ccq

Name that Malfunction!

Almost sounds like a half step through. Like the harness was flipped between the front and back of one side of the risers. How this wouldn't be caught during packing I haven't a clue.
Close?

It's possible. Although, the more I think about it, the less I think it was a step through/around. It wasn't a straight 360 degree flip of the container (easier to miss packing) but rather one line group around the others (much harder to miss).

I'm thinking on of the risers got hung up coming out of the container or otherwise had significant slack in it during the opening sequence. This is probably what caused it to catch on the plastic buckle on my helmet and then subsequently break it off.

--Q
-----
Chris "Q" Quaintance
ccqquaintance.com
D-23345

Don't worry about it, dude.

All those bozos hammering you either,
A) missed the point of the idiocy of packing a step-through, or
B) are packers who don't want to take responsibility for what they do, or
C) bandwagoneers blindly following the crowd.

I AM getting good info on which packers NOT to employ, though...maybe I should have withheld this post until more names came through.

Note all the "sayings"...they come from a particular type of person. Take note.

Oh and yeah...sometimes shit happens that nobody can be held responsible for so be careful with blaming others. Packing a step-through is not one of them.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

i have only packed 40 canopies in my life. But at least i know how not to pack a step through. If i paid a packer and he packed me a step through i would walk up to him and punch him in the bloody head. plus he would be paying for anything that i lost during the cutaway. To pay a professional packer who doesnt pick up a step through is a absolute joke.

Shhhhhh....quiet. There, there. The adults are talking.

Yes, this was a packing error. Shit happens. I paid my $5, and I took my chances. Not that I'm pleased about it, mind you, but shit happens.

I did have a chat with the packer about the possible causes and how he might avoid that kind of error in the future.

--Q
-----
Chris "Q" Quaintance
ccqquaintance.com
D-23345

I packed my buddy a stepthrough earlier this year. Oops. Definatly not my normal course of action, but it still happend.

This is skydiving. You want to make damn sure you dont have a step through.....DONT SKYDIVE.

pussy.

This is one of the best examples of a packing bozo.

And then calls the guy a pussy on top of it.

:|
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

did you have the "main closing flap" modification ?

possible a line/group/riser snagged the flap...

please inspect your pin protection main flap.

I do not have the mod of which you speak. After both my inspection and that of my rigger, I did have Gareth inspect the harness/container, and specifically the main closing flap. He indicated that the mod was not necessary with my rig and wouldn't have caused or helped this.

--Q
-----
Chris "Q" Quaintance
ccqquaintance.com
D-23345

I had a pc hesitation once, it pulled the closing pin but stayed in the burble a bit. The lines started coming off of the D bag and the pc slipped through a couple of lines. It finally deployed after a couple of seconds into a nice spin-O-rama with a half hitched pc around some lines. This was the very early days of collapseable pc's and I probably didn't check it before the jump. It was a nice soft opening into a violent spin. Very strange. I shortened my closing loop and checked my pc before every jump after my reserve ride!
Shall we discuss this more over rum in Belize?B|
Glad you're OK and didn't knock your block off!

It's possible that the PC had something to do with the slack risers. I don't think we'll ever know.

Ah, Belize! Alas, I do not think I can make it down this year; I've got a broken girlfriend and an extremely light wallet. I'm aiming for 2010, assuming it happens. See ya at the Prairie, though.

--Q
-----
Chris "Q" Quaintance
ccqquaintance.com
D-23345

I'm not trying to say I don't feel I should be held responsible for one of my pack jobs. I'm saying shit happens. The first (and only time at this point...knock on wood) I saw something I packed land under a reserve I went running out in a panic. I felt horrible that I put someone through a reserve ride. I later found out it was due to operator error not packer error but until I found that out I was practically in tears.

I'm just saying that shit happens and if you're going to tear your packer's head off if they make a mistake then I don't wanna be your packer. I've been known to pack 30 rigs in a day. When you're packing that much you're bound to make an honest mistake at some point.

I've already vowed that if I do ever pack someone a malfunction that was my fault I'll by them a case as a way of saying I'm sorry. :)

you know I agree on the " they allow you to rest" part but I don't think I have found it to be truly faster to use a packer than doing it myself I guess I'm a fairly fast packer. and don't get me wrong if i can find someone i trust to take my money I'll keep using packers. I didn't get this fat without being lazy. I allways unstow the slider and set the brakes anyway. and I don't mind running the lines and doing the actual propack. but once Ithrow it down on the floor in the heart shape I want to walk away and let someone else do the sweaty part. been looking for a packer that will be johnny on the spot at that point and let me make all the loads i can.
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

i have only packed 40 canopies in my life. But at least i know how not to pack a step through. If i paid a packer and he packed me a step through i would walk up to him and punch him in the bloody head. plus he would be paying for anything that i lost during the cutaway. To pay a professional packer who doesnt pick up a step through is a absolute joke.

Eh... tick, tock
Owned by Remi #?

I thought a "flip through" was basically a step through done while the canopy is flying by doing a flip though the risers. I could be wrong. Hell, I dont even know if thats possible.

If you pull a ripcord on a springloaded pilotchute equipped rig while on your back, you may well watch the pilotchute and D-bag come out between your legs. You have just enough time to say "oh shit" and the opening canopy pulls you through 3/4 of a backflip. Your momentum continues the flip around one more time. You now have a flip-through. On a 288 manta student canopy, you can still release the brakes and have full control even though the lines have one full twist in them. Near whiplash in the neck is very painful. Getting your ass chewed off by your instructor is very embarrassing. I am living proof that it is possible. Try it if you want, but trust me, it isn't real fun.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Meh, since this post has gotten completely off topic...

I will add that a step thru is not an automatic cutaway. I have landed two of them, and never chopped one. Do a good control check, and determine if you can take it down.

First one, I somehow switched my stuff around when taking my risers off the container to clean some mud off (yes.. that was stupid:S and I should have put a heavy object on the risers to keep them in place)

Second one, I saw this old guy who always did his locking stows then took the bag down to the container to do the rest of the stows since it was faster than walking it down. He has 2800 jumps of doing this without a mal. I thought that I could do this too if I was careful enough... and I wasn't:S so I flipped the bag thru the lines.

In both of my step thru's the twists came all the way down to the risers and effectively put them in a candy cane shape. Not really hard at all to land normally in this configuration. Your results may vary;)

Here is what a packer did for me recently on a tandem. woohoo!

Ah, so thats a Cincinnati Bowtie...

I always thought it was something sexual :P
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

Ive heard many a packer say "you pay for the packjob not the opening", which is why I will nearly always pack my own rig.

I pack for others time to time. They put their trust in my hand. If you don't trust a packer than don't use it. Do not forget they allow you to rest or take that load which you could not make by yourself.

Well said. I trust my packer and he does care about my openings, but he's been packing for me long enough and on the same gear now that it's pretty well worked out. Heck he even knows when I'm wing suiting and packs my pilot differently. I do try to tip well. :)

I'm thinking on of the risers got hung up coming out of the container or otherwise had significant slack in it during the opening sequence. This is probably what caused it to catch on the plastic buckle on my helmet and then subsequently break it off.

I have jumped 20-30 packjobs done by the guy who packed for you on this jump. In my experience, he is pretty good at getting the canopy in the bag straight and symmetrical (the openings have been better than from my own packjobs), but does a poor job at dressing the rig in other aspects. I have seen the bridle between main pin and BOC insufficiently tucked in, a bit of main PC fabric sticking out, and then the thing that really comes to mind in your case:

More than once, he has put my main risers directly on top of my reserve risers. Those of you with Wings rigs will note that this is underneath the flap that says "Place main risers ON TOP of this flap". Especially with a low amount of excess line after the last stow, I could easily see this causing a riser slap on your helmet. Then one riser hangs on your helmet buckle, they load unevenly, a Velocity comes out of the bag, and it's off to the races.

Really its not that hard to pack a good canopy, there are really only a few basic things u have to do to get it all true and straight and then shove it in the bag.
Am i on my own here ??
Or is anyone with me?

Dude, Are you kidding about this post?? You Jump a freaking 215sf canopy and only have 40 pack jobs. This is about a high performance canopy not a humongous student canopy.

Have you ever jumped a VELOCITY loaded at 2.2???

Also, I don't think anybody said for sure that this was a step-through.

Really its not that hard to pack a good canopy, there are really only a few basic things u have to do to get it all true and straight and then shove it in the bag.
Am i on my own here ??
Or is anyone with me?

Dude, Are you kidding about this post?? You Jump a freaking 215sf canopy and only have 40 pack jobs. This is about a high performance canopy not a humongous student canopy.

Have you ever jumped a VELOCITY loaded at 2.2???

Also, I don't think anybody said for sure that this was a step-through.

Dude, do you know the big difference between you and him? He does have faith and you do not.

Packing is not a rocket science. I have met this kindda guy. He really does not care who packs his rig, even a student under a licensed jumpers supervison.

I have been jumping around WL 2.2. I got lot relaxed than before. You know and see what matters and what does not.

I have met this kindda guy. He really does not care who packs his rig, even a student under a licensed jumpers supervison.

Of course he doesn't care who packs his canopy, its not a velocity 111. Its a 215 sf canopy.

Rocket science is very simple compared to the complexity of a parachute......haha