narrower risers. Some feel the narrow risers are not strong enough for very large skydivers, however one manufacture basically said, "I rather have a riser break than the harness - so if a large skydiver has a opening hard enough to destroy hardware, it should be the stuff that can be cut away.... Not their own body or the harness."

Again, the "type" is a standard model number of the material used to make the risers. Per the UPT website: Type 17 is one inch wide and comes with mini rings; Type 8 is 123/32 inches wide and comes with large rings. Toggle keepers and dive loops are standard. Please specify length.

Most people of average weight get type 17, the narrower risers. Some feel the narrow risers are not strong enough for very large skydivers, however one manufacture basically said, "I rather have a riser break than the harness - so if a large skydiver has a opening hard enough to destroy hardware, it should be the stuff that can be cut away.... Not their own body or the harness."

There are other reasons to get type 8 risers. The mechanical advantage of large rings is superior. Also, I have type 8 risers because I don't want my slider coming down over my toggles. A lot of newbies may have the same preference.

If you get a harness with large rings (usual for type 8 risers) you can fit type 17 risers to them without issue. You cannot, however, put type 8 risers with large rings onto a harness with small rings.

IMHO, many people have type 17 risers because that's what the cool guys jump. Type 8 work fine, and in many respects are superior.

- Dan G

You can get type 8 risers in both large and small ring so either harness hardware will work.

Yeah, I know, but I don't see the point of small rings on the harness if you are getting type 8 risers. You lose the mechanical advantage. If you're going planning on getting type 8 risers, I see no reason not to get large rings on your container.

- Dan G