skydemon2

Pillow for d bag

A master rigger told me to put some stiff foam in the main pack tray of the container. It goes against the part that is up against your back when you're wearing it. Hold it in with super tack in all 4 corners. He said to start with a 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch thickness for what I was needing. I have a Vector 1/V8 I think. It held my 215 Monarch pretty well, the 150 Stilleto was pretty loose. He said not to put foam in the D-bag because it won't last long.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Thanks I was thinking of some high density foam and cutting a 3 sided tray out, all the info I found said to sew it in but I was wondering if the was another way, velcro? I would like to be able to remove it easily and be able to switch canopies when I wanted. You know I want my cake and eat it too! :P (I dont know what super tack is? Glue?)

Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

If ya don't know what super tack is ya might just want to consult your local rigger. Any time you modify your rig you can increase the potential for an unanticipated problem.

I live with fear and terror, but sometimes I leave her and go skydiving.

I just looked up super tack at Paragear. $17 for a spool, E thread is $22. You might be able to sew in some velcro to hold the pad in but it probably won't stay put. If you don't have a spool of E thread you should get one, comes in handy if you need to replace a line or something. If you're just tacking the corners down it wouldn't be difficult to remove the foam later.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

If ya don't know what super tack is ya might just want to consult your local rigger. Any time you modify your rig you can increase the potential for an unanticipated problem.

I was also told that technically it's not legal because you're modifying the container, but it is commonly done. And by just tacking in the corners it will PROBABLY rip out in case of a snag. Still ask your rigger though.

Rigger said he could do it but I was looking for info on what was involved in making the pillow. So I could understand it and see if there was a way to make it a quick change, rather than sewing it in. I did not have the time to really get in depth with rigger so I thought Id post it here and see what I could find out.

Twelve hundred jumps and you don't know what super tack is? I guess, but since there is super tack in several places on your rig it would be good to know what it is.

As above was said while I was writing, do not do this by yourself. And IMHO it's not a good idea at all. Especially long term. I've seen padding in chest mount reserves along with several main containers. Including in one of mine. But any corner not secured or any other loose component could potentially trap a line or give it something to half hitch around or could trap a riser, pull a toggle loose, or cause some other unanticipated problem. Remember the container has to be tight enough for the main loop and pin to be secure.

For a few jumps to try a canopy in your own rig the pluses may out weigh the negatives. But I wouldn't recommend it for routine use. But it should be a semipermanent installation. Not something that you can change from jump to jump.

All that being said I know this has been done a lot over the years.

Super tack is the waxed, black flat cord or tape that is used to fasten the end of ripcord housings among other things. Look at the end of you reserve rc housing for the black heavy thread. (Unless yours is clamped.) 80 pound tensile strength is most common.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Sew-in on your Javelin would require either sewing through the backpad or partial disassembly of the container from the backpad.

I think I'd try a three-sided pocket like you imagined at first, but extend the top so you have a velcro-secured envelope. Tack the corners of the pocket to the pack tray. The empty envelope won't add any significant bulk, but you should be able to insert a foam spacer when needed -- just make sure the envelope is roomy enough.

Mark

I got it, its the heavy black thread, for some reason super tack made me think of glue. I'm not even sure I need one the container closes fine with the closing loop the same length as the bigger chute just the material is a little slack on the sides and in the bottom corners by the pilot chute. But I thought I would check into it in case I need it.

Supertacking a pillow is a simple way to do it.

Some sewing can be done but it works better on older gear without fancier thick padding in the backpad.

One end of the pillow doesn't even need velcro to allow access to the pillow to change the thickness. One can just have a flap of material that is sewn only at the two ends. It holds the foam in but can flex open enough to allow the foam to be changed if needed.

I've also seen or built pillows that fit up against the reserve container, sewn and or tacked to the reserve container, not just the backpad. It may be trickier to do, but instead of creating a flatter container space, it makes one that is shorter from top to bottom, which actually works better to match the d-bags on smaller canopies. The one on my rig has the ends open, so it is easy to pull the foam out to switch thicknesses, or even remove the foam entirely and press the flap against the reserve tray.