ccq

Name that Malfunction!

I remember one of out TI's talking about a cutaway he had. It was a low speed mal. Before he cut it away he said to the student, "Do you wanna see the parachute change colors?" The student not knowing what he meant said sure. He waited till on the ground to fully explain to the student what happened. :D:D:D

You would like to think that you could keep your cool in all incidents, but usually thinking the same as the students, Just get it fixed!
That is good though.(change color)
Killin this thread but what the hell, We had another Instructor who told a student after he had already chopped the main, saying- look at that parachute, someone had a serious problem and had to get rid of it.
she said are they ok, realizing her friends were on the same load, Jon replied yea, thier fine, she again said are you sure, he replied while looking up yea I'm pretty sure they are fine.
And then explained the whole thing when they got to the ground.
It was some good footage for the camera guys while he explained what happened.
I Am Sofa King We Todd Did!!

Killin this thread but what the hell, We had another Instructor who told a student after he had already chopped the main, saying- look at that parachute, someone had a serious problem and had to get rid of it.
she said are they ok, realizing her friends were on the same load, Jon replied yea, thier fine, she again said are you sure, he replied while looking up yea I'm pretty sure they are fine.
And then explained the whole thing when they got to the ground.
It was some good footage for the camera guys while he explained what happened.

That is great:D:D:D
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I have met this kindda guy. He really does not care who packs his rig, even a student under a licensed jumpers supervison.

Of course he doesn't care who packs his canopy, its not a velocity 111. Its a 215 sf canopy.

Rocket science is very simple compared to the complexity of a parachute......haha

You missed something. That guy was jumping a sub100 sqft Xaos.....

Rocket science was about packing....

You missed something. That guy was jumping a sub100 sqft Xaos.....

I have no idea what you are referring to.

The OP said he was jumping a Velocity 111. I responded to a guy that said packing is super easy who jumps a 215sf Monarch. Who also admitted to only packing 40 times.

What sub 100 Xaos are you talking about??

Also, from what I understand, packing parachutes is considered the highest form of rocket science :D:D

The OP said he was jumping a Velocity 111. I responded to a guy that said packing is super easy who jumps a 215sf Monarch. Who also admitted to only packing 40 times.

Does it matter if its the 1st, 2nd or 1000+1st packjob?

What sub 100 Xaos are you talking about??

I know someone else to also does not care who packs his gear.....

I packed my buddy a stepthrough earlier this year. Oops. Definatly not my normal course of action, but it still happend.

This is skydiving. You want to make damn sure you dont have a step through.....DONT SKYDIVE.

I had an Instructor pack me a step though! :o

control check and all good so landed it :)
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

You have to admit that after 3000+ jumps and 11 years...Q was doing something right.

One of the first quotes I learned in skydiving: There are two types of skydivers - those that have had malfunctions and those that will.

And for those that think you could never pack a "such an easy" malfunction...it happens. I never thought I would either and I was packing for many many years before I started jumping. http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2981482;search_string=jacketsdb23;#2981482

Just because there is no excuse for packing a step through or packing with a brake un-stowed doesn't mean you won't do it. Stay Safe.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

Does it matter if its the 1st, 2nd or 1000+1st packjob?

Yes, It does matter. Its called experience.

Isn't it more important to pack a high performance canopy nice and neat compared to a big boat of a student canopy?? Isn't a big student canopy more forgiving?? (Seriously answer these because if Im wrong every instructor I ever had has lied to me)

I know someone else to also does not care who packs his gear.....

How many cutaways does he have??

did you have the "main closing flap" modification ?

possible a line/group/riser snagged the flap...

please inspect your pin protection main flap.

He doesn't need that main flap mod on his wings. That mod was restricted to a very few unusually small containers. The rig has all the other protection designs in place. There was nowhere on the rig for a snag, and looking at the severe damage to the riser, if there had been any snagging, the material at the snag point would have shown significant damage. There's not much that will cut through a type 17 riser like that. The rig itself is undamaged, and all the grommets are set correctly and undamaged.

One thing will though, and that is microline, vectran and HMA. The riser damage that Q has is consistent with line dump. Whether this happened as part of the malfunction, or as a consequence of it is really impossible to tell. I'm pretty sure that lines got around that riser and came under considerable tension.

Still, knowing Q, his reserve was probably out of date anyway, so it all worked out OK. :P

hey op

this is just curiosity from a low timer but do you think there is any particular reason besides luck that it took you so long to have a cutaway? im assuming you didnt always pack for yourself but where you doing anything yourself that you thought ' this is going to reduce my chances of a mal drastically(sp)?

this is just curiosity from a low timer but do you think there is any particular reason besides luck that it took you so long to have a cutaway? im assuming you didnt always pack for yourself but where you doing anything yourself that you thought ' this is going to reduce my chances of a mal drastically(sp)?

I would say that there is a lot more than luck involved in staying malfunction-free for as long as I managed. However, luck certainly played a part, because (as said before) shit does happen. And, if I had taken all of my own advice/suggestions, I would still be chop-less.

I packed for myself for my first 2000 jumps. You get out what you pack in, and the only way to know what's truly coming off your back is to do it yourself. That being said, I mostly used packers for the last 1400 or so due to instructing, laziness, and various other reasons. A trusted, experienced packer is as good as you'll ever be, but they simply do not ultimately bare the responsibility for your pack job. You do.

Specifically for packing, don't over think it. Run the lines, shake it out, clear the D's, lightly wrap the tail, and put it on the ground. Everything else is just window dressing. Keep the slider against the stops, make sure you have enough free stow, and you'll be just fine.

Gear maintenance is huge. Stay on top of it and it will save you. Untwist your steering lines often or, better yet, don't let them get twisted in the first place. I reline my parachutes on a regular basis. I hang my rigs up and try not to beat them up and I change closing loops before they NEED it.

Don't do tandems and don't jump highly loaded cross-braced parachutes. But, what would the fun be in that? I took up both of those in the same year and I was convinced I wouldn't get through the end of the year without a chop. Wrong! I managed to give up tandems batting 1.000, and any parachute that was subjected to the malfunction I had on my Velocity would have been unlandable.

You pays your money and you takes your chances. Good luck, and be careful.

--Q
-----
Chris "Q" Quaintance
ccqquaintance.com
D-23345

Packing your own malfunction because you did a dodgie pack is one thing BUT paying a "professional" packer who is to lazy to do a simple line check is something totally different. If they couldnt be bothered to do their job properly and they endanger my life i think that is totally unforgivable. Fair enough if they did the best pack job they could do and ended up packing a mal thats tough luck and i wouldnt have a go at them.
Really its not that hard to pack a good canopy, there are really only a few basic things u have to do to get it all true and straight and then shove it in the bag.
Am i on my own here ??
Or is anyone with me?

A professional packer? Did he graduate from pack U? That's funny.

Packing your own malfunction because you did a dodgie pack is one thing BUT paying a "professional" packer who is to lazy to do a simple line check is something totally different. If they couldnt be bothered to do their job properly and they endanger my life i think that is totally unforgivable. Fair enough if they did the best pack job they could do and ended up packing a mal thats tough luck and i wouldnt have a go at them.
Really its not that hard to pack a good canopy, there are really only a few basic things u have to do to get it all true and straight and then shove it in the bag.
Am i on my own here ??
Or is anyone with me?

professional:
2 a: participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/professional

if you are packing for money, that makes you a 'professional' packer...

if you were just packing for the hell of it, it would make you an amateur.

:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Am i on my own here ??
Or is anyone with me?

professional:
2 a: participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/professional

if you are packing for money, that makes you a 'professional' packer...

if you were just packing for the hell of it, it would make you an amateur.

:D

Warning...I'm gonna get boring here.

First of all, good point. Further examinantion of the definition of professional..."characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession".

What are the ethical and technical standards of professional packing?

If a professional has not clearly violated an ethical or technical standard of his/her profession can they still be rightfully accused of being unprofessional outside of packing for free?

It would be an interesting bit if we could know the average mal rate of professional packing and self packing. You never know, maybe hiring a packer, on average, is more reliable than packing your own chute.

I like packing myself, but maybe a case could be made for packers so they can make more money based on the results of the research.

Packers could market themselves as the safer alternative, especially to newbs. Get them hooked when they are young and they are less likely to learn to pack for themselves. Plus, they can justify their added expense by feeling as if it is the safer alternative.

This is kind of like the clever marketing you've seen with the skyhook/limited container choice. I wonder if one of the reasons Vector is so popular is that it is seen as the safer choice. Buy a Vector because it is "safer", because it has skyhookand is manufactured by the company of one of the most, if not the most innovative man in skydiving in terms of safety.

Anyway, my guess on the mal is that the chute was packed professionaly according to the ethical and technical standards of the profession. It just happened to "freak" out that time.

Don't do tandems and don't jump highly loaded cross-braced parachutes. But, what would the fun be in that?
You pays your money and you takes your chances. Good luck, and be careful.

Great quote there.

I was wondering what had happened when I heard about this.

I'm glad to hear your okay Q.

Shawheasel-

Prairie, and Belize 2010, Yeahhh!

well, this may be all worng, but maybe when your riser hit your helmet, it tore it some. That helmet looked like it had a snag point on that "tightener" looking aparatus. Is that close? If it did snag it, then maybe there was un-even riser stuff going on, and hence the spinning, but then I would wonder, if it hit that hard to rip the damn riser, then your neck would be sore, or broken...I dont know..

I think you are onto something. Nylon and sharp objects goes particularly bad together when the nylon is tensioned, such as during opening.